Belly fat or subcutaneus fat

Options
After loosing a bit of extra pounds I still have some belly fat remains . I don't know why I can't get rid of them. I don' want to get thinner than now but I would like to know how can I shrink this fat.
Some people says it is subcutaneous fat and the kind of fat which very difficult to get rid of.
I tried weight lifting but even doing abdominal exercises do not show up my abs because of that fat layer.
I'd like to know about your ideas.

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. I have found that the longer I maintain (as in the last 15 months), the firmer everything is getting, including a flatter belly.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    we have subcutaneus fat (under the skin) and visceral fat (around organs) - you can't spot reduce either, sorry.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    All of us have fat somewhere until we stop having any fat. And it's not always where we want it.

My husband is a tai chi instructor and has muscles on top of his muscles all over his body. And a big fat gut. On MFP he has not lost any weight but HAS replaced all the fat he had everywhere except his belly into hard muscles. It is really weird because I swear you can see the thin person peeking out through his current body when he moves. In any case, now his belly is shrinking and you can see the muscles under there. It is going to take him time - it's just where his body stores it. Sounds like yours too.

I would also wonder if some of it is gas and if you might be sensitive to some foods. For example, higher fat or wheat/gluten will make many people bloat in a way that looks like fat.

BTW - if that is your picture you look great. You do have subcu fat. But so do all normal people. It will go with time if you lower your BFI enough. It depends how important that is to you.
  • JamesParsons7
    Options
    belly fat is subcutaneous fat. do some simple research

and you just had poor fat distribution. so you hold more fat on your stomach.

eat less, run more
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    sorry, i feel like i wasn't very helpful before (as you were looking for ideas).

you said you didn't want to drop anymore weight (you look pretty trim, btw) so would you consider doing a bulk and cut cycle? you would add muscle and fat (and you might get results you are happier with after the cut).

i don't know if you saw the post earlier, where the chap had gained weight but cut his waist measurements by 4" after a bulk.

ETA: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1103843-4-month-bulk-done-w-pics
  • ronit1601
    Options
    check ur diet!!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Not just abs exercises, but whole body. Look into New Rules of Lifting of Starting Strength (is that the right name? :laugh:) or buy a few sessions with a trainer if you've never lifted before. Just make sure the trainer knows you want to lift "heavy" and not rely on machines and tiny dumbbells. As you lift and eat at maintenance (or maybe a slight surplus), you will start to notice a difference everywhere, but eventually it will hit your tummy area. That is often the last place the body will take fat, so you have to be patient :wink:

Edit: just reread and realized OP is a man (sorry, it's often women who ask these questions…) The advice is the same, but trainers probably won't be as quick to steer you to the machines, which is good.
  • Mrsorchidgrower101
    Options
    Sorry but I never heard BFI referred to before. May I ask what that stands for. I would hope in time as I loose weight I would loose visceral fat as well. I know that is important They have me as have joined Mar. but I joined
    August 15. Is there a way to correct that. I am still trying to learn my way around in here. Thanks/
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I never heard BFI referred to before. May I ask what that stands for. I would hope in time as I loose weight I would loose visceral fat as well. I know that is important They have me as have joined Mar. but I joined
    August 15. Is there a way to correct that. I am still trying to learn my way around in here. Thanks/

BFI I am assuming they are saying Body Fat Index...usually referred to as BMI or Body Mass Index. Yes?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Strength train, do cardio, and lose more. That's really the only way to see the abs.

It was a huge eye opener to me how small I got when I decided I wanted to see my abs. For me, because I haven't developed enough muscle mass yet, I was getting too small and I started a bulk. Seeing my abs became not very important for me and putting on more muscle became very important. My husband is still shrinking to have his pop out fully, and he's well below where he thought he would be weight-wise.

Instead of thinking about a number, think about a look you're going for.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Just got to lower the BF% some more. You can't do things to loose fat in specific places, it's cumulative and determined by genetics.

I'm cutting right now, and I loose a lot in my face before my gut. I might be in the same boat soon enough. Life huh?
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    All of us have fat somewhere until we stop having any fat. And it's not always where we want it.

My husband is a tai chi instructor and has muscles on top of his muscles all over his body. And a big fat gut. On MFP he has not lost any weight but HAS replaced all the fat he had everywhere except his belly into hard muscles. It is really weird because I swear you can see the thin person peeking out through his current body when he moves. In any case, now his belly is shrinking and you can see the muscles under there. It is going to take him time - it's just where his body stores it. Sounds like yours too.

I would also wonder if some of it is gas and if you might be sensitive to some foods. For example, higher fat or wheat/gluten will make many people bloat in a way that looks like fat.

BTW - if that is your picture you look great. You do have subcu fat. But so do all normal people. It will go with time if you lower your BFI enough. It depends how important that is to you.
    Yes I am not that much fat. but since I lost weight and goals for the best of my shape . I would like to get rid of those love handles to see my abs.
    Although in the picture I tighten my belly muscles a bit.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

BFI I am assuming they are saying Body Fat Index...usually referred to as BMI or Body Mass Index. Yes?

No, actually. BMI is a calculation based on height and weight and is a population based measure that's easy to calculate and is used to put people into underweight, healthy weight, overweight, obese categories.

BFI is body fat index and it is the percentage of fat in your body. You probably know that muscle is denser than fat. If I lifted a lot of weights, you can imagine I might have the same measurements but gain weight. My BMI would go up (more weight, same height). My BFI would go down (less fat, more muscle).

BFI is very hard to measure accurately, but you can estimate it with measurements and calipers or water displacement or other measures that give a better estimate of density.

One of the criticisms of the BMI is that it doesn't distinguish between weight from fat and weight from muscle. But it IS easy to calculate.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing a cut, mabey a little intermittent fasting.
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    looking at your picture, id say you are around 20% bodyfat. You will start seeing your abs once you get to around 12%, and better under 10%. So, lose approx 10-15 kgs.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    lift weights and continue dieting.
  • wingchungym
    Options
    I would suggest doing a cut, mabey a little intermittent fasting.

Yep intermittent fast, and lift. I am doing this for 'mainly health' but also for the very same reason, the annoying last deposits of fat around the mid section
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    After loosing a bit of extra pounds I still have some belly fat remains . I don't know why I can't get rid of them. I don' want to get thinner than now but I would like to know how can I shrink this fat.
    Some people says it is subcutaneous fat and the kind of fat which very difficult to get rid of.
    I tried weight lifting but even doing abdominal exercises do not show up my abs because of that fat layer.
    I'd like to know about your ideas.

Keep eating at a deficit

That's all
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    looking at your picture, id say you are around 20% bodyfat. You will start seeing your abs once you get to around 12%, and better under 10%. So, lose approx 10-15 kgs.
    Are you sure?
    20% is too high. I don't look like that much.
    I am 179 cm and 77. I am not going to loose 10 kg. Then I would be no more than skin and bones.
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I can be mistaken. Everyone is different. Can you check your bodyfat and tell us pls?