Tape measure vs Fat Calipers

Options
Hi! Can someone please tell me what's the most accurate in measuring body fat %? I've done both and the tape measure says I'm 23.34% and the calipers say I'm around the 20% mark. I know it doesn't really matter but I would love to know!
I'm 42, weigh 142lb and am 5' 8" tall with a medium frame

Replies

• anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't know the real answer, but personally I feel like I carry all my fat where the callipers go. When I was about 18 (5''2, 125 lbs) I was checked and it showed something like 32% fat. Maybe it wasn't measured right? Even my teacher said it didn't seem possible. Your numbers a pretty close though so I would probaby go with the callipers. Maybe your tape wasn't in the exact place it should've been?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Tape measures cannot measure a body fat % with any accuracy. (Although tape measurements are an excellent way to determine that you are actually losing fat--there just are not any good formula using tape measurements to determine a body fat % number).

So, in this choice, calipers are the only option. However, for accuracy in using calipers you need to have someone who is experienced at taking the measurements. They are difficult to accurate do on yourself (and for females they are impossible, since one of the sites is the triceps, which you cannot accurately measure on yourself).

Calipers are difficult to use is one has a lot of visceral fat, or on those who are really obese.

But for a younger person under 40% body fat, a set of calipers used by a trained professional is probably has the best combination of accuracy. cost, and availability.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you go to this website it has detailed instructions on how to take your b/f measurements with the Calipers and even has short movie clips showing how to take each body part measurement. I found it very helpful.

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you go to this website it has detailed instructions on how to take your b/f measurements with the Calipers and even has short movie clips showing how to take each body part measurement. I found it very helpful.

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

Yes this is the site I used for the tape measure measurements. I've not done the calipers on this site as, as Azdak previously mentioned, I need a willing helper!! I just used the calipers on the one site as instructed with the details with the calipers!
  • supafly419
    supafly419 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest you the caliper. I use it since about 2 month now and double checked my BF% at the doc. The difference is around 1.0.
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    They're both fairly inaccurate compared to BodPod, underwater weighing, or DEXA scans, but both work just fine for tracking bodyfat changes. The actual number will be different between the 2, but the change over time is consistent. I used both as I tracked my bf% from about 34% to my current 16%
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I use a tape measure and the fat2fit calculator because as previous poster said unless you have someone to do the caliper measurements for you its difficult to do, I use a tape measure and calculator to follow the trend rather than knowing the exact amount.

My advice is to pick a method and just use that, as all will yield different results :happy:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I use a tape measure and the fat2fit calculator because as previous poster said unless you have someone to do the caliper measurements for you its difficult to do, I use a tape measure and calculator to follow the trend rather than knowing the exact amount.

My advice is to pick a method and just use that, as all will yield different results :happy:

this
    just pick one method that is fairly easy and stick to it. even BodPod altough on average accurate, for individuals cab be off up to 10%.
    whatever you chose tape or callipers, you will be able to track the progress.
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I didn't like the fat2fit calculator as it doesn't ask for height! I'm 5'8" so my measurements are going to mean something totally different to someone who is 5' with the same measurements. However, I agree, the trend is more important - I suppose if I'm honest I just want it to tell me I'm in the fitness catagory - not just average :smooched:
  • SunshineWen
    Options
    I would also suggest you the caliper. I use it since about 2 month now and double checked my BF% at the doc. The difference is around 1.0.

Were you referring to the difference between using callipers and measuring tape when you said that the "difference" us around 1.0? And is 1.0 in percentage?

941333.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods