What type/kind/brand of HRM would you suggest?

Options
It never occurred to me to even use one of these before I read about them here. What is a good economical, dependable one I should be looking for?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7, if you get a Polar just get one with a chest strap.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Polar!!!
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I had a polar one, that finally died, it was the best. I replaced it with a timex, that was two years ago and I still haven't figured it out. Go with a polar with the chest strap, mine was very expensive, but that was ages ago, not sure how they are priced now.
  • toya860
    toya860 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4! Just bought it yesterday and it works great...on sale at Sports Authority now $79.99 :-)
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have heard rave reviews about Polar, mainly the Polar F6 or FT7. I just bought a Polar F6 on ebay, new, for $78....looking forward to using it!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    i bought one from Walmart for 49.99$ and it works great :)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Whatever you get, make sure it has a chest strap. It won't be annoying or inconvenient at all (some people tend to think it will be). It's the most accurate way. Get a Polar and other than that, it depends on what you want. I highly recommend the Polar FT60 but I understand not everyone wants to drop $200 on a HRM (plus $120 for the footpod/GPS if you want distance/speed measured).
  • MonicaS29
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and i don't leave home w/o it! It's my bff!! The only thing is I wish it had a pedometer on it, but other than that it ROCKS!
  • bree1609
    bree1609 Posts: 136
    Options
    I just ordered my Polar FT4 (w/ the chest strap) on Wednesday. I'm expecting it today. I've never used a HRM, but I need to kick my workouts in gear. I haven't lost in two weeks! Anyway, here's the link for some Polar products. It's also where I ordered mine from.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-view-all.html?gclid=CI7Cu9qio6QCFWJo5QodHHTz3w
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I want to echo Polar. I've never heard a complaint about that brand, unlike others.

I have an F4, which is probably the cheapest with a chest strap. It doesn't have some of the fancier features, but it does the job. The biggest issue I can think of is if you work out in a gym, it doesn't have the anti-interference feature, so it can pick up other HRM signals. The F6 is the next model up and has that.
  • Beehiveof8
    Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I should have said that I don't work out in a gym, but at home or outside.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I should have said that I don't work out in a gym, but at home or outside.

There isn't a huge difference in price between the F4 and F6, so it may still be worth getting the F6. It has a few more bells and whistles.

I wasn't as informed as I could have been when I bought mine, but since it does the job, I'm sticking with it as long as the battery holds out. I'll get something a little higher up next time.