Lower your cholesterol with the best oatmeal hack ever!! :)

Options
I wanted to eat more oatmeal to lower my cholesterol, but just 1/4th of the way through my morning bowl on day 2 and the sweet was too much...

So for lunch, I made it savory, like risotto! And it totally works! :)

Today's lunch:
+ Oatmeal prepared in chicken broth
+ Add Onions, mushrooms, garlic, parmesean cheese
+ Season with fresh basil, rosemary, salt + pepper

Soooo good! There's a tiny mind game here for me of expecting oatmeal to taste sweet, and risotto to look more fine, but the taste is so good that I think I'll get used to this quickly. Savory oatmeal all the way!

Replies

• heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bonus: this oatmeal stuff is ridiculously filling. I'm betting this will turn out to be good on calories, too. Especially with a strong/sharp cheese, this is absolutely comparable calorie-wise to oatmeal sweetened with sugar/honey/milk, and definitely more nutrition with the veggies!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I am somewhat intrigued by this. I have never considered a savory oatmeal. I'm a sucker for anything with onions, so I will probably try it.
  • Fisherdh13
    Fisherdh13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I will try it, too. Thanks for sharing!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I know what I'm making for dinner!!!
  • Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Favorite way to eat Oatmeal now is in a shake. 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup milk, 1 banana and sometimes an apple. Put it all in a Magic Bullet cup and blend. Instant oatmeal shake and no heat required. Taste great too. Last night I did 1 cup of oats for a bigger dinner.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Ooh, one of my MFP friends suggested barley for just as much fiber and a different grain - definitely trying this next!
  • charcharhaver
    Options
    Great tips!

I'm a sweet breakfast fan, but nor too sweet. I like plain oatmeal with some fruit and nuts (and maybe maybe maybe a tsp honey if I'm in the mood for something sweeter... like once a week!) but the savory approach sound delicious too.

I've actually seen restaurants make "risotto" with all sorts of grains. Maybe I'll try oatmeal or barley risotto (minus a good deal of cheese) for dinner some night!