Exercise programs calories are too low

Options
2»

Replies

• courtneyprudhomme
    Options

If people follow them being the key words.

I don't think they're designed well. I don't think they're designed for compliance and sustainability.

I agree.. i don't think 1200 or even 1600 are intakes ppl could maintain long term.. I wish that they provided more realistic plans.. and were more reflective of the burn.. I believe that it is important to know your burn so you can make sure (in my case) that you are eating enough.. of course there are a million ppl and a million ways that ppl calculate and keep track.. I just dont think that the BB plans are realistic for the general public.

Are we talking about same programs? I just used the calculator below and it suggest that I eat 2850 to maintain my weight. It's pretty close to what actually should eat to maintain (which is 3000 calories). Also, keep in mind you can't blame a company for a person's inability to follow a program. Each of the programs provide a simple formula to calculate calories to lose weight. Now if you want to gain, you slowly increase your calories until you stop losing.

Using a HRM is only another way of calculating exercise calories but it does come with inaccuracy. Most HRM's are only 80% accurate and only work during cardio type workouts. On top of that it doesn't account for daily active. So either way, you are still trying to work out how many calories you actually burn in a day. This is why I suggested don't even bother buying a HRM, using an online calculator, try it for 1-2 months and back into your TDEE. Like I said, it doesn't matter how much you burn if you know you average 1 lb a week. The only time it will vary is if you change your routine.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/nutrition-tools/caloric-needs

IN the end, if you don't follow it or if it doesn't work, you just change routines. In the end, weight loss and maintenance is no about the workout, it's about the calories. Teh workout determines how much you can eat.

the 1200 or 1600 is in the paperwork that came with the program - it's not a calculator from the BB website..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    May I ask which program gave you 1200 calories because that is ridiculous. Also, whats the difference between the 1200 or 1600 numbers?
  • sawshuh
    sawshuh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Focus T25 does. It has this basic point system quiz where if you have 3 points, you eat 1200 a day, and 4 points, 1600.

http://rippedclub.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/FOCUS-T25-4-STEP-CALORIE-QUIZ.png
  • amb918x
    amb918x Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there, first off, don't trust your calorie burn on a heart rate monitor. They are a good benchmark to know if you are burning MORE or LESS than your last workout but they are by no means completely accurate. I mean, go one monitor to the next, and you'll see a 200 calorie difference per hour in a given intense workout (like Insanity). That said, unless you are a very well conditioned athlete, don't pick your intake daily based on your burn. As it was mentioned above, Beachbody's nutrition guides reflect the TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). They are based on an average expenditure over the course of the week too. If you want to start fueling for your workout, you'll have to worry about your macronutrient ratios each day as well. The best and most sustainable way to just see results is to work on an average. Consider it this way, your body doesn't magically reset every day. If you consumed 2500 on Monday and 1500 on Tuesday, you're averaging 2000 for both days. Obviously it's more complicated than that since there are a number of factors to consider but that's the basic gist. If you know you'll be going HARD one day by doubling up, add a couple hundred extra calories between the day before and the day of and you'll have that extra fuel in your body (note carb loading that a lot of athletes use).

Anywayyyy 1600 is certainly sustainable on the long term as is 1200 (although 1200 is quite low). It depends ENTIRELY on your body composition and daily needs. If you are active in addition to the workouts, eat more. If you are sedentary but only move when you workout, eat less. I'm not sure where you saw P90X as 1600 or under by the way. P90X and P90X2 are 1800, 2400, and 3000. It should also be noted that it has been stated in the nutrition guides (not all but some, AND on the website) that ALL nutrition guides are starting points/guidelines. They are not a strict manifesto. Beachbody acknowledges that we are all different. We all process food differently, our bodies are different, and we have different goals. The nutrition guides give you choices on how to build your lifestyle, not restricting "diets." Try to see it that way and it will make more sense. If you feel like the T25 numbers are too low, try the harris-benedict equation to see how that works for you. Use that number--if you're not getting results, try dropping by small increments like 100-200 calories a day until you start losing 1+ lbs a week.

Finally in response to them not being made for the general public or crafted for compliance (or however it was put), I strongly disagree. They all work and do what they're supposed to do. Everyone that has had success with them is a member of the general public. I've been successfully living the lifestyle introduced to me by Beachbody a long time ago. After a while, I found the nutritional approach that works best for me for this type of workout or that and I monitor myself. I learned a LOT from their guides and programs first before taking it into my own hands though since, if that worked, I wouldn't have needed their guidance in the first lace.

You're right that most people don't follow the guidelines but also notice that most people that start the programs take a VERY long time to see the results they want. BB cares a LOT about their customers and spends an exhaustive amount of time and energy (both through corporate and the coaches dedicated to actually helping people, not just making a quick buck) to ensuring long term success.

Phew, sorry about the LONG post, so much to talk about here though!
  • holieghloren
    holieghloren Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have friends that burn about 550-650 in 1 session at 5'7 and 120-130 lbs. 2 girls I know who are doing it
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Delete. answered in a later post.