Advice needed please

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping you can give me your views..... My weight goes up and down with my motivation, which is sometimes (I think) related to my job and stress at work - I work odd hours and can because of that miss meals and feel stressed - which often then leaves me eating what I shouldn't . My weight, however, isn't really the issue at the moment as it is fairly stable, but I want to know please what the best types of exercise are for toning. I am not currently fat, but I am flabby - I have bingo wings and a flabby tummy. I tend to walk a lot, so my legs etc are ok....but the rest isn't!!
Any ideas please?
Oh - I am useless at things like situps/pressups as I have a bad back :(
All suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the circumstances of your job and whatnot. It sounds to me like you might want to incorporate short workouts into your fitness program. They have utility, but it requires you to do them on a regular basis and you have to really put in the exertion. The idea is that you can insert these when you have the time and hopefully fit your schedule.

http://www.prevention.com/fitness/strength-training/10-minute-total-body-toning-workout
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/express/ (choose between 5, 10, and 20 minute workouts)
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/exercise/how-do-10-minute-workout?page=all

(some of the these links may have auto-play ads, so if you're at work, you may want to mute your speakers)

For motivation, just remind yourself how great it feels at the end of a workout. There may be times when you're feeling a bit tired or stressed, but tell yourself that once you get going, your body will respond and give you the energy, desire, and enjoyment during a workout. Take pictures/measurements every few weeks, to observe the progress you're making, that can also be encouraging/motivating.

Good fitness has a lot of health benefits, for now and down the road. I hope you find success in incorporating it into your life. I hope this is of some help. Good luck to you!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Flabby is fat.

Get some exercise, ideally a good mix of hard strength training and cardio, and maintain a moderate calorie deficit. After that, it's all about patience.
  • Gailey
    Gailey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much:smile:

I hear what you are saying and I will check out those links too
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise for extremely obese people who have never walked further than from the couch to the fridge. For most people though, unless you are speed walking with a weight in each hand, walking isn't what I classify as exercise.

You need to push yourself out of your comfort zone to see results. In my opinion, you need to lift some weights, get winded, run, jog, sweat! Walking is great for a rest day, but not as a workout.