Salads

I am about to enjoy a nice homemade garden salad. Any suggestions what I can use to spuce up these veggies and still keep it low cal? I like to to try new things, but am on a budget as well.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    I like sea salt and pepper. Also, Mrs. Dash makes a bunch of varieties of spice blends that are great on salads, veggies and meats. If you like dressing, Bolthouse Farms makes some good yogurt based low cal dressings.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    I like to squeeze a bit of lemon into mine for a kick. What kind of vegetables do you have in it? For me, I can eat a salad practically dry if it has onions and garlic on it for flavor.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    dressing - Italian seasoning mix (I always have some on hand), olive oil ( to help absorb fat soluble vitamins) and a slash of lemon juice ( not as harsh as vinegar)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I put some cheese on it, with apple juice sweetened cranberries and sunflower seeds. I'll also add avocado or if you want a healthy dressing mix avocado with plain greek yogurt. (hmm maybe some lime and cilantro with it??) Sometimes I'll add a hard boiled egg or 2 and/or tuna. Depends on what the salad is. (snack/side/meal)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    I just made a salad which I store in the fridge and eat over 2 days.....around 700 calories
    84g protein....35g iron....22g fat....34g carbs.

Compliments - Garden Salad - Bagged, 6.8 Cups (100g)
    Generic - Large Green Bell Pepper, 1 Large (164 g)
    Celery - 2 Stalks, 2 ounces
    Vlasic - Zesty Dill Pickles Whole, 4 Pickle
    Butterball - Turkey Dog, 2 frank (56g)
    the Butchers Cut - Smoked Turkey -Thin Sliced, 11 slices
    Egg Whites - Jumbo, 7 Egg
    Popeye - Spinach, 1 cup
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    I always prepare my salad veg separate from the leaves, and dress the veg instead to keep my leaves crisp, but that's my personal preference...

Adding pineapple makes a huge difference, a little pesto, balsamic, lemon.

Orange and a tiny bit of mustard and spring onion stirred through grated carrot, sometimes a pinch of cumin.

Chop your salad veg - cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, spring onion, carrots, mix them together in a bowl and season with black pepper, fresh herbs, a little thai sweet chili and a swig of balsamic or citrus juice. I sometimes keep this in the fridge for days and I always have a nice filling for a wrap.

Semi sundried tomatoes and peso and pomegranate make AMAZING additions but those things are expensive so I don't always have them. Only when I have guests ;)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I don't generally do anything deliberately low cal. But occasionally i like to use a yogurt based blue cheese dressing(70 cal for 4tbs). Though normally I use a homemade blue cheese (270 cal for 4 tbs).
  • HOPEPATRICK74
    HOPEPATRICK74 Posts: 54 Member
    I like to squeeze a bit of lemon into mine for a kick. What kind of vegetables do you have in it? For me, I can eat a salad practically dry if it has onions and garlic on it for flavor.

I use iceburg, radish, red or green pepper, cucumbers, tomatoes, sometimes I will use mushrooms if I am eating it right when I make it, but not if I am making for lunch the next day.
  • beckyhoo
    beckyhoo Posts: 34 Member
    The basis of my everyday lunch consists of spinach, cucumber, grape tomatoes, avocado and red wine vinegar. Then I add a protein - usually fish or beans. Sometimes I switch things up by adding sauerkraut or artichoke.
  • Some lemon juice with sea salt and pepper would be good. Maybe add a little bit of olive oil. Salsa is also a good substitute for salad dressing.
  • tarawarner22
    tarawarner22 Posts: 26 Member
    I use Spicy Brown Mustard on my salads. :happy:
  • Lemon juice is nice. Feta cheese. In the colder months, it's nice to add some warmth like topping lettuce with roasted vegetables. Or make themed salads like greek: feta, olives, hummus, cucumbers over lettuce. or mexican: black beans/beef, salsa, sour cream/plain greek yogurt over lettuce. And sometimes just some fresh ground black pepper can change up a boring salad.
  • vjhaack1
    vjhaack1 Posts: 1 Member
    I use yellow mustard (0 calories) plus raw honey thinned with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
  • I have really been enjoying adding jalapenos to my salads lately.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    I do salads in a mason jar and layer them...dressing on bottom, crunchy veggies next (peppers, sugar plum tomatoes, chopped zucchini, yellow squash) heart of palm or artichoke hearts, protein (usually chicken or cut up steak)), hard boiled eggs and lettuce on top. I don't do dairy or grains but if you do you can add quinoa, brown rice, pasta, cheese...or whatever between the protein and the lettuce. Nothing gets soggy and they stay good for about a week. I just shake them up, dump it on a plate at work and enjoy!
  • raelo88
    raelo88 Posts: 8 Member
    Fresh cilantro is a flavorful addition to a salad...I also like to add some chopped olives to mine. A simple low calorie delicious dressing is balsamic vinaigrette, and you can easily make your own with a little olive oil and some balsamic vinegar. Mmmm delicious.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    If you like dressing, Bolthouse Farms makes some good yogurt based low cal dressings.

^^Yes. I've tried several varieties and really liked them. Their Caesar is really great and only 45 calories.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    If you like dressing, Bolthouse Farms makes some good yogurt based low cal dressings.

^^Yes. I've tried several varieties and really liked them. Their Caesar is really great and only 45 calories.

This is the yogurt blue cheese to which I was referring. Great taste and not loaded with sugar as most so-called low fat dressings are.
  • silencethelamb
    silencethelamb Posts: 28 Member
    Bump! Salad in a jar, genius.