gabapentin/neurontin....gain weight or neutral ?

Options
I have been on this before for a neck injury, went to a new dr, he took me off right away due to the fact (he said"that'll make you fat") he didn't want me gaining anymore weight with my injury. Now, I'm seeing a new dr for phantomosia, they want me to go back on it. I don't know if you actually gain weight from it, but for the first time in years, i'm starting to lose weight & I don't want to take it.....has anyone taken gabapentin and not gained ?

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I took it for several years and never noticed a weight gain from it. My mom never did either. I think the perceived weight gain probably has more to do with the inactivity due to the pain/injury that the med was first prescribed for.

I had severe leg pains radiating from nerve damage in my back, and neurontin probably saved my life.
  • Pcmanbc
    Pcmanbc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes I have taken Nueronton for many years because of a neck injury. I have lost 40 lbs in the last several months.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It isn't making me gain and I've been on it for about a year.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Oh that's great to hear !!! Thanks for your responses, though everyone is different, I definitely will give it another try without as much worry !!!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'm on it, too, also for a neck/upper back neuropathy. No weight gain here from it, either :)

Oh, I've been on it for years. I didn't gain and lost weight great a few years ago. I just gained it back since from getting completely lazy ;)
  • tcb4tlc
    Options
    I've also been on it for years and my weight gains and loss have no correlation. However I did weigh a lot more before I started and I think that only has to do with increased activity because it helps with pain control.
  • kumarkishlay
    Options
    I had a knee ligament injury while playing cricket 2 years back. I went for some physio-therapy exercises, it was healed to the extent that I dont problem in running,playing, doing all the exercises. But whenever I jump from a good height, It becomes excruciating painful for me and the pain would go after 2-3 weeks. My question is, " Can i go leg training? Will that hurt my ligaments more." My surgery of ligament was nt done, because I had healed well at the time of injury by exercises.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I had a knee ligament injury while playing cricket 2 years back. I went for some physio-therapy exercises, it was healed to the extent that I dont problem in running,playing, doing all the exercises. But whenever I jump from a good height, It becomes excruciating painful for me and the pain would go after 2-3 weeks. My question is, " Can i go leg training? Will that hurt my ligaments more." My surgery of ligament was nt done, because I had healed well at the time of injury by exercises.

This is a question only your doctor can answer