Not losing WT, but losing inches

Options
Why am I not losing Weight ? I can tell that my body is toning up and Ive lost inches. But when I step on the scale it still says the same. Anyone else have tis problem?

Replies

• rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really call that a problem! Losing inches is awesome. Keep doing what you're doing..you are seeing success. I'm sure the weight will follow eventually.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    get rid of the scale.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Why am I not losing Weight ? I can tell that my body is toning up and Ive lost inches. But when I step on the scale it still says the same. Anyone else have tis problem?

I am in the same boat as you, it is frustrating the hell out of me. I guess eventually the scale will start moving downwards.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat, so volume-wise it will weigh more while taking up less space. The best thing you can do is build muscle which means that whatever you're doing is clearly working. The more muscle you have, the less at risk you will be for osteoporosis, the higher your BMR will be and the healthier you will be over all. Keep up the fantastic work; the scale means almost nothing in the scope of working towards a healthier body.
  • Photogg
    Options
    I agree with hwillmott, get rid of the scale. As long as you are feeling good and are improving your life style......cause that is what this is really all about! improving ones self and losing inches is great improvement. Keep it up way to!!!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    sorry....what's the problem again?
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree, hide the scale away for a bit (like a month).
    If you're losing inches, then your body is working to make you healthier.
    If you're not yet near where your body is happy to maintain, then you'll start losing again soon enough.

Try not to obsess over the number or you could end up falling off the wagon... Then you'll start seeing your numbers move in the wrong direction!
  • Deborah100660
    Deborah100660 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have the same issue. I have dealt with this previously when I was at my fittest. Muscle weighs more than fat. You might even gain weight like I did. The inches you lose are fat. This is what you want to put on lean muscle and decrease fat. I don't monitor BMI, instead I monitor my body fat which is more accurate. You can purchase fat calipers on the internet at a fairly low cost. The muscle you put on will burn more calories and increase your metabolism. Your body develops set points where it tries to maintain the weight you have been at. Eventually, you will start losing. Keep up the good work.

Deborah
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yeah i had that problem! Didn't lose weight for 5 months but dropped 3 pants sizes! I blame muscle water retention!
    Just keep doing what you have been doing, your weight will eventually catch up! Congrats!
  • HealthyNurseK
    HealthyNurseK Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an awesome "problem" to me. Not sure how much you have left to lose...but that muscle you're building is going to help burn off a lot of that extra fat you're trying to toss.

Gaining muscle and losing inches should be prioritized over the number on the scale - it's what's going to keep you healthy. The number on the scale is ultimately just arbitrary!