34 years old, looking to lose 70!

Options
Hi folks!

Am brand new to MFP. My name is Lisa and I'm looking forward to joining the community. It's time to get serious! LOL

I quit smoking 2 weeks ago and finally feel ready to get serious about my health. I'm 223 lbs now and I'd like to get down to 150 eventually.

I was diagnosed last November with a spinal cord tumor and had it removed in January 2013. Going through such a scary event like this really helped me to focus on my body and drove home the point that I should take better care of myself.

Counting calories and sticking within my budget is more difficult than quitting smoking!! The urge to snack far outweighs the urge to smoke.

I look forward to getting to know you all better. Best of luck!
Lisa

Replies

• janetj2013
    Options
    Welcome!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa, congratulations on quitting. Welcome, I am Laura and I am looking to lose about 35-45 pounds! :) Feel free to add me if you would like.

To healthier days ahead of you! :drinker:
  • rolftrap
    Options
    Good luck!
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I'm also 34 and my starting weight was 229, I'm 5'7". Been here since April. And I'm down to 192.8. My goal is 159, of course I will be readjusting that number once I get there. Good luck!

If you like you can add me :)
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa! well done for giving up smoking! enjoy your weight journey and keep coming to the boards you will get. Lots of help, enjoy your journey.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I can't wait to quit smoking myself. Quit date set and everything! Congratulations on healthy choices! Good luck! I've been a member since 2010. 5'7 down to 135 from 185. You can do this. I'm turning 35 in October, I started this when I was 32. It can be done.
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    We are the same age with similar goals if you are looking for some friends. :o)
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am 35. My starting weight was 227 in July. I am down to 207 by exercise and diet. MFP is great for motivation. Good luck on your journey.
  • tomhaegdorens
    tomhaegdorens Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • tjames719
    tjames719 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm Tonja. Feel free to add me. Best wishes on your journey!
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Welcome and Congrats on making one of the best decisions ever!! If you are looking for friends feel free to add me :smile:
  • KalieHudson
    KalieHudson Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Great job coming here to help you in your journey. MPF is a great place to help achieve your goals. I have a completely open diary so feel free to check it out. I sent you a friend request. Anyone feel free to add!
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm also 34 at topped out around 225 after my second pregnancy. Right now my first goal is loosing another 15 pounds to return to my per-pregnancy weigh. I'm into both running (working towards my first 10k) and I've started lifting weights as well.
  • flowersofdawn
    flowersofdawn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Same age with like goals in the weight loss area for sure. :o) Always looking MFP supporter.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Hi, there! Welcome! I am 34 years old as well, and started at 238. I am 5'7. I quit smoking 3 years ago, and am so glad I did ... so congrats! It seems to take us all something to motivate us to lose the extra weight, for me it was me showing some precursors for diabetes, my mother learning she was diabetic, and my son being diagnosed with high cholesterol last December just solidified my reasons to get healthier. I am happy to say those precursors are gone, and I am almost half way to my goal of 160. Good Luck on your journey! You may friend me for extra support.
  • LisaRay2013
    LisaRay2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • Sugarhiccup03
    Sugarhiccup03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome! Congrats on quitting smoking as well! I can totally understand where you're coming from I have has some health issues that have made me take a long hard look at how I was taking care of my body as well. At almost 33 I had to change some things lol. I still have a long way to go but that's what we are all here for right :). Here's to change! I'll send you a friend request and anyone feel free to add me as well!
  • caryn7780
    caryn7780 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am glad you are here. If you would like, you can feel free to add me. I am just getting started again and I have found that the more support you have the better you will do!

IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE MORE SUPPORT AS WE ALL STRIVE TO MEET OUR WEIGHT GOALS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD ME!!!
  • chelsealeigha
    chelsealeigha Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa. I am also 34 with the same goal in mind. I have recently been diagnosed with a brain stem tumor. I am being monitored right now because they cannot even biopsy it where it is. It's very scary and has made me rethink my whole life. I really wish that I could have mine removed and move on. Unfortunately, that won't happen. All I can hope for is zero growth. I have another MRI in December. I will definitely add you if you would like to add me!!!