I could really use help with my workout routines.

Options
So, I hope Im not asking too much of you BUT, I've lost 50 pounds by diet only.
Im looking to lose some more inches, Im DONE looking at the scale.

But I have no idea where to start when it comes to working out.

Dont get me wrong, I go to the gym but ALL I do is cardio.
NO strength training. And theres where I'm failing.

I dont know where to start, how to start, what to do. Anything.

I want to TONE as I lose more weight.

Is there anyone that can help me set up a weekly workout routine?
I love cardio. And do it 7 days a week. Some days more intense than others.

So, if you could write up a routine for say a BEGINNER that includes strength training, I would be FOREVER greatful <3

Replies

• pswarbri27
    Options
    Dieting is a great start! It is by far the most important factor in achieving your weight loss goals, great job so far and congratulations on your current weight loss success. Combining a healthy diet with resistance training is going to dramatically increase your fat loss because your muscles are going to continue to burn calories even after your exercise routine. You've got the right idea there. Here is a video I found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUoLuVGWpA. This women knows what she's talking about and gives you a few safe and effective exercises you can do at home or at the gym to target a full body burn. Don't hesitate to follow some of the recommended videos along the side of the page to learn more. Remember, the more you put in, the more you get out of each workout so push yourself, but don't strain yourself! Safety first.

Good luck, and feel free to ask questions.

-Paul
  • Amy_Andrews
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has a lot of good programs you can look into.

I would also suggest asking at your gym if someone that works there can show you around the weights and recommend a program.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Focus on full body and large muscle exercises (squats, deadlifts, rows and bench press). Start with low weights/no weights until you are comfortable with your form. I know it is easy to gravitate to the machines and to do small muscle exercises (curls, tricep extensions, abductor and adductors) but these do very little for you.

If you're in doubt, find a good personal trainer/coach (check references), to teach you the proper form.
  • danabartocci
    Options
    Does your gym offer a free meeting with a personal trainer? Try one. Or pay for a personal trainer for a couple sessions and get a routine.

Does your gym have barbell classes? Like bodypump or any other sculpt type class? Those might be a good place to start too. You can always stay before or after class to ask about form too.
  • LeeLeeLooLoo51812
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! My gym has trainers, but I dont know how qualified they are. I dont want to hurt myself. The weight loss ive had so far has encouraged me to try harder.

Ill look up youtube videos as well and see what I can benefit from that. I hope to achieve my goals, but need to learn the ropes first.
  • MichaelWms
    MichaelWms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about this and it seems you are, you might consider (if possible) investing in a "strength and conditioning coach". These people usually have more training, experiance and education than your run of the mill trainer at the gym. That's what I did when first starting out. It helped me to learn the basics and perfect form,etc.

If not you might evaluate your current friends and see if any have the body you want and ask if they would be open to going to the gym a few times with you and showing you the basics?
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! My gym has trainers, but I dont know how qualified they are. I dont want to hurt myself. The weight loss ive had so far has encouraged me to try harder.

Ill look up youtube videos as well and see what I can benefit from that. I hope to achieve my goals, but need to learn the ropes first.
    Your gym has trainers? WHy not watch them training others while you are on the cardio machines? I've been watching the trainers at my gym andhow they train and interact with their clients... some of them I wouldnt want to go with, others I would.... then go speak with each of them a couple of times, tell them what YOU want, and see how they react to that.
  • lulz14
    lulz14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would really recommend getting a personal trainer, even if just for one session.

Use internet/Youtube to find out how to do the "basics," i.e. lunges, squats etc.

Machines are less intimidating compared to free weights and it's harder to have bad form. Just jump on a few and seems what right. Do three sets of reps at a weight where you can just do 6 - 8 reps.