sober and feeling great

Options
Hey all,

I'm 8.5 months into recovery, and have lost in excess of 40lbs so far thanks to not drinking, or using, and watching what i eat. Now, I'm starting to use a trainer and am hitting the gym everyday. (in addition to surfing on the weekends) I haven't felt this good in 20 years, and I'm applying the lessons I've learned in AA to working out and getting healthy - namely, one day at a time. :) Hopefully in the next few months I'll be leaner, even healthier, and really in shape for the first time in years.

Stoked!

Dave 2.0

Replies

• teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you. I know from personal experience that it isn't an easy process to get sober (and STAY sober, more importantly). It's great that you are working on a healthier you! Congrats on your loss as well... You've found a great place to help you keep going!
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    been in recovery for almost 7 years... when i first sobered up i began working out religiously then one day just stopped. took me till after the birth of my daughter to realize if im gonna promote a good healthier life it really does begin with me.
    kuddos to you!!!! its a long journey but can be done!!!!!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Dave! Those are some amazing gifts that you are giving yourself.
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congrats Dave!! You are so right. Food addiction needs to be approached like any addiction, and AA is a great resource for learning how to be healthy too!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Awesome that your choice of a sober lifestyle has given you a new perspective on your health! Great job!
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're sober. I know what you mean about the weight loss. Booze is how I gained 20 lbs practically overnight, and cutting down to once a week is how I've lost the weight again. Heck, I probably wouldn't even have to diet if I just never drank... the weight would slowly melt off by itself.
  • DeputySox
    Options
    Congratulations! Sobriety rocks! Been sober since 121308. Easy does it, amigo!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Congratulation, Dave... Each milestone will be huge to help you keep from looking back... Each tough patch will offer you a reason to look back. Remember how you feel now, write it down and use it as a milestone for those tough times that will come... April 22, 1988 was my last drink... You can do it but you must give yourself clear signs that you can't turn back. Hope you have a great sponsor and plenty of support if not you have an electronic buddy here... Feel free to add me. Anyone is welcome to add me.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I'm 8.5 months into recovery, and have lost in excess of 40lbs so far thanks to not drinking, or using, and watching what i eat. Now, I'm starting to use a trainer and am hitting the gym everyday. (in addition to surfing on the weekends) I haven't felt this good in 20 years, and I'm applying the lessons I've learned in AA to working out and getting healthy - namely, one day at a time. :) Hopefully in the next few months I'll be leaner, even healthier, and really in shape for the first time in years.

Stoked!

Dave 2.0

GREAT! Now go to YouTube and listen to THIS: Nina Simone 'Feeling Good'. I've been rockin this all day!
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Congratz on ur sobriety! I totally sucked at rehab & AA/NA... it took a near death experience 2 knock me out of addiction & 2 get motivated 2 change my life... It's strange 2 me how much I focus on my health since I'm not in my addiction anymore... Back then I couldn't have gafl what I was doing 2 myself... but now I can occasionally go out on the weekends & have a cpl or few margaritas & still stay on track but alcohol wasn't my main addiction so I know not every1 can do that... I think it's all on our own time & when we're ready... Best wishes!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Friend of Bill W here with 13+ years sober! Congrats on your recovery! it only gets better from here! :) sending FR now!
  • jillyk89
    jillyk89 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm def not sober :-( wah
  • andromedasuite
    Options
    Badass!!! I'm in another fellowship, and I also have a family member in recovery. Keep up the good work! Since you have over eight months, I assume you have a sponsor. Sobriety is so wonderful, I'm so happy for you. Yay!
  • 13ftw67
    13ftw67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been clean and sober almost 7 years went from homeless to a legit six figure income so if I joined a cult then so be it. I always love the guy who bashes something he most likely failed at himself. Gyms are cultish working out can be an addiction. I will say staying fit and eating clean is as challenging and possibly more difficult than staying sober. I have had many food binges and fell off the fitness wagon way more than I relapsed with the other stuff. Congrats positive effort generates positive results in almost all areas of life...
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Congrats on getting clean and getting healthier by losing your excess weight. When I got clean I gained a ton of weight so you are waaaay ahead of the game. I've been sober ten years now. It's literally the best choice I have ever made! :) Any of you are more than welcome to add me,love my mfp pals.
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your sobriety and healthy lifestyle, man!

Coming from somebody who comes from a long line of addicts...this is the best thing you can do for your family / yourself.

And I think AA is totally legitimate - anything that has a proven track record of helping thousands of people to recover can't be completely written off as bull...so keep on being sober, healthy and awesome!
  • AlexiScott
    Options
    Righteous!