HRM in the pool!

Options
Anyone have Polar FT4 HRM? I want to know if anyone has had any luck using it in the pool!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You have to make sure the chest strap is really tight and don't push any buttons while the watch is underwater.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Before getting to the hows and wherefores....why do you want to do this?
  • kylieannfran
    kylieannfran Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm doing an aqua spin class tonight!
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I have a sigma HRM which is slightly lower quality...I wear my strap in the pool to do sprints and it works well.
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    I use the same HRM to swim a few times a week. It works perfectly for laps and aquacise. Have fun!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Not following. You don't need an HRM to do the class.

If you're looking for it to give you an accurate calorie burn, sorry, that's unlikely to happen.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There are some issues with using the Polar (and maybe other brand) HRMs in a pool due to chlorine content messing with the signal. As others said, make sure the strap is snug and don't press any buttons. Worth a try!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I've used mine in the pool and it seems to work. It is hard to know how accurate it is though as water can interfere with the transmission.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this! I love my Polar Ft4 but have been worried to use it swimming! Polar have such good reviews, I trust it's accuracy- just didn't wanna trash it by taking it in the pool!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Not following. You don't need an HRM to do the class.

If you're looking for it to give you an accurate calorie burn, sorry, that's unlikely to happen.

Why is that???
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump -- this is something I've wondered about for a while. I'd like to get an HRM, but I do a lot of swimming as one of my main forms of cardio and if I can't use it there I'm hesitant to make the investment.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 and used it in the pool all summer and I never had a problem with it. I just rinsed the transmitter and strap really well after I was done.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Bump -- this is something I've wondered about for a while. I'd like to get an HRM, but I do a lot of swimming as one of my main forms of cardio and if I can't use it there I'm hesitant to make the investment.

I have been using my Polar FT60 (well my second one, wore one out lol) in the pool for the past 4 years. I used it when I was in the therapy pool at 560 lbs. walking laps and doing resistances training and as the weight came off I began swimming laps in the big pool and also used my hrm in there too. When swimming laps I did learn that you need to make sure the chest strap is tighter to make better contact with your skin, I am a firm believer in the electrode cream called Buh Bump.. I have enough common sense to know that a HRM is nothing more than an estimate of your calories burned but for me anyway it gives you a better idea than machines and punching a few numbers into a exercise calculator...... Best of Luck
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm approaching an important weight milestone (and my original long-term goal, though I'm now going to go at least 10 pounds further, maybe more), so I've just ordered myself a Polar FT4 as my reward (along with some goop to keep it stuck to my chest while swimming).