Ladies - clothing sizes

Options
Is any one familiar with the sizing at Lane Bryant stores? How do their sizes compare to other stores? Do they use vanity sizing? I bought a few tops today in the smallest size they had in the store. I don't want to go into another store and try on a 14 and be disappointed because it doesn't fit.

I'd like to think I have made my last purchases from a plus sized store! :blushing:

Replies

• Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Anyone???
  • Their sizes run a bit bigger than in other stores because when I was trying on pants, I usually wear 16s, but there I wear 14s.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Well I'd say they are bigger than "regular" 14/16 (from non-plus size stores), but they seem to be smaller than other plus size stores (Avenue, Old Navy, etc). At least this is what I've noticed.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Why not try something on from a regular size store? I think you will be pleasantly surprised, and it is a great motivator!
    Fitting into "normal sized" clothing is the best thing about losing weight for me.
  • Shari325
    Options
    Thank you ladies!
    When the 14's begin to be too large, I will go to a "regular" store. The idea of wearing "regular' sized clothes is very exciting. I haven't worn non-plus sized clothing since 1985 or 19986... I won't even know where to begin!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies!
    When the 14's begin to be too large, I will go to a "regular" store. The idea of wearing "regular' sized clothes is very exciting. I haven't worn non-plus sized clothing since 1985 or 19986... I won't even know where to begin!

Go now. Don't wait.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant clothes are a little overpriced, imo. They can get away with it because they're one of the only stores filling a particular niche.

If you can fit into 14s, you'll get better quality clothes at better prices elsewhere.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It's in your head sometimes. Try it. The worse that can happen is your not quite there and go back to the plus area and keep working hard. ---Or get a surprise! Just remember Every store and brand VARIES!

Some stores/brands jeans I wear a 9, others a 10 and sometimes even a 11/12 Gotta love the sizing. I don't care though, as long as it looks good and I feel good in it!
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I went shopping at Macy's a couple weeks ago for a new suit for an interview. In the plus-sized section, I was fitting into the smallest size, 14W, and in some cases they were just a touch too big. I wandered over to the regular section and tried on the largest size they had available, a 16. Too small still, but close. I'm sure that when the 14Ws I bought start to get too big to wear, I'll be able to move down to regular sizes again. Yay!

I mention this just because I don't think fitting into the lowest plus size necessarily means you'll fit into the highest regular size yet. But I'm sure you will soon! That being said, I really don't know anything about Lane Bryant sizing so I could be completely wrong. Good luck to you and enjoy the expanded clothing options you're about to have at your fingertips!
  • Shari325
    Options
    I went shopping at Macy's a couple weeks ago for a new suit for an interview. In the plus-sized section, I was fitting into the smallest size, 14W, and in some cases they were just a touch too big. I wandered over to the regular section and tried on the largest size they had available, a 16. Too small still, but close.

This is my concern.
    I'm changing sizes rapidly, the plus sized 14's will be too large soon, and I'll go shopping again. I will go shopping in a "regular" store at that time and dance all the way home!!!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Try old navy! They always make me feel good :)
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I also find that the clothes in Lane Bryant are a bit overpriced -- when I was wearing 14s I would never buy them there, because I could get them much cheaper elsewhere. I know most department stores carry tup to size 18 minimally now. I would try JC Penney if you have one. I always found they had a great selection of plus sized clothes (14 and up) and they are very reasonably priced.

Congratulations on your loss! Great work.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I use to work there in college... I think they are cut bigger in most things.... like instead of a 14 it is a 14W, which is a wider cut.
  • clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    LB clothing, like other plus size stores or plus size department, run a little big. When I got down to a 14W whether there or elsewhere I could also fit in a 16 from a non-plus store or women's department.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I also find that the clothes in Lane Bryant are a bit overpriced -- when I was wearing 14s I would never buy them there, because I could get them much cheaper elsewhere. I know most department stores carry tup to size 18 minimally now. I would try JC Penney if you have one. I always found they had a great selection of plus sized clothes (14 and up) and they are very reasonably priced.

Congratulations on your loss! Great work.
    I agree with JCPenney - that's where I got all of my clothes, even when I was an 18, and their selection is decent. Thrift stores can be a good way to find an "average" of where you are, as they'll carry all sorts of brands.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    You also have to realize that what the size you wore back in 1985, in today's sizes might fit even though you know you aren't the same weight/measurements now. I know because over the years there are some clothes I have kept in my closet because they cost a fortunate back in the day and I love them. What I am finding is that a 14 from back then, I still can't wear, but if its a 14 that is made today, I can wear them. It tells me that today's 14 is probably yesterday's 16. They have been adjusting the sizing levels over time - it's marketing. It is a bit of a mind game then as I shop and are surprised that I'm fitting into a 14 and are happy. I will then go home and try on that older 14 and still don't fit into it which makes me sad. I just sigh and say - keep going - it will fit soon. And grumble at the marketing ploys that the clothes makers are using. I have to push that negative thought away. And I know I should wait til I'm in a 12 to try on my 14s that are at home; hope springs eternal though.

I love shopping the thrift stores - I can't believe the brands I find there - Lane Bryant, Coldwater Creek, CJ Banks, Talbots - I find really high end stuff and pay a smaller amount compared to the original store's price. It makes it much easier on the budget than to be buying new all the time when losing weight fast enough to make wardrobe changes a necessity.