White rice for modest weigh reduction or maintenance

Options
Being of Asian origins, white rice is a major staple. But at 200+ calories for about one cup of cooked rice, it's a caloric bomb. So, not good for either weight reduction or maintenance to eat to much of it. I'm wondering if anyone out there has a sensible limit on how much white rice to consume per day. I'm trying to lose a few pounds to lessen the love handles. My max intake in 1630 (2100 with my usual exercise routine) calories per day. So, I'm thinking one cup of cooked rice for one meal per day?

Thanks

Replies

• LadyBenihime
    LadyBenihime Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I often eat 1 - 1.5 cups of white rice a day .. I just fit it into my calorie intake.. and to keep the calories lower on the meal I just pair it with steamed veggies and chicken breast..
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have rice at least twice a day, so I have reduced myself slowly but surely from 1 cup at every meal to 1/2 a cup and sometimes even just 1/4 a cup now.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Being of Asian origins, white rice is a major staple. But at 200+ calories for about one cup of cooked rice, it's a caloric bomb. So, not good for either weight reduction or maintenance to eat to much of it. I'm wondering if anyone out there has a sensible limit on how much white rice to consume per day. I'm trying to lose a few pounds to lessen the love handles. My max intake in 1630 (2100 with my usual exercise routine) calories per day. So, I'm thinking one cup of cooked rice for one meal per day?

Thanks

I prefer the taste of brown rice, and it has 150 calories per serving (I buy the 5 minute prep kind). I didn't realize white rice had more calories? I always add mushrooms and lots of veggies to my rice (like an entire bell pepper, 1/2 an onion, a whole package of mushrooms and a carrot), and it makes a LOT of food-I have to put it in an extra large bowl lol. And it's under 300 calories. I get a lot of food that keeps me full for several hours, for a pretty small calorie load. And it's healthy :) I usually eat this once a day or every other day.
  • i2rsantos
    Options
    Brown, rice has the same calorie count as white. I got eh white rice figure from a Google search, which means calorie counting seems a bit imprecise!
  • i2rsantos
    Options
    Oops parboiled rice does rate less calories. :smile:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just stay in your budget. It doesn't matter what you eat.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    If that's your carb of choice have it whenever you like.

I don't see why 2 cups a day would be so bad. it's only 200 cals. That's the same as the panini I just had for lunch.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I eat jasmine rice at least once a week (mainly because my bf is chinese), maybe more. I find it more satiating than other starches, like pasta. 200 calories is doable. Just add lots of veggies and protein like someone else said and you won't notice how "little" a cup is.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat lettuce/romaine salad every dinner time when I tend to eat a lot of rice. I find that eating the salad first helps curb my desire to load up on the white rice. I used to eat 3-4 cups of rice every meal (no wonder I got big), now I can manage with 1 or 1/2 cup per meal if I have my salad.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I just compensate the lack of rice with more meat (ulam) =P It takes some time to get used to but eventually you'd get used to eating lesser and lesser rice daily. Of course, I give myself some days (mostly weekends when with family) where I eat rice to my hearts' content (I need these days to stay sane).
  • bookwormjoy
    bookwormjoy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For me, being Filipino, white rice is the devil. I cannot just have a little bit. It is an addiction for me. I stay away at ALL cost. This is the truth for just me.

8824663.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    As much as you want, provided it doesn't interfere with your other macros. As long as you're getting enough protein, fat, fiber, and vitamins, eat as much white rice as you want.
  • i2rsantos
    Options
    Yeah, that's the thing for me. :smile: I think Filipinos have naturally so much rice in their diet that now my DNA is permanently changed and I go through rice withdrawal. Unfortunately, all that rice is going straight to my love handles. Personally, trying to stick to 200 cals per day of rice will be a Herculean effort.
  • i2rsantos
    Options
    I eat lettuce/romaine salad every dinner time when I tend to eat a lot of rice. I find that eating the salad first helps curb my desire to load up on the white rice. I used to eat 3-4 cups of rice every meal (no wonder I got big), now I can manage with 1 or 1/2 cup per meal if I have my salad.

Thanks, a very good strategy. I have to say that the moment I smell rice cooking, I start to salivate. :smile:
  • cem614
    cem614 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    YES! There is not one family get together where we don't have lumpia, pancit, and white rice...and when I make it, I can just throw some fish with it and eat a ton, so I try to rarely make it at home.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    OMG..there is NOTHING better than Calrose Botan Sticky Rice....I had it once this week and overindulged because it is so good I cannot control myself..so I feel your pain...I get those Uncle Ben microwaveable one serving brown rice containers, then bulk up on chicken, pepper and onions and it is something that I can deal with...ohhhh rice, how I love thee.....