Energy for medical student?

Options
So I am trying to lose weight and all that, but I'm back to school. It's really busy, and I mean busy, no time for snacks or anything. As we just got back we've got break until Monday, but teacher warned us that it will be super busy...and I can only imagine if now we don't have time to even snack , HOW busy will it be next week with all labs and stuff.
My question is what can I drink to keep me going. Studying until 12 am and waking up at 6, plus school/lab is exhausting...I feel like I can't even function...any healthIER option?(RedBull is my love, but obvi it's baaad)

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Proper nutrition, water, and sleep when you can. Even if it's 6 hours.

Coffee is good.
  • gonabfit
    gonabfit Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    What year medical student are you? I remember being very tired... but after a while I got used to it and was able to still make it. No matter how busy you are, you can put peanuts or a fiber bar in your pocket and snack between patients or even in the bathroom if necessary (sounds gross but better than passing out on the hospital floor.)

I had friends who packed dry cereal or protein shakes in their bookbag, but then you will need water. all depends on what year in medical school you are. If you're in class, you can always pack a snack and eat it in lecture.

Oh and I drank coffee/water all the time. Slept when I could... but mostly was sleep deprived.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Proper nutrition, water, and sleep when you can. Even if it's 6 hours.

Coffee is good.

Coffee is great, but I can't tolerate it well...blood pressure, nosebleeds.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    What year medical student are you? I remember being very tired... but after a while I got used to it and was able to still make it. No matter how busy you are, you can put peanuts or a fiber bar in your pocket and snack between patients or even in the bathroom if necessary (sounds gross but better than passing out on the hospital floor.)

I had friends who packed dry cereal or protein shakes in their bookbag, but then you will need water. all depends on what year in medical school you are. If you're in class, you can always pack a snack and eat it in lecture.

Oh and I drank coffee/water all the time. Slept when I could... but mostly was sleep deprived.

It's a second quarter, out of 9. It's a college program to get certificate and then for diploma.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    No suggestions other than coffee?
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi there! First year medical student here, so I definitely feel you on the busy schedule.

I've found that staying hydrated with water and making sure to eat fruits and veggies when I can have been the most helpful. What's your breakfast like? I am usually very sluggish if I don't eat breakfast. Having cereal and bananas on hand has been really helpful for those mornings when I'm running tight on time.

Also, even if you could find 10-15 min and take a walk, get active for a study break - that would likely help as well. I have been trying to work out 3 days a week for 45 min each (it doesn't always work out, studies first obviously) but I look at it as more of a stress relief that feels good than "oh gosh i need to get a workout in)

Remember, studying is important, but you need to take breaks as well to let all that info sink in :)
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Hi there! First year medical student here, so I definitely feel you on the busy schedule.

I've found that staying hydrated with water and making sure to eat fruits and veggies when I can have been the most helpful. What's your breakfast like? I am usually very sluggish if I don't eat breakfast. Having cereal and bananas on hand has been really helpful for those mornings when I'm running tight on time.

Also, even if you could find 10-15 min and take a walk, get active for a study break - that would likely help as well. I have been trying to work out 3 days a week for 45 min each (it doesn't always work out, studies first obviously) but I look at it as more of a stress relief that feels good than "oh gosh i need to get a workout in)

Remember, studying is important, but you need to take breaks as well to let all that info sink in :)

Oh, no breakfast for me,lol. I always tried to force myself eat in the morning and it never works well(I don't feel well after it) , get up, do morning routine and out of the door. I do eat cheese on the way to school. Something that is solid and one piece is perfect.
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat a good balanced diet and are hitting at least 1200 calories. Keep protein high snacks and fruit on you! Water!!!!
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ah got ya! Quickly glancing through your food diary I do notice that you eat a very small amount. I wonder if trying to get some more calorie dense foods in to get closer to your goal of 1500 a day might help give you a bit more energy?
  • eleanorlove
    eleanorlove Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 2nd year med in New Zealand - we've got exams in 3weeks eeeeek so I'm super stressed right now!

I find it a good idea to take a couple hours on a sunday, and use that time to relax, and also to prepare food for the week. I cook lots of pumpkin and make lunches, and then you can always take small bags of almonds or other nuts, carrot sticks, or cook a big frittata and cut it into lunch-time pieces and take that?

I think just make time to eat! It sounds like you're crazy busy, but there must be time at some point just to take a 10 minute break and grab something to eat!

Good luck!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    How about a protein shake or smoothie that you could sip on all day? You can pack a lot of good nutrition into one.
  • bmramsey0614
    bmramsey0614 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I am in pharmacy school and began my weight loss journey when I started pharmacy school/right before. Here is some advice I have for you.

1). As a student in a graduate program you are more than likely alwyas crunched for time. Key is be smart. Time management. On Sundays it is my rest day so instead of going to the gym I use the time I would normally go to the gym to grocery shop and prepare meals for the week. I have individual containers for lunch and dinner and divide up my meals for the week. I use shake-n-bake a lot but it has sodium in it but I enjoy the variety it offers. But I make meals out for about 5 days. I found having a balanced diet and eating throughout the day (i eat around 6 times a day) keeps my energy level up.

2). Drink Tea and Coffee. Hot tea has a lot of caffeine in it depending on what kind you have. That's another way to keep energy levels up.

3). Power nap. Every day after class I take a 20-30 minute power nap and it gets me through the rest of the day.

Good luck. Remember time management is key. I have to make sure that I have planned out my time accordingly to do this.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Sorry, but im not really asking about nutrition...I am asking about a drink, like red bull or something.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Food is nothing when you are exhausted lol
  • bmramsey0614
    Options

Read my entire post. Tea and coffee are the best way to go. Red bull is awful for you. I tried giving you advice all around.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options

Read my entire post. Tea and coffee are the best way to go. Red bull is awful for you. I tried giving you advice all around.

And I said I can't drink coffee...and tea doesn't give me energy whatsoever.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    So I am trying to lose weight and all that, but I'm back to school. It's really busy, and I mean busy, no time for snacks or anything. As we just got back we've got break until Monday, but teacher warned us that it will be super busy...and I can only imagine if now we don't have time to even snack , HOW busy will it be next week with all labs and stuff.
    My question is what can I drink to keep me going. Studying until 12 am and waking up at 6, plus school/lab is exhausting...I feel like I can't even function...any healthIER option?(RedBull is my love, but obvi it's baaad)

When i started medical school I was 257 pounds when i finally had the courage to get on a scale - prolly 265-270 at my highest and when i finished basic science i was close to 210 - now I am at 178-180, it can be done just gotta force yourself to prepack foods and make yourself go to the gym.

the excuse of medschool is busy so you dont have time (not saying you are saying this) is bull**** so many of my colleagues got fatter because of all the late night binging while studying - there is no healthy way to do it during basic science pound caffeine - eat as healthy as you can (fruits, veggies, sandwiches were a god send) get your 5 hours of sleep a night and make sure you get to the gym (was a great stress reliever for me)

it gets easier during clinicals when all you have to do is avoid the free food
  • Docmahi
    Options

how is redbull awful for you? what are you basing that on - I drank cases and effing cases of sugar free redbull during med school - plus pounded caffeine pills

you have to do it - to get the job done
  • Docmahi
    Options

this is all very true as well
  • bmramsey0614
    Options

Have you tried Awake tea?