Negative Nancy Today

Options
Hello all! My name is Tarran. I heard about MFP through a friend at work and I downloaded the application onto my phone and I started to use it, I have heard lots of positive feedback, so I am excited. I am cancelling my weight watchers membership most likely if I see success with this. Anywho- I weigh about 260... I had a baby 4 months ago & afterward I started depression medicine and I was walking (at the mall) 3-5x/week and I started to lose weight. I got down to about 245 (which was my weight previous to conception) and then I started back to work (where I stand, but do not walk much, all day) and stopped taking my depression medicine. About 50 days back to work now and I am tipping the scale...some day at 263 some days at 260. I'm extremely frustrated and I've never been this big. 3 or 4 days ago I started going to the gym again because I am so unhappy with the way I look. Since then I haven't seen any major changes, usually when I start eating healthy I seem immediate changes on the scale (this time I added working out into the mix) and now I am seeing nothing. It is so frustrating, I feel like I am never going to get anywhere with this. I just want to see SOME progress to keep me motivated and keep my wanting to continue my journey. Today I told my BF that I'm no longer eating the food he cooks at night (we live together) for dinner because I can't count the calories in it and that is the meal I ALWAYS seem to eat too much on. I plan on eating sandwiches and chicken breasts for the next couple weeks. Also it doesn't help that when I go to the gym I don't see anyone who looks like me, everyone is already thin. I think this is the hardest time I have had with losing weight in my whole life because I used to waitress, so all I had to do was eat healthier.
Anyway, if anyone has any KIND WORDS of encouragement, that would be helpful! I'm all for honesty and keeping it real, but if you have something MEAN TO SAY PLEASE DO NOT. And...Please don't say "You just had a baby..." because I know that and I take into account for that, but NOW I'm ready/need to lose weight.
Thank YOU so much for reading my amazing long post.

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    welcome to this site. It is a great site, there is alot of info, motivation and encouragement. Hang in there. Track your food and exercise daily, dont give up. If you dont give up you will eventually reach your goal it is those that give up that dont reach it. I too have alot of weight to lose, I have been on here for 3 months and have lost 27 lbs, it does work. You can do this. Feel free to add me as a friend
  • LLP1225
    LLP1225 Posts: 21
    Options
    Sounds like you came to the right place. I am all for supporting others. It seems that I need support during some times more than others. Depression is hard to deal with alone, but also trying to lose weight is tough. Losing weight is a life change that takes commitment and I know from experience that depression can get in the way of commitment. I know that with the right support from the right people that you can do this! Be strong. You deserve this for you!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    hi Tarran.....hey, your comment about no one looking like you at the gym, lol.........well, let me tell you, before you went to that gym recently, those same people looked just like you , only they have been going there for some time

Trust me,lol,,,,,,,,,,I know what you are talking about, lol....this is too funny, because they all know you re new, youre not there to make friends, you have an agenda, and youre focused........

KEEP GOING, and dont let any comments or looks take you out.......I weighed 341, lol. and I got on a tread mill, and I had exercise induced asthma, and I could only last 10 mins..........

8 months, 8 days later, Im 104 lbs lighter, can last 2 hours on the tread mill, and Im looking like the rest of the crowd there as well,,,,Im also now using the weight machines, ie, the bi and tri flex equipment

we all know you gotta start somewheres.........

heavy people BELONG in a gym............

How do you think all those hotties got that way? They werent born beautiful, they had to work on it

By working out like the rest of us, and staying focused.........

I know what you mean about those meds ,some of the side effects of anit depressents are weight gain

Keep staying focused, GO TO THE GYM............ and you will succeed..........

.I didnt let failure become an option in my life........Lloyd

put me down as a friend, Ill support you on your journey........
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Please don't be so hard on yourself. Take joy in what you can at the moment - you've started on the right track just by knowing you need to do something to get healthier. You've been doing workouts. Just give it some time. You are doing the right things and it will pay off.

Everyone is different, so if eating the same thing every night works for you, go for it. MFP has a huge database of foods with nutritional values, so don't be afraid to try other things. I recommend getting a healthy cookbook or searching online for recipes. Allrecipes.com has a healthy recipe section - although not all recipes have nutritional values, you can always add them into MFP & it will do the calculation for you.

