No Knead-No Hassle Artisan Bread

Options
annabellep1
annabellep1 Posts: 36 Member
My friend on here wanted to see this very easy-to-make bread. It's very versatile. It may not be carb-friendly, but because it's pretty simple, it's pretty low cal and sodium for bread. The key, as always, is moderation. This loaf makes a GREAT gift, and several can be made at a time.

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast ( I use active dry)
1.5 cups tap water

Add flour, salt, and yeast to a bowl. Whisk together. Add water and mix well. Cover bowl in plastic wrap and leave on counter for 12-24 hours. Trust me. It'll be okay. Do not, under any circumstances, refrigerate!

Next day: Preheat oven to 450. Put a covered pot with a lid in the oven and preheat it for 30 minutes. While pot is preheating, turn out dough onto a floured surface and shape into a round loaf. Sprinkle with flour and let rest while pot heats. Remove pot from oven and remove lid. Dump dough into ungreased pot. Secure lid on pot and put in oven. Bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take off lid and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and turn out of pot onto cooling rack immediately. Let cool at least 5 minutes before slicing. Makes about 16 moderately sized slices.

You can make this bread using any combination of flavored ingredients that go with bread. Examples include bacon-cheddar, jalapeno- cheddar, cranberry-orange-almond, lemon-poppy seed, etc. My favorite is a Lemon-Guyere-Rosemary version. Experimenting is fun!

Replies

• operaprincess1
    operaprincess1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ohhh, yum. My husband makes this for me. It's my favorite. I love it when he uses Kalamata olives and Fontina cheese. It doesn't last long at our house.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    oh man, I gotta try this. nothing beats a fresh baked loaf. i think i will try a garlic & rosemary or cheese & spinach combo....thanks!
  • khgraves
    khgraves Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious!
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Looks great...thanks for sharing!
  • RangiRose
    Options
    Will make this Saturday for family lunch..thank-you.:flowerforyou:
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Pictures?
  • haterhaze
    haterhaze Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm a baker and I approve this topic.
  • winterskykim
    winterskykim Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    when do you add the lemon and poppyseed..or extra ingred??
  • annabellep1
    annabellep1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    when do you add the lemon and poppyseed..or extra ingred??

Good question, and I'm sorry I was remiss in that detail. You want to add the extra ingredients to the flour mixture before adding the water. Just whisk it in there with the flour, salt & yeast. I've made the lemon gruyere version, bacon cheddar jalapeno, just plain cheddar, and an olive sun-dried tomato loaf. Do be careful not to add too many sun dried tomatoes if you do that loaf, and I'd recommend using SDT soaked in oil and added to the water, instead of the flour beforehand.

Sorry I don't how to add picture. It's a pretty fail safe recipe, though. I usually cook mine in my dutch oven, which is the perfect device, but I have also made it in my Pyrex casserole dish.
  • winterskykim
    winterskykim Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    can't wait to try this.. I love crunchy fresh bread. thanks
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump sounds so good
  • chubber231
    chubber231 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • engian
    engian Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump. Sounds fantastic. We will give a try this week. Thank you for sharing it.

Cheers,

Elia
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • samr73
    samr73 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options