trying not to be upset about weight gain.

Options
Im trying to stay motivated even though I gained 3 pounds this week....I did however, lose 1.5 inches around my waist which is a plus. Ive been working out daily and keeping my calories right where they need to be and never go over my 1100 for the day....just need some motivating thoughts...thanks.

Replies

• aehenson
    Options
    You are the only one seeing the number but EVERYBODY is seeing the inches disappear! Keep it up.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    If you are working out daily, then that weight is ALL muscle, muscle, muscle!! If you are seeing inches disappear, you are on the RIGHT TRACK :) you should be proud!
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    I HATE that. It is SO demoralizing to work so hard and to be disappointed by the scale.

Try to focus on the inches lost. That is a HUGE accomplishment. Way to go!!! Keep up the hard work and you will succeed.

However, I'm also wondering if maybe 1100 calories/ day is too few - especially if you're working out daily. I wonder if you'd have better luck with weight loss if you increased your calories to at least 1200. I know it seems counter-intuitive but sometimes you need calories to burn calories.

Best of luck to you!
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    I think you might need to eat more calories. If you are working out and eating only 1100 calories a day then your body will more than likely hold onto those calories. I know it's hard for some people to eat back exercise calories but there's a reason MFP puts them in.
  • mable10
    mable10 Posts: 39
    Options
    you probably are gaining muscle mass since you've lost inches. don't get down about it but keep what you are doing!
  • skinnysims
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words!....I'll definitly try the 1200 calories this next week. Its just sooo frustrating. I lost 100 pounds on weight watchers in 2006 and this is basically the same, and it seems so much harder now.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Do not sweat "3 pounds gained". You more than likely didn't gain that much really. That'd be 3500 x 3 = 10,500 calories _excess_ you'd eaten!! No way that is the case, my friend. Focus on the inches lost and other non-scale related measurements.
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    I try not to pay attention to the scale too (although it is frustrating to see the number go up)...but, YOU LOST 1.5 INCHES!! That means something good is happening. Even though the scale went up your size went down!!!

Keep pushing through and you will start to see the scale go DOWN! :)
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words!....I'll definitly try the 1200 calories this next week. Its just sooo frustrating. I lost 100 pounds on weight watchers in 2006 and this is basically the same, and it seems so much harder now.

The last few pounds are always the hardest. Make sure you are eating quality food and I do urge you to eat at least those 1200 calories. Your body wants to hold on to what fat it has left, so don't let it start cannibalizing your muscle because you aren't eating enough.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yeah i think that you should eat more too...1200 is usually bare minimum, and if you're working out that much, your body needs more fuel...i gained 5lbs when i started working out, i was devistated...but once my body realized what i was doing to it, it lost the 5lbs plus 2 more...drink tons of water during the day and watch when you have PMS, that's a major cause of water retention and weight gain, you'll lose all that when you're done menstruating.
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I would be super excited about losing the inches! Congrats!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are working out daily, then that weight is ALL muscle, muscle, muscle!! If you are seeing inches disappear, you are on the RIGHT TRACK :) you should be proud!

It would take weeks if not months to gain 3 pounds of muscle, and would be next to imposible on 1100 cals/day. I'm guessing water weight. you may also want to be careful eating only 1100 cals, it is difficult to get the required nutrition on a diet of less than 1200 cals/day
  • calthine
    calthine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is why you measure as well as weigh :)