My Thanksgiving Week Plan for Success

Options
OK - So I know from my work experience that if you have a plan you can set yourself up for success by setting milestones and goals to reach the plan.

I am not trying to diet only to slowly put the weight back on. I am trying to make lifelong changes. Part of life is celebrating holidays, so I have to learn to enjoy and celebrate in a different way than I have in the past.

I am also very hard on myself. If I don't make a plan that I can live with, I won't enjoy the holiday because I will be critical of myself and the choices I make. I will set myself up for failure and then feel like I have to start all over again. I want to feel good about myself.

I am currently trying to lose a pound a week and that means a calorie deficit of 500 each day. If I were not exercising, I can only eat 1300 calories a day to sustain the 500 calorie deficit. So, to maintain my weight I can eat 1800 calories a day. However, I workout, and when I do, I can eat those calories too.

Having said all that, here is my plan:

From Tuesday before Thanksgiving to Sunday after Thanksgiving I am allowing myself to consume 1800 calories a day (plus all my workout calories). This way I will not gain any weight through the holiday and will not destroy the progress I have made. Knowing I can eat all these extra calories (because it's part of my plan and I give myself permission to do so) I won't feel like I am missing out on the things that I love. I will be free to enjoy the holiday guilt free.

Anyone want to join me and we can support eachother?!

Replies

• thechurchlady
    Options
    that sounds like a great plan! I'll join you!:bigsmile:
  • MissDeb_01
    MissDeb_01 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan!
    I am currently gathering low carb (I'm following a LC diet) recipes of old holiday favorites so that I can stay on plan and not feel deprived at all!
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks about things so far in advance. I still have my 1 lb a week weight loss goals but I have my other mini goals as well. I kind of took Thanksgiving into account and only set my goal for losing 5 lbs during the month of November. I did that because I will probably be under that and if I am and I go up a little around Thanksgiving then I know that I still met my goal. Does that make sense?
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Very well thought out! My plan is very different. We lost my mom this last year and Thanksgiving was OUR holiday. So, its gonna be bery hard. I'm going to not cheat until then and then consider that one day (during which i will be drinking wine starting at 6 am) a cheat day. Kinda like the cheat weekends people have. I don't eat much during other holidays, its just thanksgiving that will be hard for me.
    I am excited to hear how it goes! Good Luck Girls!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks about things so far in advance. I still have my 1 lb a week weight loss goals but I have my other mini goals as well. I kind of took Thanksgiving into account and only set my goal for losing 5 lbs during the month of November. I did that because I will probably be under that and if I am and I go up a little around Thanksgiving then I know that I still met my goal. Does that make sense?

Canadian Thanksgiving is this weekend, so good advice for them
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    yes please

I want to Plan Thanksgiving, that really is the only way to get through this, I am trying to develop MY recipes, Turkey day foods are very high in fat and sodium and that is proving to be an interesting problem, but I will contribute as I can,

best of luck to all of us
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I am the cook in the Family. Two nights ago, we were out and I started talking about Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners. Invites, Menus, etc. I mentioned making Lasagna for Thanksgiving. I might as well have mentioned serving up Puppies and newborn Kittens. Got shot down big time.

Going with the same old same old this Thanksgiving. Did get them to lighten up on Christmas Dinner though. Going to make Lasagna then.
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan! I love this holiday season and I plan to fully enjoy it, but I also want to continue moving forward with my health/fitness goals. I'm planning to provide some healthier options for the holidays and my plan is to try and fill up on the healthy stuff and just have a bite or two of the more fattening foods. I'm already starting to try out new recipes and I'm doing really well only tasting a bite or two and I make sure to log everything I eat!
  • thedeepblue
    Options
    Thanks everyone! We will be healthier and happier as we make it though all these changes!