For a lot of people, just getting started is the hardest part and you've accomplished that. Keep it up and it won't be long before you start to see results. It takes time to change habits, lose weight & keep it off, but I know you can do it. With all the folks here at MFP, you'll have lots of support whenever you need it!
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your kind words! I am going to keep going, I can't give up yet, it is the wrong thing to do. I have to keep moving forward, its only been 3 work outs. Eating healthy will help change everything faster and I was eating healthy for breakfast and lunch and then for dinner eating healthy but with too much food going in. My biggest problem is eating when I'm not hungry- I need to focus on only eating when I am hungry!!!!
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your kind words! I am going to keep going, I can't give up yet, it is the wrong thing to do. I have to keep moving forward, its only been 3 work outs. Eating healthy will help change everything faster and I was eating healthy for breakfast and lunch and then for dinner eating healthy but with too much food going in. My biggest problem is eating when I'm not hungry- I need to focus on only eating when I am hungry!!!!
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    First off I want to say welcome to MFP!! This is a great site to use and everyone is so encouraging!! I just want to say that you can't expect immediate results but keep the mind set the your making a great change in the right direction!! Not only for yourself but for your baby because he/she will pick up on your healthy habits. You need to look at this as a life style change not a diet, when I first started on MFP I first started by changing my bad eating habits such as snacking and late night eating ( which is really bad for your body) it helps to start with starting small goals for yourself and getting rid of all the junk in the house!! Get your self easy to make healthy foods like fruits, veggies ect and just let your boyfriend do his thing but just ask him to not eat tempting things around you! After he sees your success and how great it makes you feel I bet he will be right there with you jumping on the healthy wagon :) this site can work because it keeps you accountable for what you do and I just love it!! Great luck on your journey!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Mom of four here. Your baby is only four months old so lack of sleep plays a factor here. Also, make sure you are drinking enough water. I am talking at least a gallon a day. (maybe more if you are breastfeeding) That water is soooooo important!! If you are not keeping your body properly hydrated, it won't work right. It's similar to a car engine that won't work right if it doesn't have enough coolant. You can use Crystal Light if you want some flavor in your water. Also, MFP has a feature on here where you can input all the ingredients in a recipe including the number of servings, and it will tell you how many calories are in it. I have put in my mashed potatoes, biscuits, pancakes, spaghetti sauce, etc. Anything. Go to the recipes tab on your food diary and create a new recipe. That should help. I wish you the best of luck. A lot of us also have a long way to go, and we'll be right there with you. I would suggest just simply walking for your exercise. At least at first. As all us moms know, pushing a baby in a stroller is a good workout. Since you are uncomfortable at a gym (understandable..I am terrified of them), walking is probably your best bet here. Good luck and I hope you have a great day Mommy Nancy Tarran. :wink:
  • missbabybee
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you for a long time. I was never SKINNY, by any means, but I was never this big. I tried on my own for a long time and my weight would yo-yo like crazy. One year I'd be 185lbs, and the next 225, then the next 205....I never really had it under control. After I turned 30, things got even harder. There was no yo-yo, just a slow but consistent gain. It was at that point that I realized that I needed help. I asked my doctor for a referral to a nutritionist who helped me understand how to make healthy swap outs (whole grains, high pigment veggies, beans, etc). That worked a little bit, because I stopped growing, but I wasn't losing any weight. So I gave in and hired a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetic & heart disease prevention. She created a meal plan tailored just for me. She educated me on portion control, food science (nutrition in each food and how they work together), and even taught me how to cut the calories when eating at a restaurant! For me, it was time to admit to myself that I didn't know how to do it alone and I got some help...maybe that's an option for you too.

Oh, and for the record, I also hate going to the gym and having 2 skinny chics running beside me! :laugh:
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I tried Weight Watchers a while back and had some success with it, but the support and encouragement from members was no where near what MFP will give you. Plus, you don't have to pay for it. Win-win, right?

I agree with the others that you are being too hard on yourself. No one who is thin and fabulous got that way naturally. They had to work on it, just as they still do now (whether they admit it or not). Heavy people NEED to be in a gym. Others at the gym who gawk in amazement may think "Oh yeah- she needs to be here for sure", but they always end that with "and its a good thing she's actually getting up off the couch and doing it." Let the haters be haters! Karma will ALWAYS come back in the end.

So... welcome to MFP! My advice is to log EVERYTHING, make time to exercise (no matter what!), keep up with the blog tool, and look at your ticker every. single. day. Every day. Like 938459809840598309485 times a day. When you see the ticker moving, you know you're making progress.

