Sugar overload

Options
I am going over in my sugars everyday, usually just in breakfast. I eat a lot of fruit which seems to be what is killing me but it is my favorite thing to add to every meal, to snack on, to settle an upset stomach, etc. Any suggestions? Do I just ignore the recommended number? Cut down my fruit? And if I did that what do I replace it with? Ahhhhh! Help!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a reason to, don't overcomplicate things by tracking sugar and sodium. Pay attention to total cals, fat, carbs and protein.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a reason to, don't overcomplicate things by tracking sugar and sodium. Pay attention to total cals, fat, carbs and protein.

Yep this...................:drinker:
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Yep this...................:drinker:

Yup
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are good for you. That count is meant more for added sugars. Unless you are diabetic I wouldn't worry about it. I removed sugar from my diary altogether.
  • JennyferZ
    JennyferZ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with ignoring all the numbers MFP gives to you. If they weren't important as well, then they wouldn't be there, right? :wink:
    Too much sodium = water retention and excess sugar turns into fat. It may not be refined "bad" sugar, but lets face it... Sugar is sugar.

I've had to cut down to just a cup of berries once a day, which makes me sad as I also love fruits :grumble: But veggies is always a great alternative for snacks instead!!!

Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • HOPEPATRICK74
    HOPEPATRICK74 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are good for you. That count is meant more for added sugars. Unless you are diabetic I wouldn't worry about it. I removed sugar from my diary altogether.

I did as well
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Too much sodium = water retention
    So? It goes away when sodium levels drop.

Also, exercise causes water retention... should we all stop that, too?

excess sugar turns into fat.
    No it doesn't, at least not necessarily. Excess CALORIES turn into fat.
    [/quote]
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with ignoring all the numbers MFP gives to you. If they weren't important as well, then they wouldn't be there, right? :wink:
    Too much sodium = water retention and excess sugar turns into fat. It may not be refined "bad" sugar, but lets face it... Sugar is sugar.

I've had to cut down to just a cup of berries once a day, which makes me sad as I also love fruits :grumble: But veggies is always a great alternative for snacks instead!!!

Natural sugars from fruit are important and good for you. The MFP counter is meant for added sugar like from candy and soda.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to reduce your fruit consumption how about eating fruits that contain less sugar? Bananas, Mangos, Pineapple, Pears and Melon have a lot of fructose. Apples, berries, and grapefruit have lower sugar content.
  • JennyferZ
    Options
    Water retention definitely lowers when you reduce sodium intake and/or increase water consumption.
    Nice "point" with "exercising causes water retention/should we all stop that too?" you get an A+ for being a smartass to get your point across. (Normally adults discuss matters and don't need to try to belittle someone or be sarcastic... lol) All I was saying, is if you can try to reduce sodium to avoid excess retention, why not, right? Too much sodium is known to be bad for our bodies, so why wouldnt we want to track it to keep the numbers down? And yes excess calories turn into fat. I never said it didnt. But excess sugar does as well, as does excess carbs, etc. Hence why it's good to track all macros.
  • JennyferZ
    Options

Natural sugars from fruit are important and good for you. The MFP counter is meant for added sugar like from candy and soda.

I absolutely agree natural sugars are the best for you. 100%!!!!!
    I would love to see where it says on this website, that the sugar count, is only for refined sugar though?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Water retention definitely lowers when you reduce sodium intake and/or increase water consumption.
    Nice "point" with "exercising causes water retention/should we all stop that too?" you get an A+ for being a smartass to get your point across. (Normally adults discuss matters and don't need to try to belittle someone or be sarcastic... lol) All I was saying, is if you can try to reduce sodium to avoid excess retention, why not, right? Too much sodium is known to be bad for our bodies, so why wouldnt we want to track it to keep the numbers down? And yes excess calories turn into fat. I never said it didnt. But excess sugar does as well, as does excess carbs, etc. Hence why it's good to track all macros.

1) Most people can't track everything and hit everything on a regular basis AND still have a flexible, enjoyable, sustainable diet.
    2) No... if you're in a calorie deficit, there's no such thing (in any sort of reasonable diet) as excess sugar. Your body will use it.
    3) Sodium isn't a macro. It's a micro.

• JennyferZ
    Options

1) Most people can't track everything and hit everything on a regular basis AND still have a flexible, enjoyable, sustainable diet.
    2) No... if you're in a calorie deficit, there's no such thing (in any sort of reasonable diet) as excess sugar. Your body will use it.

Ah, spelling corrections now too. Cyber bully eh?? I'll just take the higher road and agree to disagree with you :drinker:
    I see a lot of forums here, where people have different opinions. Everyone is entitled to theirs - it's just a shame you had to come through in "attack mode" as I would have loved an actual discussion.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Ah, spelling corrections now too. Cyber bully eh?? I'll just take the higher road and agree to disagree with you :drinker:
    I see a lot of forums here, where people have different opinions. Everyone is entitled to theirs - it's just a shame you had to come through in "attack mode" as I would have loved an actual discussion.

That spelling mistake made your statement factually wrong and potentially misleading to other readers. I wasn't picking on you, I was clarifying bad information for other readers.

Cyber bully? Wow. I've been fairly harsh a few times in the past, but this is certainly not one of them. Yes, my comment about giving up exercise because it can cause water retention was a bit snarky, but it was an exaggeration to make a point. I wasn't bullying you then, nor am I now. I'm trying to point out what I believe is bad information. If you feel that you are correct (which obviously you do), then give some information to support your point.

You're right. There are lots of opinions, and everyone is entitled to theirs. But there's a difference between opinions and facts. If you want to discuss facts, then fine, let's do it. If you want to discuss opinion, then that's also fine. Opinions can be agreed and disagreed on. Facts cannot.

I'm not saying I know everything. But I do feel like I know something.

Point 1
    The average person who is struggling to find consistency and adhere to a reasonable diet is going to struggle even more if they try to also manage every micronutrient available on a product label. Does that mean that absolutely everyone will? No, but the vast majority will, which is why I suggest people start with the basics. Then, once they have a good handle on the basics, they can worry about the finer details.

Point 2
    Let's use round numbers for the sake of easy conversation. I'll also note that we are WAAAY oversimplifying things as we talk about sugars and fat. But again, for the sake of conversation... If the body needs 2000 calories per day to do everything we ask it to do, but we only give it 1500 calories per day, how will an excess of sugars be stored as fat? If the body is short of energy, won't it use those calories (a calorie is a unit of energy) for things like walking, breathing, typing, making dinner, doing laundry, working out, etc? Why would it store something that it already doesn't have enough of?
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I go over with sugar too. Having two nectarines for breakfast and the sugar intake is reached. Was wondering yesterday how to cut sugar but the only way is stop eating fruits ( and I really dislike the idea)...