Chicken salad under 400 calories?

Options
My chicken salad was 636 calories and only contained 8 chicken nuggets cut up, lettuce and three tablespoons of thousand island dressing.
I would like a healthier, lower calorie , more veges included chicken salad under 400 calories if you have any.

Replies

• PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Why would you put chicken nuggets in a chicken salad??
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Why would you put chicken nuggets in a chicken salad??

^This!

Chicken Breast Strips - Tyson Grilled & Ready - Fully Cooked, 3 oz. (84 g.) 100
    Salad Dressing - Kraft Raspberry Vinaigrette, 2 Tbsp (15 ml.) 60
    Great Value - Romaine Salad Mix, 3 cups 15
    Ocean Spray - Craisins Sweetened Dried Cranberries, 2 Tbsp. 48
    Dry Roasted Almonds - Emerald 100 Calorie Pack, 1 pkg. 100

323 Calories

Tyson also makes a Southwest style grilled chicken ....nice with Hidden Valley Chipolte Ranch dressing. Grill some peppers & add a few tortilla chips, and a sprinkle of cheese
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself really, Chicken and loads of salad veggies.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My chicken salad was 636 calories and only contained 8 chicken nuggets cut up, lettuce and three tablespoons of thousand island dressing.
    I would like a healthier, lower calorie , more veges included chicken salad under 400 calories if you have any.

Use cooked cubed skinless chicken breast instead of nuggets. Add chopped onion, celery, radish, carrot and cucumber (or whatever veggies you like and have on hand), use a vinaigrette dressing. Put a little mayo in the dressing if you like it creamy, or a little mustard. Or both. Whatever you like.

That should about cut the calories in half (also works well with canned tuna)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I like using the big cans of Great Value (walmart brand) chicken. Mix that with a couple of Tbsp of Miracle Whip light and maybe a squirt of Ken's lite Ceasar dressing for a little extra zing. It makes 4 good sized servings and they're only 130-140 calories each.

Another convenience option, if you don't want to cook up your own chicken breast, is to get a rotisserie chicken from the deli and pick all the meat off and chop it up. Makes a wonderful chicken salad with the mix of white and dark meat.
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I will usually buy a rotisserie chicken during the weekend and carve up the white meat to use in salads or wraps as lunch items throughout the week. It's handy to just have it ready to go and it's versatile to use in salads/rice/eggs or sandwiches.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    you do not need 3 tbsp of thousand island dressing. I would at least stop at 2, which is a serving.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    Chicken breast/thighs + all the veggies and greens you can think of+balsamic vinegar for salad dressing.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I like chicken breast or thigh with chopped celery and green apple, and just enough real mayo to moisten it. You can also use 0% Greek yogurt mixed with seasonings in place of the mayo.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast with plain Greek yogurt and a bit of mustard. Delicious.
  • Lld320
    Options
    Salads can have a ton of calories if you have a high calorie dressing and breaded chicken. But at least you know now and that is why you are here, to make yourself aware.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I used:

6oz leftover beer can chicken without the skin
    2T regular mayonnaise
    15 red grapes cut in half
    2T pecan pieces

Made six small servings, 110 calories each.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Here are 11 (though I didn't verify that they're all under 400 cals)...

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/healthy-chicken-salad-recipes-00412000070988/