If you need support, just let us know! We'll back you 100% of the time.

Good luck!!
  • raemacleod
    raemacleod Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My best advice to you would be is not to compare yourself to others and take it one day, one minute, or one second at a time! We are all so obsessed with what we should look like and that this person lost 40 lbs in 1 week and all of the other people at the gym are so skinny!! You don't know what their story is, maybe they were once overweight. Just relax, enjoy your baby and your boyfriend and try to be content. Listen to that little voice in the back of your mind that knows when you shouldn't be eating something - and take control. I think that's what happens - we give up control and justify the extra portion or the chocolate or whatever it is that we overindulge in. Don't be so hard on your self. Don't weigh yourself too much if it's a problem (like makes you feel depressed if it doesn't read right) It's just a number. Try not weighing for a month. Eat right. Exercise. Weigh again in one month - maybe it'll be a number you'll want to see!! If not, maybe you'll just feel better. Be kind to yourself. You deserve it!!!:flowerforyou:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I don't have any harsh words but I do have a suggestion from personal experience:

Rather than investing in a whole cook book I really like seeing what's available online. SELF and WOMEN'S HEALTH both usually have "Food Plans" that come with a series of prescribed meals, which I found some success with. I'm not saying they were a cure all, but I followed the one below (not the workout plan- their exercises are hard!) and its about 1500 calories a day. I did 2 cycles of 6 weeks and found it really helped me get in the right mind set for changing my eating habits. I lost about 10 lbs in those 12 weeks. I even modified it (I HAAAAATE tofu. With a passion) and moved around the days I would plan to eat out. It just was really good for me to reset my idea of what a filling meal was and to think about what I was eating and why. It also has a bunch of recipies so I just printed everything out an "made" my own cook book in a binder and picked and chose what worked for me. Many of the meals in there I still reach for now, on my own (BERRY WAFFLEWICHES!!!!)

Anyway, I don't mean to push one thing on you, but this was just so helpful to me starting off before I even found MFP, that I think its worth recommending.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/best-workout-for-your-body-type
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! I was always way too self-concious to go to the gym because everytime I did go, I was the biggest person there! I was also put on antidepressants around this time and I gained about 20lbs. Talk about kicking me while I'm down...that's what it felt like! I was so uncomfortable and ashamed. Then while we were living in California (hubby is military), I decided, I don't care what people think when they see me at the gym. I had gotten so big that I stopped caring. I couldn't hide the fat, so I was forced to deal with it. You can imagine how low my self-esteem got living in California of all places!

So.....for 3 YEARS, I stuck with it. I went to the gym 5 days a week, never less than 2 hours a day. I would be there long after the other people who were there with me had left to go home. I lost a bit of weight, but then it ALL stopped. I just stayed at about 165 (I'm 5'2"). For 2 more years, religiously, I went 5x week, 2hrs/day....for 2 WHOLE YEARS! Without seeing a POUND lost. Talk about demoralizing.

Everyone around me kept asking, why bother, what makes me keep going if I'm not losing anything for all my efforts. Granted, I felt the same way. What I realized was that I kept going because it made me feel better. I learned to accept the fact that I may be fat all my life, but going to the gym & working out made me feel good. There was such a difference when I didn't work out, I felt even more terrible about myself. So....that's what kept me going. Plus, I was stronger and healthier when I was going to the gym.

Now that I joined MFP I have been seeing results like I have NEVER seen before IN MY LIFE. I joined @ the beginning of August and have lost just over 16lbs so far. This community of people has made a huge difference as well. As I'm sure you will see. It also has more tools at your disposal than anything I've ever tried before. I hope you keep your head up, stay focused, and see a change. It may take longer than others, I've been there myself...but it gets better! One last note I'd like to make....I read this from another MFP user who found it in an article (wish I could remember who), it's not word for word but you'd get the gist....

Many people get discouraged when they see a lack or halt of progress....not realizing that hurdle is just a step before the goal line. They feel stuck on the 1-yardline and don't know that if they had just stuck with it a little while longer, they would have broken through that yardline and overcome that barrier to reach their goal....progress was at their fingertips, but they gave up 2 seconds too soon!

