Help! Outing with my colleagues!

Options
Hi,

Our work place has planned this outing which includes Bowling followed by a lunch at Papa John's. Now how they chose Papa John's for team lunch is something I don't understand(We generally go for proper restaurants, where making food choices is relatively easier).

I checked out the menu and the only healthy thing I could find are Salads or Pasta(if I make a lot of changes). Now I don't want anyone to know I am counting calories, because its not just my team but a few other teams as well. And everyone will definitely be having pizza, and I will be the odd one out ordering a salad(which no one ever orders and the salads we get here are pathetic).

I don't want to miss this outing as its a team bonding exercise. I am just so confused and really angry, why did they have to choose a pizza place of all the places we could go to :grumble: and this is when I was looking forward to this outing :frown:

If anyone has any ideas, please help. Thanks for listening to my long rant. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I would say go and enjoy yourself and don't beat yourself up about the pizza. One pizza will not cause the failure of all the good work - so long as you keep to your calorie goals for the rest of the week and possibly do a bit more exercise on the day after the outing. Remember bowling will give you a small amount of exercise too! As long as you don't end up having a pizza every week then you should be able to get away with it.

On the pizza - order thin crust rather than deep pan, and opt for toppings like chicken and veg rather than pepperoni and double cheese. And try to think of it as a reward for doing so well up to now.

C
  • kattungen
    Options
    How about eating a healthy meal before you go out, and then have just one or two slices of pizza? :) That's what I do when I have to go to these outings :)
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Just have that salad and 1 piece of pizza. This is a lifestyle change so you will encounter many occasions like this. Just shoot for 90% good. Log every calorie and up your exercise for the day. You will be fine. Control is key. You know yourself best so if 1 piece will throw you into a binge, proudly eat that salad and just say no thanks to pizza. You can still enjoy time with your buddies and a delicous crunchy salad. You will also be setting a great example for others. Let us know how it went...we can't wait to hear about your success.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a few ideas:

1. You go to the bowling for bonding time, but skip lunch ... you could always make up an excuse about having lunch plans somewhere else.
    2. You have a small/medium slice of pizza and some salad (and lots of water) -- since you will be active all morning, you'll burn some extra calories that day.
    3. I'm not familiar with Papa John's menu... but could you order a special personal pizza (the small ones) with a thinner crust and healthy toppings?
    4. Eat an apple or some fruit on the drive to Papa Johns (if you're carpooling, you can say you're really hungry and can't wait to eat) or pack some fruit or nuts as a mid-morning snack -- then when you get to Papa John's, socialize for a while and try to be one of the last people to order. That way, when others are having their seconds, you are just starting to eat. (if that's possible, I'm not sure how their ordering system works).
    5. Last idea: if you still have some time before the event, suggest another place to eat and see if they will change the choice for lunch.
  • suzie1983
    Options
    We have papa johns a lot at work...I always get a thin crust chicken spinach one with no or light sauce....im not sure about the calories but i love it plus i never eat whole thing...i drink lots of water...eat the salad and have a small slice...ill even cut one slice in half and eat it that way...eat one half drink some more water...see if im still hungry...i remember in the eat this not that books they said the spinach pizza was the best (thats if you like spinach)...if not get one you like and remember to drink drink drink...
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Go, have a slice of pizza or maybe two---stick to cheese and veggies on the pizza and no meat. Just add it into your caloric intake for the day. you may have to eat a much lighter dinner and skip a snack.

Even if you just splurge and have a cheat day, doing it every now and then will not have any long term negative impact on your weight loss.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bowling can burn a lot of calories! Just put your all into it, have a good time, and maybe only eat 2 slices of pizza. :)
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I guess I am gonna use them all!

1) have a bigger breakfast/ carry a small snack like an apple.
    2) order a salad and carry my own dressing
    3) order a thin crust pizza with veggies and maybe chicken.
    4) drink loads of water
    5) make 2 peices of one slice of pizza and have it slowly.
    6) enter every calorie I ate in MFP. Add in extra exercise

Thanks to all your great advice, I guess I should survive.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I didn't order a salad, but I made do with 2 slices of veg pizza and loads of water. :) Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions :)