3lb loss and gain in 3 days :(

Options
I am a bit perplexed and demotivated.
I have started the insanity program as well as doing Zumba 2-3times a week and the treadmillfor 10mins prior to the Zumba class.

My calorific intake has been restricted to 1200 and i rarely if ever go over this unless it is a Friday or Saturday when I am dirnking. If I do drink then I ensure I do not eat more than 900calories of food that day.

I first Weighed myself in the morning last week Weds (18th) and was at 144.5lbs. Over the course of the following days my weight steadily dropped and on Sunday morning when I weighed myself I was down to 140.0 which I was very pleased with of course.

However yesterday morning I was back up to 143.2lbs and this morning I am at 143.6lbs - How can I have put on over 3lbs in a couple of days when I have not over-eaten and I work out daily? Fair enough I do not kill it in my workouts but the diet alone being below 1200 should mean I am at least plateauing or maintaining. I just do not understand How since Sunday I gained 3.6lbs.

I am thinking now that I just want to go back to pigging out - I have been on this diet for two weeks and was ecstatic with a 4lb lost. To know that in reality it has only been 1lb given the amount of work I am putting in is devestating.

My aim was 2lbs a week loss but then I realised that the only people who achieve this are generally obese to begin with so I settled on 1lb a week. I am now losing 0.5lbs a week if that it seems!

I am 27year old female, 5ft3.7 Was 144.5lbs and I am now 143.6lbs

A year ago I was a size 8, 125lbs and had never had to work out or diet to maintain my figure.I just want to go back to that.

I moved in with my Boyf and piled on the pounds and I am so depressed with it all to be honest. I am working my fat butt off to get back in shape and all for a 1lb loss in a fortnight!!!

Any tips on how I can lose at least a 1lb/week?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    FYI from community guidelines in case you were unaware:

9. Do Not Post the Same Topic on Multiple Boards or Groups

Please choose the most appropriate board or group for your post and post it once. Posting the same message to multiple boards or multiple groups is a form of spam. Please note that this is NOT a guideline against inadvertently posting a question another member has asked before. We explicitly allow members to post questions that have been asked previously by other members. If you see a member post a topic that you think has been asked before by another member, please respond politely or simply move on. However, the same member cannot ask the same question or post the same topic more than once.
  • Keenertobeleaner
    Options
    Thanks for responding to my question :-)
    FYI from community guidelines in case you were unaware:

9. Do Not Post the Same Topic on Multiple Boards or Groups

Please choose the most appropriate board or group for your post and post it once. Posting the same message to multiple boards or multiple groups is a form of spam. Please note that this is NOT a guideline against inadvertently posting a question another member has asked before. We explicitly allow members to post questions that have been asked previously by other members. If you see a member post a topic that you think has been asked before by another member, please respond politely or simply move on. However, the same member cannot ask the same question or post the same topic more than once.
  • Davytah1983
    Davytah1983 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you moved your scales to a differnt room? i keep my scales in my bathroom and get weight on them in the exact same position everytime... if i move my scales downstairs to the kitchen i put on 6lbs lol... whats that all about!!! lol
  • clp212
    clp212 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. Hang in there. The weight wasn't put on in 3 days or a week and it can't come off that fast. My weight will vary 2 to 4 pounds overnight. To keep from being frustrated, I only weigh once a week on the same day as close to the same time as possible. This has helped. If you just can't stand it, add a day in the middle and only weigh yourself twice a week. I think that if you are sticking to your calorie plan and working out, you will see results.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    1) Stop stepping on the scale so much. It will drive you crazy. Shoot for once a week or even once a month. Your weight will vary many times a day and many times a week depending on your sodium intake, water intake, bathroom habits (I am not talking about brushing your teeth, here), where you are in your menstrual cycle, how much fiber you've had, etc.

2) Try eating more than 1200 calories per day, especially if you are working out. Shoot for 1400 or 1500 - you will be able to eat better, feel more satisfied and lose weight than if you stick to 1200.

3) Patience, Grasshopper! Recognize that this is a long process. You are asking your body to give up fat stores - our ancestors survived because they were able to get through lean times by relying on fat stores and using calories during famine efficiently. A pound a week is a great loss. There will be plateaus too where you lose NO weight for a couple of weeks or even a month.

4) I am 5'2 3/4" and my goal weight is 140. As I get closer to that weight, I expect the weight to come off very slowly because of #3.

Try to be patient and loving to yourself. I hated myself at 155 and dieted my way to 172 - I was disgusted with myself at that and managed to diet my way all the way to 213. I needed to love and accept myself before I found out how to lose weight without starving myself and/or punishing my body with exercise.

I figure it will take about a year to lose the weight that I want to. Good luck on your journey.
  • mineownself
    Options
    I struggle with the same problem, I'm a scale junkie... BUT here's another view to keep in mind. When you start any type of weight training, which insanity includes, your muscles requires TONS of water to repair themselves. You will retain water as the repair and build happens.

Make sure you are drinking enough - a simple calculation is to take your body weight, divide it in half, and that's the number of ounces you need to drink a day, plus more if you are sweating a lot during your workout.

I have just lately started JNL Fusion, into my 3rd week, and I have so far gained and lost the same 5 lbs BUT my clothes fit better.

Take your measurements - as you lose fat and gain muscle, you will notice a weight gain and in this respect its a good thing because over time, your muscle will burn more calories which will again involve further fat loss.

Put your scale away if it is a cause for discouragement :) The number is irrelevant - your body composition is key.

Good luck!!
  • amie709
    Options
    It's not actually water retention-It's DOMs but it amounts to the same thing: a temporary weight gain or lack of loss when starting a new exercise.

BUT-you are NOT eating enough to fuel your body for what your putting it through!! You NEED to be eating more then 1200 calories to do things like Insanity. Think of your body like a car-it's not going to go like you want it to if ou don't put enough gas in it!!