Desk job

Options
I have a desk job, but i tend to take the steps and walk 20 mins on lunch. That does not count towards my exercising. Should I choose desk job or slightly active?

Also what exercise watch or bands do you recommend to keep a watch out for daily calories burned?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I would just choose sedentary and then count the 20 minutes of walking into my exercise.
  • donjessop
    Options
    I agree with Lizzy662 as that is what I have done. I've started walking more (did my first 10,000 step day yesterday) but other than walking I sit at my desk all day long so i selected sedentary.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    for desk job VS. slightly active: I would just calculate how many calories you need to consume to lose weight (just food, no exercise) here is a link to find out :http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

and then get either a Nike fuel, fitbit (what I have) or any other pedometer to track your daily calorie burn
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Sedentary and put your 20 minute walk in as a bonus. No need to log every move you make as exercise.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm an IT manager, in fact I'm the one man IT band here at my company. The lion's share of my work day is sitting at this keyboard. However, we have two floors in a sprawling building so if someone needs my help I could be walking up and down stairs and to and from the other end of the building.

I don't log any of those calories, nor do I log putting out the trash, doing the dishes, laundry or anything else along those lines.

Despite the fact that I have a HRM and a kitchen scale, I don't fully trust my calorie counts but they are close enough that this small amout of unlogged activity should balance out against error.

I do log my lunchtime walks, running and time at the gym, but MFP treats me as sendentary.
  • wayouttenor03
    wayouttenor03 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, i will put sedentary and chart the exercise!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Re: number of steps for lightly active, etc.

<5000 steps/day may be used as a sedentary lifestyle
    5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity might be considered low active
    7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities considered somewhat active
    10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as active
    >12500 steps/day are likely to be classified as highly active

Some people wear a pedometer (all day) and work toward step goals.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job and wore the BodyMedia for almost a year...I was most definitely sedentary (Desk Job)...even with my frequent bathroom breaks, daily life tasks (walking to car, etc), and going out to lunch each day.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and always thought that even though I have a desk job that I was pretty active since I run errands and check on people throughout the day. Discovered even with the amount of moving around that I do that I average way less than 5,000 steps a day unless I plan some extended exercise outside of work. Even with going for a 5 km run I'm lucky to hit over 12,000 steps. I don't rely too much on the Fitbit for calories but it is interesting to see how our perception and reality don't always line up.