General question, Feeling completely exhausted.

Options
I wasn't sure where to post this but I was wondering if anyone might have some insight as to what is going on.
Everyday that I have been going to the gym about an hour or two before I feel completely exhausted like I can't function and have to force myself to the gym. Is this psychological? or am feeling a crush during the day for some reason?
I'm on the night shift so by the time my workout comes around I've had plenty of sleep and have not done much for the day, So I don't understand why I am alert for hours until around 7pm?

Thanks for any insight maybe it's in my head! my food diary is open as well if that helps.

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but I can empathise on the night shift's. I go to the gym straight from work (don't know your situation. May not be convenient). I find that it helps me get a really good sleep after. There's not a cat's chance in hell I could get up & drag myself there before a shift or I'd crash after. Hope you get it sorted out :flowerforyou:
  • karia17
    karia17 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but I can empathise on the night shift's. I go to the gym straight from work (don't know your situation. May not be convenient). I find that it helps me get a really good sleep after. There's not a cat's chance in hell I could get up & drag myself there before a shift or I'd crash after. Hope you get it sorted out :flowerforyou:

Thanks and yeah I usually work out before I go because it gives me energy after.
    but for some reason also beforehand I feel exhausted to the point of not being very alert..
    I'm trying to eat a few more calories before going into the gym to see if that helps
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Try to up protein before you hit the gym it might help. Oh, heads up that your diary isn't open so couldn't have a neb.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open.

ETA: OP, how much are you eating?
  • chio_04
    chio_04 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Check your iron level. I was recently always tired, then I found out I had a slight case of iron-deficiency anaemia. Or try changing your perspective on exercise, instead of viewing it as a chore, approach it as a fun thing you want to do. Good luck!
  • karia17
    Options
    Try to up protein before you hit the gym it might help. Oh, heads up that your diary isn't open so couldn't have a neb.
    Sorry about that! I had it as friend's only!
    changed it.
  • karia17
    Options
    Your diary isn't open.

Calorie wise? Around 1,300 on days I'm not working out and 1,500 on days I am.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open.

Calorie wise? Around 1,300 on days I'm not working out and 1,500 on days I am.
    You're 19. You need to fuel yourself. Eat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd say you're under eating for your activity level. That will lead to fatigue.
  • elmanre
    Options
    that happened to me, I had to stop from dieting like 1 month to feel better, if you feel exhausted you can try to increase a little the carbs, see if that helps.
    That happened to me when i got into a plateu... How much time have you been exercising?
  • karia17
    Options
    that happened to me, I had to stop from dieting like 1 month to feel better, if you feel exhausted you can try to increase a little the carbs, see if that helps.
    That happened to me when i got into a plateu... How much time have you been exercising?

Not that long only about 5 weeks consistently and on the low end of 2-4x weekly.
  • cateyedkp
    cateyedkp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I experienced something very similar a few weeks after starting, except I was totally lethargic after my workouts. I kept incrementally upping my calories, which helped a little. 2 weeks ago I switched to the TDEE method and I love it.

After plugging in my lifestyle/activity level (including my average 5 workouts per week) I'm now eating 1750 every day, regardless of whether I exercise or not. I'm stressing less about food, I'm not feeling deprived or hungry, and my energy has majorly bounced back. Looking back at my net calories the past 2 weeks, I've maintained an average of a 500 calorie/day deficit (should keep losing 1 lb/week) and I feel so much better. Maybe try it out and see if you feel better?
  • Aim4skinnyjeans
    Aim4skinnyjeans Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When was your last physical with your primary doctor? You may wanna have some labs drawn to check your thyroid, Vit D, and whatever else your doc thinks. Just saying, I had similar symptoms and found out I have hypothyroid. Hopefully, it's not the same for you. Always good to check these things out with your doctor too. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • michellechawner
    Options
    My exhaustion was medical based.

I also used to do night shifts, and it's actually what triggered a lot of my medical problems, which got me to see a doctor and finding out what they were.

I suffer from chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, and chronic stress reaction syndrome. I was sleeping upwards of 14 hours a day, in a ton of pain, and was unable to function, couldn't even drive, go to the store, etc. Change in jobs, new medications, and yoga is what helped me get out of it. This went on and off for 6 years before being diagnosed.

Your body knows best, but I would start with some blood tests if you can. I have elevated ANA titer tests, which can be signs of lupus, although I tested negative for lupus, and was diagnosed with Fibro by a leader in the community on Fibro research and diagnosis'.

Best of luck!

ETA: yes, eat more. I was exhausted after being on 1200 a day, finally felt great and was losing even more on 1400 a day. Now i'm in maintenance at 1650-1700 a day (not including exercise)