Was reading around and came across this article on CF.

Options
dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
Any crossfitters care to comment on it?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-robertson/crossfit-rhabdomyolysis_b_3977598.html

Been doing research on CF, and this is an interesting article paired with the handful of medical staff I've asked that have concerns.

Replies

• shannashannabobana
    Options
    I have seen the same problem occur in gyms. It seems quite rare, and not necessarily specific to crossfit.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Most of the people that get Rhabdomyolysis have two things:
    1) Genetic predisposition
    2) Pushing themselves well beyond their current fitness level

Very few people will push themselves to that. Heck, most people struggle to push themselves to get off the couch. CF does push people beyond their comfort level, which in moderation is good. When the individual doesn't check themselves, injuries can occur. That is why, knowing yourself and listening to your body are imporant aspects of getting fit the right way.
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Very few people will push themselves to that. Heck, most people struggle to push themselves to get off the couch. CF does push people beyond their comfort level, which in moderation is good. When the individual doesn't check themselves, injuries can occur. That is why, knowing yourself and listening to your body are imporant aspects of getting fit the right way.

+1. Especially to knowing yourself and listening to your body.

I've been doing CF for a year. Have met nobody who suffered from Rhabdo and, in fact, have yet to witness anybody puke. I just attended (watched) a CF competition last weekend with about 200 entrants, too (nobody puked, at least not that I saw). CF is not the evil people like to make it out to be. There are bad boxes and bad coaches that give CF a bad name. Fortunately my box is/has neither.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

+1. Especially to knowing yourself and listening to your body.

I've been doing CF for a year. Have met nobody who suffered from Rhabdo and, in fact, have yet to witness anybody puke. I just attended (watched) a CF competition last weekend with about 200 entrants, too (nobody puked, at least not that I saw). CF is not the evil people like to make it out to be. There are bad boxes and bad coaches that give CF a bad name. Fortunately my box is/has neither.

^Quote for all the truth.

PS--I didn't read the article (because, seriously...huffpo), but I've heard about this "CrossFit controversy" from other sources. Bear in mind that rhabdo is a possibility for any sport in which the participants are pushing themselves (and not listening to their body when it says it's being pushed too much).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    One of the interesting things was the claim that CF coaches are far too acquainted with the affliction than they should be. So it was interesting to read after the discussion I had with my PT this morning.

He was said a good number of his practice's shoulder and back problems come from the local CF population. Which was one reason he didn't advise doing it. Have any of you CF'ers seen shoulder/back issues in yourself, or others in your CF gyms?
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    One of the interesting things was the claim that CF coaches are far too acquainted with the affliction than they should be. So it was interesting to read after the discussion I had with my PT this morning.

He was said a good number of his practice's shoulder and back problems come from the local CF population. Which was one reason he didn't advise doing it. Have any of you CF'ers seen shoulder/back issues in yourself, or others in your CF gyms?

Shoulder, yes. From a friend who tried something she didn't know how to do (her description of events, not mine!).
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

How much knowledge is too much knowledge? I guess I would prefer my coach knew more about it rather than less. I'm getting the implication that "CF coaches are familiar with it because it happens more often to people who CF," but I don't believe that correlation implies causation here.

I've not seen anyone at my CF gym injure themselves (or throw up... or pass-out). There are a couple people who use tape or wrap on muscles/areas with which they've always had problems. There's a young lady about my age (25) who tapes her knee because of an old volleyball injury, and an older gentleman (40ish) who tapes his shoulder from a High School football injury.

That said, I'm not saying that CF doesn't have its own unique perils, but then again... so does every other sport. Let's pick on running a little--it's high-impact on your joints, and long-distance (i.e. marathon-type) runners sometimes experience injuries or less serious issues as a result of their training. A particular problem for men is nipple-chafing that ends in a bloody shirt. I won't post the pic for the faint of heart, but here's a link.
    http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqCF1KPc1-x_n0_pEFotxmzmVjbjJXIMG1S-4W2pdbMvAYcSFR8w

...Yummy. :tongue: