any fencers?

Options
Anyone here fence? I've been doing it for about 5 years, but just recreationally. You'd think I'd better at it.

Replies

• Satoris
    Satoris Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've fenced foil and epee. It's a heckuva mental and physical workout. Problem I have is that there aren't really that many people to fence. It's not like I can walk around downtown with a blade in by belt and challenge random folks to duels. And I don't have the extra $$$ to join any nearby sword clubs.

Not sure which flavor I favor. I like the grace and speed of foil--more of the stereotypical gentleman's game. And I love the tip control techniques. Seems faster to me than epee. But there's something more visceral about epee. It's the style modeled after the 'first blood' sparring. Fewer rules--at least fewer formal rules...depends how you play. Epee definitely has left me with more bruises than foil.

For me it's all recreational, too.
  • funandfitness22
    Options
    I know what you mean about finding people to duel....I tried this sword workout with my friends called Steel MBS. Its a real sword but the workout is a bit more like tai chi you could say. there's some cool moves and I end up making up a lot of my own.

Plus the looks you get when youre on the beach working out with a sword is priceless!
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I train Kendo along with my karate - does that count? It's not FENCING, but it's sword work!
  • funandfitness22
    Options
    I think any sword work counts!