Changing diet.. what do you guys eat?

Options
I'm wondering about diets. Particularly, what to absolutely stay away from. (I'm certain that diet is not all about calories, but also about where those calories come from)

I've cut out all forms of fast food/restaurants, D&D/starbucks, coffee, caffeine, basic sugars (white/brown grain) quit smoking and drinking alcohol, and a host of other things as well.

Now that I'm not taking in a lot of the things that I used to. I find myself consuming a lot of fruit, kashi cereal, brown rice sushi, pre-made salads.. probiotic smoothies.. organic soups.. etc.. snacking on cliff bars. . (240 cal.. whopper of a snack bar)

I still feel like I'm missing some things. Anyone have some healthy recommendations. I'm not consuming meals that I can't calculate. . so, it's been a bit frustrating.

How have you guys been snacking healthy? Eating healthy?

Any links to some good calorie websites.. (info on calories of fruits, veggies, etc)

Edit: I'm also wondering if you wouldn't mind checking out my diary/profile, and letting me know if I'm on the right track so far with eating/exercise. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    today is rest day
    meal 1
    Perdue Chicken Breast Thin Slice Usda Grade A.............. - Chicken Breast - Skinless.........., 6 oz 240 0 4 52 0 0
    Welch's Natural Strawberry Spread - All Natural, No High Fructose Corn Syrup, 1 tablespoon 40 10 0 0 10 0
    Generic - Carrots, Steamed Fresh Without Salt [Usda Data], 100 grams 35 8 0 1 3 3
    bread from sourdough starter, 2 serving 179 29 6 5 3 4
    Honeyville - Powdered Peanut Butter, 2 TB 60 3 4 6 2 2
    Great Value - Plain Greek Nonfat Yogurt, 227 g (1 cup) 120 9 0 23 9 0
    Beans (Per Usda Sites) - Edamame, Frozen, Prepared, 100 gram 122 10 5 11 2 5
    Info From Usda - Cottage Cheese, 1%, 1 cup 148 6 2 28 6 0

meal 2
    Usda - Almonds, Whole, Natural , 1 oz (28.35 g) 163 6 14 6 1 4
    Lettuce - Iceberg (includes crisphead types), raw, 3 cup shredded 30 6 0 2 4 3
    Aldi Fit & Active - Light Sun-Dried Tomato Reduced Fat Vinaigrette Dressing, 2 Tbsp 60 5 5 0 3 0
    Meijer - Reduced Fat Mild Cheddar Fancy Shredded Cheese 2%, 1/4 Cup (28g) 90 1 6 7 1 0
    Usda - 1 Large Egg White, 2 egg 34 0 0 7 0 0
    Usda - 1 Large Egg, 2 large egg 144 1 10 13 0 0
    Truscience - Trutein - Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup, 1 scoop 125 4 2 25 1 3
    Honeyville - Steel Cut Oats, 1/4 cup Dry 160 26 3 6 0 5

Repeat often, add carbs on lifting days
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, you do not need to stay away from certain foods and eliminate them. I choose not to label foods as "good" or "bad" or "clean" or "dirty" because if it fits into my day, I eat it. If you want to try a great website, check out www.myfitnesspal.com
  • someusernamethatisnttaken
    Options
    wow, that's in depth. appreciated.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I've cut out all forms of fast food/restaurants, D&D/starbucks, coffee, caffeine, basic sugars (white/brown grain) quit smoking and drinking alcohol, and a host of other things as well.

You're welcome to check my diary, but I'm afraid it won't help you much since it's full of everything you have given up. Bless you though, I couldn't live like that-except the alcohol (I'm just not a drinker).
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My diary is open if you want to take a look.. I eat a 50 % Protein, 30% Fat, 20% Carb meal plan. It works for me.
  • Unless you have a medical condition, you do not need to stay away from certain foods and eliminate them. I choose not to label foods as "good" or "bad" or "clean" or "dirty" because if it fits into my day, I eat it. If you want to try a great website, check out www.myfitnesspal.com
    I have a feeling he's already heard of myfitnesspal.com
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, you do not need to stay away from certain foods and eliminate them. I choose not to label foods as "good" or "bad" or "clean" or "dirty" because if it fits into my day, I eat it. If you want to try a great website, check out www.myfitnesspal.com
    I have a feeling he's already heard of myfitnesspal.com

How can you be so sure?

