Hi, awesome successful people!! I gotta question..

Options
First off, I just wanna say congrats at being successful and making your goals happen. Whether you lost 5 lbs or 100 lbs, it's an awesome thing to accomplish and you should be so proud!

So I do have a question, and it is... What is one thing that really helped you to get where you are now?

Maybe a few more questions that just popped into my head... heh.

How many calories did you consume per day?
What exercises helped you the most?

Also, I just started getting serious about losing weight and noticed that the first day I started, I exercised and ate my calories, and then instead of eating a healthy dinner, I ate like 10 oatmeal cookies that I made and still managed to lose 2.2 lbs. Then the next day, I did not exercise and at under my caloric goal and gained .2 lbs. Why?

Anything said will be greatly appreciated :D

Replies

• IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Water retention :)
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Patience. It's hard, especially in the beginning, but you can't compare day to day. So you need to stick with it for a couple of weeks, not be discouraged when the scale goes up, and encouraged when it goes down.

What worked for me was exercising more (walking, cycling, running, whatever) and eating less.

I had my goal set at 1420, ate back exercise calories, tried to average that on a weekly basis and that's it.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    1. Discipline to really count everything I ate.
    2. 1200kcal
    3. Cycling

Weigh yourself every day but dont pay too much attention to your daily weight. Your weight graph of the last week or two weeks is way more important.
    Weight can fluctuate + scales are not 100% accurate. But your weight graph should show you a clear trend.
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have lost 73 lbs. I would say the best thing I did was eat a healthy diet. Reduced the salt and quit diet pepsi and all caffine. I drink only water and lots of it. I have not given up everything still enjoy ice cream but instead of a quart I now have a couple of scoops. Instead of a bag of chips now a small serving. I exercise everyday walking jogging and aerobics. I lift weights 4 times a week. I enjoy the energy I have gained.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It's ok to weigh yourself each morning if that is what you want to do (don't do it later in the day as you'll just weigh more from the food and drinks you just ate) but don't worry about what it reads too much, go by what it says over a week. The trend downwards is what is important and not daily fluctuations.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Your weight does not measure your fat.
    It measures "normal" you + water + contents of your stomach. Things like the last time you went to the bathroom and where you are in your period are going to create fluctuations of several pounds daily, masking any change in your "normal" weight. The amount you exercise, the amount of water you drink will greatly influence the scales, and in a counter-intuitive way. Exercise usually leads to water retention in the muscles, drinking a lot of water makes your body retain less, etc. Eating a lot tends to make you need to go to the bathroom (thus shedding some weight) while eating a little won't. Going for a drinking party will dehydrate you and you'll think you've lost a pound when you've actually eaten and drunk way over your calories and probably added a few grams of fat.
    Daily weight is not an indicator of fat loss. The overall trend over weeks, even months, is.

And I always wonder why people are surprised by this. Remember you put in your stomach 0.5-1kg of food daily, and 2l of water. Unless you go to the bathroom like clockwork, that's 5 pounds right there - and have nothing to do with your fat.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    How many calories did you consume per day?
    What exercises helped you the most?

Calories are determined by weight , height , gender , genetics , activity level etc . U need something called a TDEE calculator which gives you a "rough" idea.

Exercise : 100% weight lifting for ultimate body composition . Both men and women should lift if they want to look good .

Lifting does not make you look like the hulk , unless you eat at a surplus every day for a couple of years together with intense weight lifting consistently .
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I've been telling myself every problem that comes up is put there just to get me to quit my routine. This is completely irrational, I know, but it works probably 4 out of 5 times when I want to medicate stress with food. Also, get used to fluctuation. I lost 7 pounds recently, but if I get on the scale now it will show 4 pounds back up. Just wait, it will go down again.
  • AoifeJGB
    AoifeJGB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Going to be blunt now, but the main thing I *don't* do is replace a healthy meal with cookies, regardless of if I made them or not. ;) The 400 to 500 calories you eat in a healthy dinner with lean protein, veggies and a small portion of carbs is way different to the 400 - 500 calories from 10 cookies in terms of sugar, fat and carb content. Have a cookie, by all means, but have *one* as a snack or a reward treat when you've hauled yourself on a workout.

As for what I'm doing: I speed walk or hike/hillwalk or do some form of exercise everyday and go by the 3/2 rule - 3 healthy, nutritious meals and two snacks (yoghurt, fruit or that one treat) a day. Taking in about 1300 calories a day, I eat back only about 2-300 calories after a hard workout. I don't eat all of my exercise calories back because I don't lose weight that way. I drink a lot of water and herbal tea every day, and avoid carbonated or caffeinated drinks; I love a beer but it is a treat now too. Also, I never ate breakfast when I was large but I've learned to love it and vary it every day. Oatmeal with raspberries or stewed apple and cinnamon or stewed rhubarb etc is my new, best friend.

