Dumb question (dont judge me lol)

Options
Hi all ,

So im starting insanity on monday and just trying to think ahead really to stop myself cheating and finding excuses . Anyways i have been reading about the muscle ache after workouts and read that a protein shake would help straight after a workout , the main reason i am doing this is to lose fat so my question is if i were to have a protein shake every day after my workout would this affect weightloss (help/delay) ? Like i said im clueless when it comes to anything like this as i have basically lived on junk since being a teenager so dont judge me lol

Also any recommendations of brands etc ?

Much appreciated :)

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Depends on how it goes into your calories and how much protein you are otherwise having.. ;)

Weightloss: Calories out > calories in
    Muscle repair/keep the muscles: make sure you get enough protein.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ is a good place to see how much protein is recommended. The MFP recommendation is a bit low.

Also, drinking loads of water and stretching makes a world of difference

While calorie = calorie, eating less "junk" and more nutritious food will make you feel better and can improve health (what with all the vitamines, minerals, acids, healthy fats, etc ;) ) so try to eat a balanced, healthy* food.

*healthy is a matter of perspective but in general nutritious food is healthier than sugary coated deep fried "empty" calories :P

ETA: You can get protein from lean meat (chicken, fish) and certain veggies, eggs and milk products, and other meat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If it is within your calorie limits it wont change it.

I have protien shakes and powder everyday and sometimes even a bar but that is keep my protien up to help repair the muscles from lifting heavy.

Will it help???? I don't know....but it wont hurt.

As for ways to help yourself from making excuses and not doing it....hold yourself accountable.

I did 30DS as my first "real" workout when I got here and I only missed 2 days...my son flipped his car and my sister needed help laying sod around her pool...that was it. I held myself accountable...and posted on FB so others would know if I missed..

The ache I got never made me not do it.
  • steph1988xx
    Options
    Thanks ,

Im def in a different mind set now and am more determined than ever to make a change . I plan on following the diet plan that comes with it as close as i can but its all kind of confusing because ive never worried about how many calories / protein im consuming etc
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The soreness is normal and it's actually a good thing! It means that your working your muscles in new and different ways and building stonger healtheir muscle! Drinking a protein shake afterwards isn't a bad idea. But pay attention to how long you've worked out for and how you're feeling. If your workout was only 20 minutes, you don't feel shaky, and you're going to be eating within the next hour then you don't really need to supplment with a shake. I usually judge by whether I worked out for 75 minutes+, if I did a really hard weight training workout and feel shaky, or if I know that I won't be able to eat a meal within the next two hours. If any of those things are what's going on then I'll have a shake. Unfortunately protein shakes are not magical elixers and you will still get sore, but it does have its benefits.

As for calories, they have some lower calorie ones that aren't too bad. I would visit a supplement store and talk to someone who knows about this stuff (not GNC as I've found that they are paid in commission and half the time they don't even know what it is that I'm looking for.) I've had a lot of good luck at the vitamin shoppe as the employees there are trained in all the different supplements and they don't work on commission. Or do some research on your own. you may have to try a few different brands before you find one that works the best for you. I also like to pay attention to the ingredients and find one that tastes decent and doesn't have a ton of synthetic stuff added in. I've heard that egg white protein powders are one of the best ones for your body as it's very close to the actual egg protein.
  • steph1988xx
    Options
    Thanks that makes sense about lengh of workout etc , im planning on doing insanity so will be a high intensity workout around 50 mins 6x a week and will be when my sons in bed around 7pm and will be eating last meal at 5pm so i guess i just wait and see how i feel but the more i read the more i figure theres no quick fix and to learn to love the BURN ;)
  • in_therain
    in_therain Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is a great article about post-workout muscle soreness: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=78966

Protein shakes weren't mentioned in the article, but reading about the inflammatory process that occurs post workout, it makes sense that anti-inflammatories such as Ibuprofen (not Tylenol!) would be the most effective. Coldness has also been shown effective against inflammation, so a cold bath may help as well (but I'd probably stay away from adding ice to the bath).
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    No Pain No Gain. If you are doing it right you will be sore, no way around it. Hydrate, protein, stretching and rest will help but wont keep you from getting sore. Rest is key, exercise is tearing down the muscle, eating is fueling it and rest allows for repair. A little sore is good find your limits, and keep pushing yourself but not to the point where it is unbearable.
  • steph1988xx
    Options
    Thanks for replys & links helped alot , im not sure ill get the sleep but it sure is a good excuse for a lie in ;)