Loose skin during and after weight loss?

Options
Do you guys think that loose skin can be minimal if one exercises? I read that some say yes while others say no? So what have been/are your results with how your skin is at the moment with the weight you are dropping?

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have read that an exercise program that includes weight training can help minimize loose skin issues. Unfortunately, if you have a lot of weight to lose, it's going to be a problem at first. But with patience and perseverance, the loose skin will subside after awhile. The skin is an organ, and when your body realizes it doesn't need to expend the resources to maintain it, then it will slowly diminish.

Here's an article that summarizes some of the information involving loose skin that might be of some help.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/how-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss?page=all

(there's an auto-play ad that kicks in, so you may want your audio speakers down if you're at work)

Good luck to you!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Strength training can definitely help with that by preserving more muscle during weight loss. But if you're losing a large amount of weight, it could still be an issue at first.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I exercise and my skin sags anyway. It is what it is. I'm hoping that it shrinks back a little bit after I'm finished with this, but because I'm older (45) I don't think my chances are good.

The one place where weights seem to have helped is my arms. I still have substantial loose skin, but it looks a little bit better.
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I include a lot of fish in my diet to help promote better skin. Omega 3 fatty acids are good for the skin. They are found in fish. I can take Omega 3 pills or eat fish. I prefer eating fish. I am hoping my rooster chin disappears at some point but after losing 26 pounds, my skin seems to be receding.
  • zilaps
    Options
    I have the same problem as well. I have not experienced any changes on my skin but i have seen a lot of before and after pictures of mothers who have changed their bodies and you can only see the stretch marks. I do believe its possible to eliminate it but working extremely hard. Good luck!!
  • ShutupndMovee257
    ShutupndMovee257 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    people that tell you not to lift right away are wrong! You want to avoid as much loose skin as possible? Start weight training immediately!