your yummy vegan recipes!

Options
meeper123
meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
hi there looking to add some variety to my meals. What vegan recipes do you love?

Replies

• youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm able to eat a variety of foods by following a very basic "formula" for recipes:

Grain + Vegetable + Protein + Seasoning/ Sauce

Something I've been doing a lot lately is mixed veggies (broccoli, carrots, green beans- whatever you like), mushrooms, tofu, and noodles, rice, or quinoa, and sauteeing the veggies in teriyaki sauce or curry paste and coconut milk and adding it to the noodles/ rice/ quinoa.

It's suuuuper simple, but SO good :)
  • meeper123
    Options
    That does sound yummy indeed :)
  • kelciebananas
    Options
    Chia seeds make for a delicious pudding. For every 3 tbsp. add 1 cup of non-dairy liquid. I like vanilla almond milk. Then just stir it every few minutes and let it sit in the fridge and congeal until it has a pudding consistency. If it isn't sweet enough for your taste, add a little maple syrup or agave nectar. Toss some berries in and you're ready to go!

If you have a little extra time and you want to make something a little more hearty, I "bake" a couple red skin potatoes in the microwave and then mash them up really fine. Add flour until it turns into a dough. Knead, separate into four balls, roll each ball out and cut into 1 inch pieces. Ta-da! Vegan gnocchi! Boil it a few pieces at a time. Initially they will sink. When they float to the top, they're done. I usually either add a basil pesto sauce, or I will make a Balsamic reduction (soooo delicious!). Saute some veggies in Earth Balance butter and minced garlic to toss in or eat on the side. It's a really hearty meal. I think even non-vegans can appreciate it. :)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Here's a plethora of my faves I like to share with people:

VEGETARIAN CHILI

1 ½ cups cooked kidney beans
    1 ½ cups cooked pinto beans
    1 can Dakota Pride Mild Chili Beans (my secret weapon-only thing I buy at Aldi’s)
    1 onion, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
    2 ½ cups water
    1 tblsp chix bullion powder (vegan)
    1 tblsp chili powder
    1 tblsp garlic salt
    1 tblsp cumin

Bring everything to a boil and cook until onions and peppers are soft – about 15 minutes.

Makes 8 (1-cup) servings

RATATOUILLE

Dice & saute up in a tablespoon of olive oil:

1 eggplant
    1 zucchini
    1 green pepper
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic, minced

Once everything is getting fairly cooked, add in a can of diced tomatoes with juice and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Season with salt & pepper, basil and parsley. I like to toast hoagie buns, load them with this, add (vegan) mozzarella and put under the broiler for just a minute - until the cheese is melted. YUM!

AVOCADO TOFU SANDWICH

Baked Tofu: Press & drain 1 block firm tofu. Cut into 4 "patties". Brush on mixture of soy sauce and liquid smoke, then sprinkle on garlic powder, salt & pepper. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Flip and bake additional 15 minutes.

Avocado "mayo": Mash 1 avocado and combine with 1 T red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and parsley. Use this in place of mayo.

Serve in a pita with a slice of tomato.

VERY VEGGIE "SPAGHETTI"

2 Tbsp Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or regular EVOO)
    1 Onion, diced
    10 oz jar sliced Mushrooms
    2 large Zucchini, shredded in food processor
    2 large Carrots, shredded in food processor
    2 cloves Garlic, minced
    1 can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce, no salt added
    1 can (15 oz) Diced Tomatoes, no salt added - DO NOT DRAIN
    2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
    2 Tbsp Flaxmeal
    1 Tbsp dried Basil
    1 Tbsp dried Parsley
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Nutritional Yeast (optional)

I like to use my julienne peeler and make a huge mound of raw carrot "pasta"...then I top it with my very veggie sauce. Sometimes I like to julienne both carrot & zucchini. YUM!

DEVILISH CHICK SPREAD

3 cups chickpeas, cooked
    1 cup vegan mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    Season Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons finely chopped chives

Combine everything except chives in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse on and off until the mixture is nicely melded, but don’t puree—leave a little texture. Add the chives through the feed tube and pulse on and off a few times to whirl in

THREE BEAN SALAD

1.5 cups cooked kidney beans
    1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
    2 cups cooked green beans
    1/2 white onion, finely diced
    1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced

Dressing:

2 T olive oil
    2 T apple cider vinegar
    parsley, salt & pepper to taste

Mix dressing, stir in beans, onion and bell pepper and let marinate for at least 2 hours.

QUINOA VEGGIE PLATE

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup water
    1 tsp vegan chix bouillion (optional)
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1 cup frozen cut carrots
    1 cup frozen peppers and onions

*Sauce:
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/3 cup diced tomato with juice
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    1 tsp dried minced onion
    Dash of garlic powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste

1 tsp Nutritional Yeast**
    Sprinkling of Adobo Seasoning

Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add vegan chix flavored bouillion, if desired. After boiling, stir in rinsed quinoa, lower heat to medium low, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until quinoa is semi-translucent.

