broken wrist

Options
Hello! I broke my wrist a few weeks ago, I had surgery and cannot currently use my left hand at all. It will be weeks, possibly months before I regain range of motion and ability to lift anything substantial using my hand. I'm also in this horrible splint that makes it to where I can't really do anything high-impact due to discomfort. I can't even really use the hand to help balance like on an elliptical. I'm looking for ideas on what to do in the meantime. I had a baby 3 months ago and I need to lose baby weight. I have used the recumbent bike at the gym, but I don't feel like I get much from it. Ideas, friends healing from injuries, support all will be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I have read that there are 2 conditions which require the most calories for a human body to support. One is breast feeding. The other is mending broken bones/recovering from surgery. As each of these 2 activities is clearly more important at the moment than losing baby fat, I would suggest you take care of them first and then come back to the baby fat issue a little later. Or at least, consult with your doctor or with a registered dietician (not a "nutritionist").

Having said that, go ahead and use the recumbent bike to keep your cardio fitness up, but worry about the baby fat at a later date.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    ^^ What Hadabetter said.

You have a two month old baby and a broken wrist, post surgery.

Especially if you are breastfeeding, you should NOT be on any type of calorie restriction right now. 20 pounds will drop off naturally over time, and after life gets back on track for you.

I agree to keep up your strength and nutrition right now.
  • candajoy
    candajoy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was cutting calories prior to the injury, but I am not now. I do, however, want to strengthen and build back up cardio. I don't want to be horribly set back and lose too much muscle. I just don't feel like I get much from the bike.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    We are almost in the same boat. I fell a month ago and dislocated my left shoulder and have a small fracture at top which has left me in a sling that had to stay on 24/7 right now. Just got the go ahead to start PT last Friday so now it can come off for short periods of time.

All I can do is work out my right arm with weights to kept muscle tone. I do partial stretches and walk every day. I don't feel like I am getting much from such restricted exercise but, like me...just do what you can to maintain and you should be fine. Bike is better then nothing.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges (many variations), heel raises, wall sits, sit ups...if you need to balance, use your other hand on a chair or counter. I always say no more than a finger should be touching because you don't want your hand doing the work. Do any of these exercises fast enough and you will get a good cardio workout.