How to stop intense nighttime hunger?

Options
So all day I'm not hungry. I do my best not to skip meals and I eat moderate amounts. But at night after i ate dinner i get hungry again in about thirty minutes or so and no matter how much food i eat I can't seem to get satisfied. So most nights I end up eating like 3 or more times. Does anyone know how to stop this because it's ruining all my hard work. :(

Replies

• zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i think its more about will power.

drink water and you will feel full.

train yourself not to eat and you wont get hungry anymore.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    i think its more about will power.

drink water and you will feel full.

train yourself not to eat and you wont get hungry anymore.
    That and going to bed earlier than normal is what I do when overcome with late hunger.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    If you are less hungry in the day, then space your meals out and save your calories out to allow for later eating. Make sure you are getting enough protein with dinner and through out the day to keep fuller. I don't believe it matters when you eat, as long as you are keeping to your calorie goal.
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This may not be the best solution, but I found that if I drink coffee or green tea after dinner, it curbs any hunger pangs that may hit. I also try to keep busy. I sometimes eat a salad without dressing after dinner. Zero calories, yet it's still food. Or sucking on ice cubes might help. I made fresh raspberry and blueberry puree and froze it in an ice cube tray. If I MUST eat something before bed, these are low calorie and pretty satisfying to me. I also snack on dried Korean style seaweed too, which is low calorie. Or I eat my Adora dark chocolate calcium medallion. You could also bite your nails or chew gum lol. But really, warm drinks really work for me.
  • razors_girl23
    razors_girl23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Are you eating breakfast and morning tea? I used to suffer from the same thing before my nutritionist reprimanded me about the fact that I wasn't eating either. Since I started eating both those meals, I never get those intense cravings like I used to.
  • lucylpd
    Options
    Have some decaf tea/coffee or green tea or a small snack, like fruit. Maybe its just boredom rather than actual hunger?
  • RenshiG
    RenshiG Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This may not be the best solution, but I found that if I drink coffee or green tea after dinner, it curbs any hunger pangs that may hit. I also try to keep busy. I sometimes eat a salad without dressing after dinner. Zero calories, yet it's still food. Or sucking on ice cubes might help. I made fresh raspberry and blueberry puree and froze it in an ice cube tray. If I MUST eat something before bed, these are low calorie and pretty satisfying to me. I also snack on dried Korean style seaweed too, which is low calorie. Or I eat my Adora dark chocolate calcium medallion. You could also bite your nails or chew gum lol. But really, warm drinks really work for me.

Warm drinks have really worked for me. I used to drink green tea with some cinnamon and initially a little honey. Later I left out the honey now I don't really "need" it anymore. I think my hunger was a conditioning of being used to snacking. It took about 2-3 weeks of being consistent to change my habit.

Now obviously everybody is different but at least this gives you an option, something to try. :-)
    Good luck!
  • super_jade
    Options
    Brush your teeth really well and then you wont want to eat!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    If you aren't eating much during the day then you should have plenty of cals left to eat at night.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Change you intake schedule so you are eating the majority of your calories in the evening if that is when you are feeling the most hungry. Meal Frequency has no bearing as long as you are getting in your required calories on any given day.... Best of Luck
  • LoseWithLaurie
    LoseWithLaurie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Change you intake schedule so you are eating the majority of your calories in the evening if that is when you are feeling the most hungry. Meal Frequency has no bearing as long as you are getting in your required calories on any given day.... Best of Luck

THIS!!!!! I'm pretty sure this guy knows what he's talking about by now:)

I eat a lot in the evening and snack before bed nightly. I feed my body when it's hungry, not when someone else tells me I should be hungry...and it's working:)