While quinoa is cooking, steam green beans, carrots, peppers and onions for 12 minutes.

For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, dried minced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper and heat on stove for 5 to 10 minutes.*

To plate, divide quinoa onto two plates, top each with half of the veggies and sprinkle on Adobo seasoning. Divide the tomato sauce and pour over each plate and top each one with 1/2 tsp of nutritional yeast.**

Tips
    *To speed this up, you can substitute your favorite pasta sauce for the sauce recipe.

Baked sweet potato with the following topping (ingredients listed tops 2 sweet potatoes):

Combine 1/4 cup beans (red, black, white, pinto...your choice), 1 diced tomato, 1/2 diced onion, 1 tablespoon ground flax, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix it all up and top the sweet potatoes.

I usually just stab the potatoes with a fork several times and microwave them for 10 minutes and they turn out perfect!

STIR-FRY SAUCE

I heat up a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies, 1 can of chinese veggies (drained), 1 can of water chestnuts (drained), then pour the following sauce. I know stir-fry is supposed to be quick-cooking, but after I pour my sauce on, I like to keep it on the heat for about 5 minutes, stirring the sauce around and letting it soak in to the veggies.

Whisk together:

1 tsp ginger
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tbsp light agave
    4 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp ponzu sauce
    1 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp corn starch

VEGAN SAUSAGE CRUMBLES

2 tablespoons soy sauce or Tamari
    1 teaspoon sage
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    salt, to taste

1 cup boiling water
    1 cup textured soy protein
    2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Directions

1. In a bowl, mix together the first 9 ingredients (through salt). Pour the boiling water over the mixture.
    2. Pour in the textured soy protein, mix with a fork, and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Taste to see if more seasonings need to be added.
    3. Put oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add mixture, and fry until well browned. (you may need to add extra oil if the pan becomes too dry).

You now have delicious sausage crumbles! They taste great on pizza, in spaghetti sauce, and with scrambled tofu eggs.

Preparation Time: 20 minutes.

TOFUNA

Baked Tofu
    Press a block of Lite Firm Tofu to remove as much water as possible. Cut into 4 "patties". Spray a baking sheet with EVOO. Mix together 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce and 1/2 tsp liquid smoke. Brush onto both sides of the patties, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Flip over and bake additional 15 minutes. When they are cooled, I roughly break them up and pulse them in my food processor. Put into a mixing bowl and add:

1 celery stalk, finely diced
    1/2 cup vegan mayo
    3 tablespoons dill pickle relish
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    salt & pepper to taste

Mix thoroughly and thoroughly enjoy!
  • Phloxi
    Phloxi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing these!
  • stickytapir
    Options
    These are not my recipes, but I've been using recipes from this blog for years now and everything has always been really tasty!

She also does a nutritional breakdown based on serving size for every recipe, and makes it SO much easier to enter in to the app :) There's a under 200 calorie per serving section on her blog as well, that I've been stalking all this week :P

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/tag/under200

(Sorry, new to the forums here, and BB code doesn't seem to want to link urls xD)
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a favourite "go-to" recipe at the moment.

Mushroom and walnut pie with a cauliflower/parsley crust (think along the lines of shepherd's pie, with cauliflower instead of spuds)

measurements are in metric because I'm in Australia :)

500gm button mushrooms
    1 cup walnut pieces
    1 tablespoon Tofutti
    2 cups "beef like" stock (or whatever vegan stock you like)
    1 tablespoon cornflour or any thickening flour you like to use
    1 head of cauliflower
    1/2 bunch parsley
    1 cup white wine
    small amount olive oil for frying
    savoury yeast flakes - 1/4 cup

Pre- heat oven to about 200 degrees

fry mushrooms until they colour a little, add walnuts, wine and stock, simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
    remove 1/4 cup of the liquid and allow it to cool.
    While its cooling, break the cauliflower into small florets and steam until very well done. Add yeast flakes and finely chopped parsley, then mash until it reaches something that looks vaguely like mashed potato.
    while mushroom mix is still hot, stir through Tofutti - it should break down and melt into the stew.
    mix thickening flour with mushrooms and stir as it thickens - you should have a nice thick hearty looking mushroom stew at this point.
    place in oven dish and top with mashed cauliflower, place in oven and allow top to brown.

Enjoy!
  • MudDancer
    MudDancer Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Burgers

serves 4

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/3 c. red onion, minced
    1/2 c. mushrooms, chopped
    1/2 c. oats, ground to a coarse texture
    1/2 t. salt
    2 t. cumin
    1 T. vegan Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 t. minced garlic
    I like to add hot sauce to taste

Mash beans in a bowl with a fork until chunky.
    Stir in remaining ingredients and form the mixture into four patties.
    Saute the patties in a skillet sprayed with cooking spray or oil, over medium high heat for about 7 minutes per side.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Mouth is watering yummy :) all of these sound so good
  • snowcoon
    Options
    Ooh yummy!! Will have to come back and take note of these properly later :)