I hope you're able to find the support & motivation here with MFP that will help you break through this barrier & achieve your goals! Best of luck to you! (And now there's my long post, ha ha) :flowerforyou:
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I have been exactly where you are right now. But you are taking steps in the right direction! I really like the WW program but since coming to MFP, I much prefer it here. The support is outstanding and I love the food/exercise diaries. I know WW has them too but for whatever unknown reason, this way works much better for me.

You are right about the stares at the gym! However, the previous poster that explained that the people staring have been there before is right as well. You are self conscious about being there. It doesn't mean the people looking at you are passing judgement. :) Keep going! It is what you need to do to be healthier. I have to tell you, part of the reason I've been so successful these last three weeks is because I have been determined to exercise for a minimum of one hour at least six days per week. It has done wonders to jump start the process for me. So don't be discouraged. In a few months time, YOU will be the one looking at a newbie in the gym. :)

Feel free to add me as a friend if you need a few more. We can encourage one another! I'm a bit older than you but my littlest turns two next month. I know what you mean about not wanting to use "I just had a baby" as an excuse! :) Good luck to you on your journey.

~Angela
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    It took me three months to lose 2lbs..but now that my body knows what it's suppose to do, i'm hoping it'll just shed fat like bad skin...but just because i've only lost 2lbs doesn't mean i'm going to give up...i feel great! my chest doesn't feel like it's caving in anymore when i sit on the bike...i can actually carry on a converstation now while doing cardio instead of panting and nodding...my pants are a little loose, and i'm smiling a lot more...and remember...those people in the gym are more focused on themselves than you...i get those snotty looks like "what are you doing here" but clearly there's a reason why i'm here...don't let the little snot bags intimidate you, you're there for a reason...not to be seen, but to make yourself feel better. It took me three years to gain all my weight, it's going to take at least that to lose it. You took 2 big steps, you joined MFP and you joined a gym...watch what you eat and burn some calories...that's all it really takes...good luck! keep us posted! i know it's hard to stay motivated, but that's the key component to losing weight.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Instead of limiting your food choices, you can make use of MFP's recipe function (under the food tab). Ask your BF to tell you what is in whatever he makes and create a recipe for it. MFP will tell you how many calories is in each serving. That way you'll learn how to portion control and it will be sustainable in the long-run, whereas limiting your food choices may backfire when you get bored with sandwiches and chicken. It's about making changes for life. :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard but don't expect results right away. As for your depression you can use working out as a great way to boost your mood. It also helps you sleep better, most people quit sooner because of not seeing results. Their are more results of working out and watching what you eat besides weight loss. You sleep better, you feel better (even when sore), you gain more energy... ect
    Don't focus on the pounds right away it takes your body atleast 6 weeks to get adjusted to a workout routine (make sure you switch it up so your body doesn't become accustomed to the same thing) Set up a workout schedule 3-4 days a week of some butt kicking sweat sessions. Drink your water everyday don't make too drastic of changes that you won't be able to keep them up. I think everyone just needs to write down their food for a day or two just to see what they are typically eating before they go cutting calories. Too many times people cut their calories too low. If on a typical day your eating 3000 calories ( you'd be surprised at how fast calories rack up in a day) and you cut your calories to 2000 a day you would lose weight then after some weight loss you then drop your calories down another 200 (not everyone should eat 1200 calories a day. You can do it but you must remember it takes time. As far as your eating dinner thats great if you can stick to chicken every night but realisticly that will get boring. Each the dinner that was cooked but put it on a smaller plate and only eat 1 plate and not over flow the plate with food either. Its all about portion control/ Calories, exercise, water.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options

Thanks for that link. Those recipes look great!
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    Pesto sauce + fish+ rice= changed my life!

You are completely welcome! I'm glad you like!
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    since coming to MFP, I much prefer it here. The support is outstanding and I love the food/exercise diaries. I know WW has them too but for whatever unknown reason, this way works much better for me.

You knw what I think really helps? This is a little more removed from day to day life, so it's something just for you- closer to a treat than something you have to do! I haven't told anyone I'm trying to lose weight, except my BF who is a constant help, but this site is my own thing. I can come on here and be so enthusiastic in ways I would not be able to (or even really want to) in person, and get that kind of attitude in return. It's nice to have that as a piece of me, and I really think that's what draws me back every day.

Anywho, not a major thing, just a reflective point.

Also not paying for it takes some of the guilt out of the equation, which I think really makes a huge impact.