Breakfast question?

Options
So I have a question I like to eat an hour after I get up, as do most of you I'm sure. I've heard that it's good to do so for the sake of your metabolism among other things. So my question is, I wake up at 5am to see my husband off to work in the morning, I usually get back into bed at about 5:20am and sleep until around 7ish. . . my stomache start's growiling just after getting all comfy back into my warm bed, of course about 5:30, should I be taking this as a sign? This whole "eat within an hour of waking up" rule, does this still apply if I'm waking up at 5 and then laying back down for a while? Should I be eating breakfast by 6am. . . and obviously not laying back down afterward. Or is it ok if I wait and eat after waking up for real for the day around 7am. . . so eating sometime before 8am? Does any of this even really matter? LOL!

Thanks in advance:flowerforyou:

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but I hope you get an answer!
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    My doctor told me to eat protein a half an hour after waking. So pop some protein at 5:30 then go back to bed.
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    Your body is kinda like Santa... it knows when you're sleeping and it knows when you're awake... EAT.

You BP lowers as you sleep and as soon as you get out of bed it spikes and then levels off, triggering a chemical in your brain that tells your stomach: Food Count Down BEGIN!!

EAT.

And since you're up... walk around your block, or hit the gym... :)
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have never heard this and have been around the "diet" block the vast majority of my life. I think what the message is is that you need fuel in the morning to get your day going so don't put off your first meal until 3,4,5 hours after you wake up. When you are hungry (really hungry not just wanting to eat) your body is telling you that it needs fuel, so give it it's fuel.
  • angelsxzist
    angelsxzist Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I didn't know about the "eat within an hour of waking up" rule. I wait until 10:00 or 11:00 to eat breakfast so I can spread the rest of my meals out during my work hours (2 to 11). At work is where I do the most damage when not eating right. Pizza, cookies, chips, etc. So I take my other 2 meals and several [legal] snacks to work. If I ate breakfast at 7, 8, or 9 in the morning I'd have to eat lunch before going to work and that would mean less food for me while I'm at work. That's just me. It's easier for me, right now anyway. I just started my "diet" and my workplace is my downfall.
  • beerwidow
    beerwidow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My answer... don't worry about it.
    If you're hungry and it keeps you awake, then up you go and eat some breakfast.
    If not, then enjoy the extra sleep and eat later. Sleep is important too... :-)
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    Your body is kinda like Santa... it knows when you're sleeping and it knows when you're awake... EAT.

You BP lowers as you sleep and as soon as you get out of bed it spikes and then levels off, triggering a chemical in your brain that tells your stomach: Food Count Down BEGIN!!

EAT.

And since you're up... walk around your block, or hit the gym... :)

The santa thing makes poerfect sense!

Oh I would go to the gym or for a walk. . . trust me, BUT, I have 5 kiddos that are still sleeping at that time, lol and a baby that is going through a growth spurt or something and wakes us up all throughout the night. After fighting us sometimes for 2hrs at bedtime to fall asleep.
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    My answer... don't worry about it.
    If you're hungry and it keeps you awake, then up you go and eat some breakfast.
    If not, then enjoy the extra sleep and eat later. Sleep is important too... :-)

Trust me, I truly VALUE my sleep, and if my 5 kids are still sleeping after I see my husband off to work, darn right I'm gonna go catch as many z's as I can, lol! Good advice, Thanks:flowerforyou: