number on scale increases but clothes are looser?

Options
I don't get it! My diet has consisted of grilled chicken, baked potatoes, granola bars, oatmeal, bananas....all things healthy! But the scale is increasing as well as not budging but my clothes feel more loose. What's going on?

Replies

• dlbkr
    Options
    And so far I've done very little exercise so it can't be building muscle?
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that the number on the scale is not important when it comes to fat loss. The scale with fluctuate; that is normal & happens for various reasons.

It sounds like you are losing inches which means you're losing fat. If you have not taken measurements I suggest you do so - and measure everything! The more places you measure the happier you'll be.
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the losing inches more than the scales moving ! Since starting mfp in August I've only lost 8kg but have dropped 3 dress sizes going into a 4th ! I'm still interested in what the scales say but know its not the only way to judge success . Keep going it will happen !
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers for you, but while you wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to come along, you might want to post some information that I'm pretty sure they'll want:

1.) How much weight have you gained?
    2.) How long has this trend been going on?
    3.) How accurately are you logging your calories?
    4.) How's your water consumption?
    5.) Open your diary so others can see it.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Could it be close to your time of the month? I always go up a bit or stall just before and during. I can count on about 3-4 lbs lost immediately after. Don't be too reliant on the scale because a few drinks, some salty food or TOM can keep it from budging! Some people only weigh themselves once a week to minimize such fluctuations.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yeah, scale fluctuations can happen for a myriad of reasons but mostly water weight due to high sodium, exercise increase or women's monthly cycle. And most of the time those slight increases go away in a week or so. Obviously you're doing something right if you're losing inches so be proud, keep up the good work and don't put too much behind what the scale says.

FYI, make sure you're weighing yourself on the same scale, wearing the same thing (or nothing) at around the same time every day. Say one day you weigh and it's first thing in the morning, nude, after you go to the bathroom, then the next time you weigh afer eating breakfast and you have a heavy robe on - obviously you'll be up a bit due to the food in your belly and the robe.
  • dlbkr
    Options
    I have been eating healthy for about 10 days. I know that's not long, but in the past I would have dropped at least 3-5 numbers on the scale by now. I actually haven't been logging, but I have been trying to log in my head. I usually go over on calories but I am eating healthy and drinking 3-5 bottles of water per day and no sweets:-)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have been eating healthy for about 10 days. I know that's not long, but in the past I would have dropped at least 3-5 numbers on the scale by now. I actually haven't been logging, but I have been trying to log in my head. I usually go over on calories but I am eating healthy and drinking 3-5 bottles of water per day and no sweets:-)

Well, if you're going over on cals it doesn't matter if it's healthy, sweets, or whatever..... calories in vs calories out for weight loss.
  • Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you are not logging then you have no idea how much you are eating. You would be suprised at how much you are actually consuming if you logged and weighed your food. Calories in are calories in no matter what types of food it comes from.

You can eat nothing but grilled chicken, and if you are only supposed to eat 2k a day and you eat 3k of grilled chicken then its not going to do you any good. :) And yes watch the inches. :) Everything in moderation.
  • kimdefranco9
    Options
    Other people say, could the actual food you are eating. Our bodies may be allergic to the food (not all most likely) or processes it differently. Go see a dietitian. There are programs that eliminate certain foods from your diet. That will be a process...

And even though you are doing it in your head (guess depending how long you have been doing this site), often times it isn't as correct as it should be. I know I have done that. Or at least write it down. Visuals help me.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don't get it! My diet has consisted of grilled chicken, baked potatoes, granola bars, oatmeal, bananas....all things healthy! But the scale is increasing as well as not budging but my clothes feel more loose. What's going on?

Besides the chicken, the rest is all high in carbs and sugar. Logging will also help you see how healthy the food you eat ACTUALLY is.
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You won't see results if you are consistantly going over your daily budget, even if eating nothing but healthy food. There IS such thing as too much of a good thing. If you're serious about this, you should be logging everything that goes into your mouth so you can notice your trends and bad habits.
  • gwms02
    Options
    fbmandy55 is correct. Still eating too much of wrong stuff.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way.

Things that make your scale weight go up- gas, water retention, TOM, fibre intake, time of day, temperature, time since last bowel movement etc etc

Things that make your clothes looser- you getting smaller, pants goblins.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are consuming too many calories? Be cautious of sugar and fat content in the granola bars. Some of those granola bars are as bad as eating a candy bar. Bananas are great in moderation, but they pack a ton of fructose. An apple or berries would be a better option.

If you aren't seeing results on the scale try taking your measurements.