:laugh:
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten-free, so I have a lot of fruit and yogurt, gluten free pretzels, occasionally chips, eggs are good protein and fat, lots of water!... meals I usually have yogurt + fruit for breakfast, half a sandwich and fruit or some kind of veggie for lunch, dinner, we have a lot of chicken and it's getting boring...
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I believe my diary is also open. Feel free to take a gander.... I give up nothing. You can't take my beer from me....
    Options
    lol, thanks i will take a look
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    For me I've pretty much cut out desserts to keep my sugar down. So far I've stayed away from fast foods. Too many calories for what you get plus too much sodium. Still do meats, mostly chicken based stuff. I've stayed away from snack bars mostly because of the sugar content in them. trying to do more fresh veggies. As far as fruit I don't gorge on it but usually I do an apple and banana and berries. My snack if it fits in my calories is microwave popcorn. I add a splash of hot sauce to jazz it up some. Breakfast is usually oatmeal with berries or a banana.I'm probably drinking too much coffee but I try to get enough water. Also get protein from beans and almonds.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I would die without coffee, starbucks and coffee. I use a lite mocha blended frapp as a treat when I reach a goal. In moderation it's fine yknow!?

But I eat:

All sorts of veggies and fruit. (Fruit dipped in greek yogurt or bananas dipped in pb and dark chocolate are so good for you and sate your sweet tooth!!)

Cottage cheese (Almond butter or PB mixed here with an apple or berries= mothgasm)

Oatmeal!!! (Mix some yogurt, pb and almonds in here and some fruit)

Chicken, Turkey, Fish, shrimp, Bison and moose (I don't eat other red meat, but red meat is fine!!!)

Egg whites. (Love omelets ;) mushrooms, celerey, jalapenos, green onions and if you want skim cheese healthy fat!)

Whole grains (Bread, rice, quinoa)

Sweet potatoes!

I like food. I hate blandness. I like eating very clean. So I make healthy concoctions up... so I am happy.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    [

Wow that sounds depressing (apart from smoking, by all means quit that). Do you really see yourself never eating/drinking any of these things again? If not then your plan is not sustainable long term. You can be healthy without eliminating all those things.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I feel you need to eat more variety of foods. You seem to live of canned soups, Cliff bars, deli stuff and cereal ( which while it does not interfere with weight loss, is not the healthiest food around ). Since you started you ate one single leaf of lettuce and no other vegetables, you are often low on protein ( I could not find any eggs, fish, chicken or other meat, other than processed) plus I feel you need to find a balance between your constant and often significant going over calories and skipping meals. None of those things ( apart from going over on calories by so much that it negates your calorie deficit ) really interfere with weight loss, if you stick to your deficit, but this kind of life style is not the right thing if you would like to live healthier.
    Options
    well, long term, I hope to develop a more healthy routine by building up from scratch.

I feel good about this "scorched earth" approach.

It works for me. It might not be for everyone. I wanted a complete lifestyle change. I decided that is what I wanted .. and I went ahead and did it. I'm looking to learn more health conscious ways to evolve from the bare minimum platform. .. to round out the diet.

Don't get me wrong.. I have a cheat day/week. I'm no saint by any means. lol. I try to choose to break rules within reason.

Though, when I go out and reward myself for a good week, I have in my mind how hard the week was. How difficult it was for me to work through those "X" amount of calories. So, I stay mindful of the week ahead and try not to make that hard work less valuable by spoiling it with a 1500 cal trip to BK. you know?

but it feels sustainable for the short term. Looking more long term, well, hence this post. I'm seeking to learn from you.. new things that I can incorporate into the weekly diet. Hopefully other members visiting this thread will pick up a thing or two as well as they browse your responses.

Hoping to learn with others how to grow in positive ways. It may sound a bit depressing to you and some others. But for me, I assure you, it's been quite a trip. ;) thanks for the reply.
    Options
    I feel you need to eat more variety of foods. You seem to live of canned soups, Cliff bars, deli stuff and cereal ( which while it does not interfere with weight loss, is not the healthiest food around ). Since you started you ate one single leaf of lettuce and no other vegetables, you are often low on protein ( I could not find any eggs, fish, chicken or other meat, other than processed) plus I feel you need to find a balance between your constant and often significant going over calories and skipping meals. None of those things ( apart from going over on calories by so much that it negates your calorie deficit ) really interfere with weight loss, if you stick to your deficit, but this kind of life style is not the right thing if you would like to live healthier.

Am I over a lot? I haven't noticed that.. On occasion I'm burning 1200 or more calories at the gym/day.. so I assumed that being over the 1500 calorie limit was fine as long as I maintained a significant deficit per week. I don't think that I'm wrong about that. but am open to correction. When I burn 1400 calories in a day through exercise my body doesnt feel like the 1500 calorie limit is sufficient. I'm not sure that keeping within that exact constriction would be healthily productive.