how long does it take..

Options
I have been working out hard and eating good for 3 months now and haven't lost a pound! I know I have gained a little muscle but it doesn't show and I have a lot of fat to lose. How long did it take everyone for the weight to start coming off?

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It will be hard to offer any solid advice/opinions without seeing your food diary. Set it to public and you'll get some more insight.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Did you take a before picture to compare yourself to? What about measurements?

Your body can change drastically without moving the scale.
    Sometimes the changes happen so slowly that, because you see yourself every day, you won't notice them.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    No way to comment without looking at your diary. Also are you measuring and weighing your portions. No way to keep accurate track unless you control your portions. I immediately saw results when I logged my intake accurately.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Eating "good" doesn't mean you are eating at a calorie deficit. You must eat less than you burn to lose weight.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would also take measurements. If the weight is not coming off then maybe it's coming off in inches...Or you're miscalculating your cal intake or energy burned.
  • shauna9127
    shauna9127 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What I am trying to ask is how long did it take you to start dropping pounds? one week? a month?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What I am trying to ask is how long did it take you to start dropping pounds? one week? a month?

I saw results right away, but I also had 50 pounds to lose and weight drops off more easily if you're obese.

However, if it's been 3 months without a loss it sounds like you need to reevaluate your plan. You definitely should have seen something by now if you're in a calorie deficit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I didn't even get on the scale the first few weeks after I decided I wanted to get more fit, but once I started logging my food and exercising regularly, I lost on average a pound a week.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I saw weight loss on the scale right away but I'm really heavy so from what I've heard it's easier at first for super heavy people drop quickly. As for looking slimmer it took me 30lbs.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Like many of the others who have posted, I had (and still have) a lot to lose so it dropped off quickly.

However I did NOT see a huge loss right in the beginning like many MFP'ers do. Mine was a pound or two the first couple of weeks.

I did the math just now and I've been on MFP for 26 weeks and lost 43 lb so far...I'm set to 1.5 lb per week and that means I have lost 1.6 lb per week. Pretty cool!!!

I'd think even if you're at a healthy weight you would see some change after 3 months. Even if it's just inches, or going from 126 to 123.8 or something. Good luck to you, it looks like you've had a lot of good tips in this thread already.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It really matters what you're asking. If you want to know how long it took to see results, that varies on each individual. Like for me, I saw results within the first few days... but I had plenty to lose to start with.

If you want us to maybe help you figure out why you've seen no change in three months, then open your diary.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    you should have lost 25 pounds right away.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    It takes as long as it takes. If you haven't lost ANYTHING in 3 months, however, you're probably eating too many calories. All of this is guessing though since your diary is private
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't have all that much to lose and I dropped about 7 pounds the first week. Obviously most of that was water, but If you don't see some sort of shift the first week, it's definitely worth taking a closer look at daily calories in and out.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    It really matters what you're asking. If you want to know how long it took to see results, that varies on each individual. Like for me, I saw results within the first few days... but I had plenty to lose to start with.

If you want us to maybe help you figure out why you've seen no change in three months, then open your diary.

this.

right away for me...weeks for some...

are you tracking EVERYTHING?

deficit, yo...deficit.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Like the others, i saw results right away. I also started logging everything the first day. I thought i was eating healthy and maybe i was - but way too many calories. You have to eat at a deficit to lose. I also exercised a lot so that i could eat back some of those calories to get over the 1200 allotment. Are you logging? You have been doing this long enough that you should be losing if you are eating at a deficit. Best of luck - you can do it!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 pounds the first day. If you haven't been restricting calories up to this point, then lowering your calories will result in pretty immediate weight loss. Of course the first few pounds are mostly water weight, but if you do not lose ANY weight when you first start, then you are not eating at a deficit.
  • eveyyyy
    Options
    uh. don't fall for marketing tricks. just because a food says "fat-free, sugar-free", etc on the label doesnt mean its healthy, its full of artifical flavoring and chemicals to "replace" the sugar with. eat NATURAL foods that have lots of protein like salmon or chicken breast. when you buy food, look at the nutrition facts AND the ingredients too! if its filled with lots of chemical scientific-y names then its not healthy. THIS IS STUFF I LEARNED FROM PYSCHETRUTH'S channel on youtube btw. I had some experience with this. I used to eat processed turkey everyday and didn't lose a pound. I stopped eating processed turkey and switched it to cooking chicken breast with evoo and i lost some pounds