Find the healthy ingredients you like and learn to prepare healthy meals with them. Learn to read your labels and put the items with high salt, sugar, fat and calories back on the shelf, picking a healthier alternative. I find that if I keep my trigger food like cookies, candy or bars in the house at all, I'll eat them ALL, so keep your go-to temptation out of your way, if you can. Good luck!
  • t1954
    t1954 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Please read my profile. It will outline what I did and what I was thinking right or wrong. PM if you have questions.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    1. Discipline to really count everything I ate.
    2. 1200kcal
    3. Cycling

Weigh yourself every day but dont pay too much attention to your daily weight. Your weight graph of the last week or two weeks is way more important.
    Weight can fluctuate + scales are not 100% accurate. But your weight graph should show you a clear trend.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I chose the wrong quote before, so here's what I did:

Used 1450 calories per day in a balanced plan,
    Weighed in every other week,
    Joined a gym and did cardio and strength training.

Had patience
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    One of the most important lesson i've learnt is that most people are not successful the first time. It's gonna take 2 to 3 tries to get it right before they are able to maintain it for life. Goes without saying that there are exceptions to this.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure everything and I mean everything.

At present 2500 calories a day

Initially it was walking now running and swimming though running has had the biggest effect on my body shape
  • AoifeJGB
    AoifeJGB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    P.S. There is no "one thing" that helps you lose weight, it's a combination of many things: calorie control, exercise, determination and perseverance. What did help, however, was having a target to work towards, which for me, was being a bridesmaid in my friends' wedding this August. Every time I went to put something especially BAD in my mouth or skip exercising, I'd think "do I REALLY want to be an XXL bridesmaid, placed on the end so I can be cropped out of photos?" - they never would do that to me, of course, but that thought kept me honest. ;) I lost 74lb and 4/5 dress sizes! Pick a realistic target of X weight/size or X Fitness level by Y date and work to that, be it a birthday, holiday, vacation or event. It helps to keep you focused. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    go to the gym no matter how crappy I feel or no matter how much a crappy day I had ...I know I will always feel better and will release the stress from the day.

When I first started I cleared all the junk food out of my house and started over with healthier options...A little extreme at the time, but I needed to do that..
  • jenf330
    jenf330 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    P.S. There is no "one thing" that helps you lose weight, it's a combination of many things: calorie control, exercise, determination and perseverance. What did help, however, was having a target to work towards, which for me, was being a bridesmaid in my friends' wedding this August. Every time I went to put something especially BAD in my mouth or skip exercising, I'd think "do I REALLY want to be an XXL bridesmaid, placed on the end so I can be cropped out of photos?" - they never would do that to me, of course, but that thought kept me honest. ;) I lost 74lb and 4/5 dress sizes! Pick a realistic target of X weight/size or X Fitness level by Y date and work to that, be it a birthday, holiday, vacation or event. It helps to keep you focused. :)

THIS! For so long I thought I could lose weight with either just diet or just exercising, but I didn't want to do both. It wasn't until I got consistent with both exercise and calorie control that I started seeing changes.

Also, fluctuations are normal. I'm one of those weird people that weighs myself every day so I see every little change. As long as you understand that it happens and don't let yourself get too wound up over it, it's no big deal.
  • LisaUlrey
    LisaUlrey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I made it a habit to log everything that went into my mouth. EVERYTHING. I am a creature of habit so I do the same thing almost every day. I eat almost the same thing every day, I walk on all of my breaks at work and I try to get to the gym almost every day. Tracking correctly if very very important.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I becames successful at keeping fit when I decided that I would never be satisfied. I always want to be fitter
    so I keep upping my exercise regiment. The minute you become satisfied and complacent is the day
    you fall backward.

I did pts viaa Weight Watchers.. I was not a member I just used their pt system. .I at 28 pts a day. I exercised
    daily and in between workouts did stairs and push ups.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Challenging my thinking about "healthy" food and coming to the realization that all food is healthy and all food should be included in my diet. I weigh all my food (when I can, I dont' pull out my purse digi at parties or anything lol) and just budgeting to fit my calories while hitting my macros. It's been so ridiculously easy I feel like an as^*&%! for not doing it sooner.

And LOG EVERYTHING, even when it's not pretty. Even a crappy day serves a purpose next week or next month when you may want to reflect on honest data.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!