Changing Tastes

Options
grapeeyes1
grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
I am curious how many other people's tastes have changed. I used to not be able to eat spicy foods, now I crave them.

Replies

• hnp1987
    Options
    I like bitter treats like dark chocolate, coffee, and some green veggies. Things I never liked before are treats and fillers for me now. Crazy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Kind of the nice thing about aging our taste buds decrease and what used to be too strong is now tolerable. Also more exposure to a certain food or a shift in your general attitude.
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like bitter treats like dark chocolate, coffee, and some green veggies. Things I never liked before are treats and fillers for me now. Crazy.

I have always loved dark chocolate, yum. Now I even crave cabbage.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    In the last 10 years, I come to love east Indian spices and foods! As a former milk chocolate addict; lately, I've come to really like dark chocolate. Not so much a fan of super sweet things, especially since starting to watch what I eat (ya, the all known lifestyle change).
  • hnp1987
    Options
    I wish I would have taken to dark chocolate long ago!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I love sauerkraut now, which makes Oktoberfest lots more fun for me! :)
  • violetartfolks
    Options
    I like more savory things and spicy things now. I feel like I taste things differently too.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    After I had weight loss surgery, my taste buds changed too. It was weird how I stopped craving fatty foods (and actually found them to be gross). Weird!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I think my tastes have just gotten a lot pickier during the past year or so (and the past 6 months since joining MFP). My fiancé has a more evolved palate ;-) That sounds so silly. But he and his mom have been home chefs and foodies since he was a child, so he's introduced me to things I never really considered before. Making my own pasta sauce and adding wine and herbs has ruined me on Ragu. Homemade nachos with avocado and fresh grated cheese make me not want Taco Bell ever. Developing a NEED for a specific type of baby bok choy and specific brand of Korean dumplings and the right type of sesame oil... Stuff like that!

As far as eating healthier and my changing tastes...I don't have such an obsession with diet soda or Starbucks lattes/mochas anymore. They just have too strong of flavor and too sweet.

I find that I am continually "graduating" when it comes to yogurt. Used to love fruity creamy versions from Dannon or Yoplait, then went to Greek with fruit on the bottom, then Greek vanilla sweetened...now Fage 0% and I only put a tiny bit of honey or berries.

I haven't had much beef, pork, or chicken in the past year. I quit eating those on Thanksgiving last year and aside from a plate of sesame chicken once, and some hamburger ground into a sauce in another dish, I haven't touched (or missed) it at ALL.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    After I had weight loss surgery, my taste buds changed too. It was weird how I stopped craving fatty foods (and actually found them to be gross). Weird!

I've never been big into sweets, and I would have a few bites and then hit what I call my "sweet threshold." I just couldn't eat another bite of whatever it was. DH never understood it until he had WLS last November. He now has a threshold too, and not just a physical "dumping" reaction, but a few bites and he doesn't want anymore. It's great!