How to lose weight without burning myself out

Options
Hi everyone, my names Lauren I'm fairly new here :) hopefully you can give me a little advice.

I'm 5''8, I weigh 177lb, I've lost 14lb since the beginning of June. I'm really really busy working at a nursery full time and an extra cleaning job at the other end of town as well as learning to drive and attending college. I only get around 5mins exercise time at home a day where I have no real equipment besides some small weights and a mat. I get to the gym one night a week and I spend 45mins in the gym on the bike, cross trainer or rower followed by an hour zumba and an hour of pilates. Ideally I would spread these workouts out but I have no other nights free.

Primarily I want to lose weight, but I don't want to lose any muscle in the meantime. I'd like to lose another 17lb. I've been in a calorie deficit most days eating around 1000ckal. What exercise do you think would be the most effective during my 5 min bursts during the week? :tongue:

Replies

• init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Any exercise that you add to a caloric intake of 1000 kcals would probably put you at the same caloric intake as exercise bulimics. Try eating more and then work in exercise.
  • LozzaCozza93
    Options
    So I should do some exercise then eat a banana or something extra? I don't starve or even get hungry I eat 3 meals, several snacks and even dessert. Guess I just need more veg volume. Seems alien to me eating when I'm not hungry and on a diet! Thanks :-)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You should be eating above 1200 calories, for starters. That is the minimum recommended amount for a woman. With your height and amount you want to lose, you should probably be eating even more than that.

Try using http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to figure out how much you should be eating.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Listen to trogalicious. Definitely doesn't sound like you're eating enough not to be losing some muscle. It's hard to get much in 5 minutes. You can try a quick jog (in place if you just want to be at home) or jumping jacks if you want cardio (you can probably google videos/YouTube for 5 minute workouts [I think there actually is a 6 minute workout program]. If you want more strength to tone, maybe just some reps of pushups, situps, plank, lunges, tricep dips using a chair...little things you can do without any equipment. Good luck. Sounds like you're pretty busy and get some calorie burn with your work so I'm sure that helps too.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I went to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and put my info in. No way in hell am I gonna eat 1650 calories. I mean come on I am only 5'1" and weigh 154. I would gain eating that much.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I went to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and put my info in. No way in hell am I gonna eat 1650 calories. I mean come on I am only 5'1" and weigh 154. I would gain eating that much.

I'm 5'2", 41 years old and weight 134. I'm eating MORE than that, and I'm still losing.
  • Ninkyou
    Options

I'm 5'2 and I'm eating about 1800-2000 calories. Calories are not something to be afraid of.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options
    Based on what you have said about your lifestyle you should be eating way more that 1000 calories a day. You would fall into the very active category. Eating the way you are, will result in burnout, health issues, and a huge loss of muscle mass. In short, change your setting to something that is more in keeping with your lifestyle, and eat your calories.
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'1 and eating that many calories and I'm still losing.
    You reach a point where you have too much of a deficit to maintain your lbm.

Eat more. Quite frankly there was a time when you ate more to get however many pounds overweight.. I mean. I know I didn't get fat by drinking water and eating broccoli.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    but how many calories are you guys burning a day on average? I usually burn 200-350 a day at least 6 days a week.
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    but how many calories are you guys burning a day on average? I usually burn 200-350 a day at least 6 days a week.
    Depends on the day and what I'm doing. Anywhere from 200-800. I do Kettlebells 2x a week, I hike 4x a week and I walk 3.5 miles 1x a week.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    Options

about the same burn. I strength train 3 times per week (30 minutes), run 3 times per week (45 minutes), and usually walk 3 times per week (about 45-60 min). I do no other exercise, and pretty much sit on my *kitten* as much as I can.
  • LozzaCozza93
    Options
    Ill try to eat more then. I've done the calculation and it said I should be eating 1600, based on my new weight. My fitness pal said 1450 based on my start weight. Three meals a day, dessert on a night and snacks through the day though :-S today is vodka night anyway ill get some calories from that, nutritious ;-) Happy Friday everyone.
  • LozzaCozza93
    Options
    I don't wanna lose any of my boobies either but I guess its inevitable.
  • LozzaCozza93
    Options
    I didn't know walks counted I walk for about half an hour to 45min a day to and from bus stops too.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    Options
    I didn't know walks counted I walk for about half an hour to 45min a day to and from bus stops too.

It counts. It was all I could manage at first, I just had no fitness at all. I'm glad that walking got me feeling like I could try other things as well.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Best way to not burn out is to take it slow.... give yourself only a little calorie deficit - ie have only slightly less calories than your body needs. Use TDEE-10 to 20% or set MFP to a 0.5lb a week loss.

Good luck! :smile: