Military/Shoulder Press

Options
I am having SUCH a hard time increasing weight! I have been stuck at 3x8 at 60 for at least the last month.
It's hard enough that I feel like a goober struggling at pressing this bar with barely any weight on it above my head. I especially love it when it gets stuck at eye level- it's like it's taunting me.. :)
Any hints?

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    sad-i-know-that-feel-bro_3969556_lrg.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Keep at it...the OH Press is the nemesis of many. What kind of assistance work if any are you doing to assist your OH Press? You may want to consider some additional shoulder assitance work.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Assistance work and microloading maybe? It just takes times. I've been stuck at the same weight for 2 months. In fact, I kinda went backwards a little. Can't wait to start my bulk and maybe finally break through.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Try deloading by 10% and working back up. cwolfman's advice is good also.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, for women that is a hard place to add weight. Almost all the women lifters on my friend's list have the same issue. All the other lifts? No problem.

If you're not already a member of this group, go and ask Sara or Sidesteel if they have any answers/suggestions on diet or progression. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    With OHP, hand position is key. Check out some instructional videos on youtube. Also, a form check video would be helpful. I'm going to guess that your hands are too close together because of the eye level stalling, but without seeing it it's impossible to tell.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If you can't add weight, can you add reps? Add a rep a week until you reach 12 with your current weight, then try to add weight and go back to 8 reps.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If you can do 3x8 @ 60, you can do 3x3 at a higher weight. Then you can up reps.
    Another question to ask is are you on a deficit or surplus?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I can't curse here, can I?

Cause if I could, I would.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Have you tried deloading or switching to 5x5? Or how about trying to up by 1.25lb or 2.5lbs versus 5-10lbs (if you have the plates).
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Story of my life. I think my switch in programs may help me progress with OHP a little better. I busted out 9 reps at 65 lbs last week and this week i will be doing 70 lbs.
  • andrea_wants_abs
    Options
    Haha, thatnks for the hug!
  • andrea_wants_abs
    Options
    So do you rotate high/low weights week to week?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    With OHP, hand position is key. Check out some instructional videos on youtube. Also, a form check video would be helpful. I'm going to guess that your hands are too close together because of the eye level stalling, but without seeing it it's impossible to tell.

This is what I was thinking...when I first started with SL's the OHP was blah....then I checked my form by watching some videos and wham...they were no longer difficult...this is my 8th day and I am at 55lbs
  • andrea_wants_abs
    Options
    Right now I can do 3x8 at 55 pretty easily.
    It's just progressing past that that I'm stalling at.
  • andrea_wants_abs
    Options
    If you can't add weight, can you add reps? Add a rep a week until you reach 12 with your current weight, then try to add weight and go back to 8 reps.

That's a good thought- thanks.
  • andrea_wants_abs
    Options
    If you can do 3x8 @ 60, you can do 3x3 at a higher weight. Then you can up reps.
    Another question to ask is are you on a deficit or surplus?

Nutritionally I am eating at a mild surplus.
  • andrea_wants_abs
    Options
    I can't curse here, can I?

Cause if I could, I would.

What are you cursing at? I'm the one that can't get the weight up! ;)
  • andrea_wants_abs
    Options
    Have you tried deloading or switching to 5x5? Or how about trying to up by 1.25lb or 2.5lbs versus 5-10lbs (if you have the plates).

I really haven't tried anything different as of yet. I was just polling for ideas. :)
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    Are you doing strictly the 3x8 at 60#'s each workout? No other sets? Any other presses?