NonGMO Whey Protein not costing out the *kitten*

Options
2»

Replies

• Jaided35
    Options
    I buy mine at the drug store when it goes on sale. It's usually $15 to $ on sale. Not on sale is like $39. It's called BodyLogix. You should check out the nutrition stores where you live. Sometimes they have stuff on sale and offer discount cards. My brother bought a large container for $19 (without his discount and not on sale it would have been $60). Walmart, Meijer etc sometimes has cheaper stuff.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The title was "NonGMO". GMO = Genetically Modified Organism. Hormones and antibiotics do not genetically modify the cow.

Any dairy products you consume - unless you specifically source dairy that does not use hormones and antibiotics - is going to potentially contain traces amounts of these compounds in the milk. Or in the meat, if you eat beef.

Most soy (in the USA at least) IS GMO. You can thank Monsanto for that one.

Thing about protein powder is it is by definition a highly processed food. The protein is isolated from the source (milk, soy, eggs, whatever) and dried down. In other words, it is taken away from the hormones, antibiotics, other proteins (like casein) etc. If you get an isolate, it is further purified away from other stuff, and you get more protein per serving. Hydrolysates are even more processed to break the long proteins down to smaller parts.

Thing is, if if you have a pure protein powder, it is pretty much going to taste like crap. They have to add stuff back to it to make it palatable, as well as making sure it will dissolve easily, have a good shelf life etc. Bottom line is - if you are going to have a powder, it is going to have some things added. You are just going to have to read the labels and see what is acceptable to you. And maybe figure out that a little bit of added lecithin to help it resuspend in your blender bottle isn't going to kill you. Or, eat real food.

Richard, thank you so much for your response. It makes so much sense to me now and I appreciate you explaining it in terms I could understand. Have a great day.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Been drinkin protein powder since 1991..........I've died 3 times true story
  • Wrreck
    Wrreck Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

"Not sure if serious? Whey protein is from milk --- and I'm pretty certain we don't have genetically modified cows, so all whey is going to be non-GMO.

And, like breakfast cereal, whey is sold by weight, not volume. So yeah, it settles in the package. It's still cheaper per scoop than a steak (though not as tasty).
    Really? Even the cows treated with growth hormones or antibiotics?"

That would be recombinant bovine somatotropin (rBST), recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH), or artificial growth hormone that you are trying to avoid then.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    So you want a whey protein but nothing artificial or having chemicals.....................................yet whey protein is a processed product (regardless of brand) and when through a chemical extracting process to do it.
    Just to mention that the majority of all protein powders are manufactured by a 3rd party manufacturer with a very high chance that their raw materials are coming from out of the US (usually China) and regulations on the materials are closely watched. So even the "pure" and "clean" protein powders would more than likely have traces of other chemicals that shouldn't be there in the first place.
    If you fear artificial chemicals and additives, you're best suited to just eat whole food protein.
    From clinical studies, the chemicals you fear don't really pose any threat to health if used in moderation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Buy your own cow, churn some cream then hit it up in the food processor to separate the butter and whey :)

Or just buy the cheap stuff and don't worry about it.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition has a Natural Whey. Doesn't say nonGMO but doesn't have artificial colors, flavors or sweetners. Thank you all for the responses.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition has a Natural Whey. Doesn't say nonGMO but doesn't have artificial colors, flavors or sweetners. Thank you all for the responses.

I get what you're saying -- you just want the best quality protein powder you can get without all the fillers. I use NOW whey protein isolate, unflavored. I put it in shakes usually with spinach or kale, a banana, blueberries, almond milk, and maybe some stevia for sweetness if you need it. But I've also put it in pudding or coffee. :) It can be pricey when bought in small amounts, but I usually order in bulk on Amazon. :bigsmile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Ah, marketing. How I love you.

Usksz0Il.jpg

Dollar to donuts you do not need to worry about GMO in whey... Or any of that other stuff.
    Uses stevia a "natural" sweetener.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I get what you're saying -- you just want the best quality protein powder you can get without all the fillers. I use NOW whey protein isolate, unflavored. I put it in shakes usually with spinach or kale, a banana, blueberries, almond milk, and maybe some stevia for sweetness if you need it. But I've also put it in pudding or coffee. :) It can be pricey when bought in small amounts, but I usually order in bulk on Amazon. :bigsmile:

BS.

ano-402_2z.jpg

It has gum and sugars added... Not that it matters.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

BS.

ano-402_2z.jpg

It has gum and sugars added... Not that it matters.

Are you replying to me? If so, I can't see the label as it is HUGE. I wasn't saying mine was perfect or whatever, just that I see what they were trying to say. They want a product that's mostly just the protein without as much of the other stuff as possible but on a budget.
  • michybeans
    Options
    I am new to whey protein powder, but I love this one: http://well.ca/products/kaizen-naturals-100-new-zealand_33738.html

Kaizen Dark Chocolate... tastes pretty good with milk, or water, yogurt and some berries!