Went from 121 lbs to 129 in a day

Options
I know this is not even possible. But there I was ecstatic about losing 18 lbs. am the next day it went up 9 lbs. within a few days later same result of 9 lbs more than before. I even tested my scale using a weigt. And it was spot on.
What. The heck. Is going on.
I don't even know what to think anymore.

Replies

• 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You say you lost 18 pounds. Was that over a period of time? Or in one big jump? If the latter then I think the scales were off. Gaining 9 pounds in a day doesn't sound right. But you can have an increase of several pounds if you have fluid retention.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Just keep going don't think about it. Just hit your weekly goals and you'll continue to lose as before.
  • franticfoxx
    franticfoxx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm saying. Not possible. But how was my scale rigt when I weighed my kettlebell? So upsetting. A
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1) Was the scale moved?
    2) Are you weighing at the same time everyday?
    3) Are you weighing in clothes or naked?
    4) When was the last time you changed the batteries in the scale?
    5) Is it possible the scale is malfunctioning?

Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm saying. Not possible. But how was my scale rigt when I weighed my kettlebell? So upsetting. A

The scale's not wrong. What's off is your understanding of the weight--it's water. There's no possible way to gain 9 lbs of fat or muscle in a day.

It's just water retention from varying things: hormones, exercise, maybe a little extra sodium the day before.

Keep doing what you're doing and it'll go away.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

It's because you DID gain 9lbs in a day, but it's from water. My personal record was 8.5lbs overnight!

Scales are perhaps the biggest problem for people trying to lose weight. They don't measure anything BUT weight (which is relatively meaningless). I stick to weighing myself usually once a week, and under the same conditions.
  • franticfoxx
    Options
    Very helpful thank you. I have just started running for about 3 weeks and go about everyday except one day. Couch to 5k training. I haven't taken any real breaks longer than a day. Could this effect my progress ?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Very helpful thank you. I have just started running for about 3 weeks and go about everyday except one day. Couch to 5k training. I haven't taken any real breaks longer than a day. Could this effect my progress ?

If your body doesn't get adequate enough repair (rest, calories eaten, etc.), it'll be more prone to water retention. I tend to lose weight more frequently when I have two rest days a week (I just have a hard time making myself rest!).

So it's not affecting your progress in weight loss (water retention can be shed), but it COULD end up affecting your progress in endurance.
  • franticfoxx
    Options

If your body doesn't get adequate enough repair (rest, calories eaten, etc.), it'll be more prone to water retention. I tend to lose weight more frequently when I have two rest days a week (I just have a hard time making myself rest!).

So it's not affecting your progress in weight loss (water retention can be shed), but it COULD end up affecting your progress in endurance.

Yes it's hard to take breaks ! Lol. I'll try to take 2 days off. Hopefully that would help
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If you recognize that the scale weighs more than just fat, you can accept it as a medical tool and use it to your advantage. Sudden gains or unwarranted stalls have sent me back into my food diary to discover hidden sources of sugar or sodium (BOTH can cause water retention) as well as particular patterns of exercise and eating that yield losses vs. gains of water. Managing water weight is important too, as it is a good reflection of liver and kidney function, and retention can sometimes be the first signs of heart disease or cancer. So make friends with the scale and realize that it's a powerful tool for monitoring your HEALTH, not your worth as a human or as a potential partner. Any gains like that which are persistent or don't go away with 4-6 weeks should be check by a doctor. Water retention was one of the first things that told me I had cancer and led to my very early diagnosis and successful survival. Don't dismiss the scale, makes friends with it! <3
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    An odd thing I found about rest. For a whole week I had been stuck at 177. Took a week off of exercise and droppped to 175. It was odd but I think rest can play a part.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    For her to gain 9 lbs in a day she would have had to take in 9 lbs of something, right? I mean, you can't create matter out of nothing so whether it was 9 lbs of food, 9 lbs of water or if she was holding her cat...she didn't get it out of thin air. I vote for faulty scale.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have just started running for about 3 weeks and go about everyday except one day. Couch to 5k training. I haven't taken any real breaks longer than a day. Could this effect my progress ?

Wait - what? Couch to 5k isn't an "everyday" program, it has regular off-days built in. Are you saying you don't use them?
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I know this is not even possible. But there I was ecstatic about losing 18 lbs. am the next day it went up 9 lbs. within a few days later same result of 9 lbs more than before. I even tested my scale using a weigt. And it was spot on.
    What. The heck. Is going on.
    I don't even know what to think anymore.

If you've been on some massively brutal starvation diet that makes you lose heaps of weight in a short period of time, then about 4kg of it WILL be fluid released when the glycogen bonded to it is used.

the moment you eat anything better than starvation rations, it'll try to replace itself.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

Did you weigh your kettle bell each time, or just when it was reading high. My guess, and it is only a guess is that it malfunctions some times. You might try to change the battery as one poster suggested and see if it is more consistent.

One can retain water from extra salt, sugar or hormones--it usually isn't as high as 9 pounds but can be as much as 4 or 5 pounds.

Sometimes scales aren't always the best measurement for weight loss. I weigh once a month with my personal trainer and only lost 2 pounds that month but quite a bit of inches off my waist and hips.

And I noticed that the scales in the doctor's office always weigh 5 or 6 pounds heavier than my scales at home.