What makes a great 5K

Options
I need idea and suggestion for organizing a 5K. I work in a nursing home and every year we do the Walk for Memory to raise awaress and fund for the Alzheimer Association. So this year instead of doing the regular fundraising event (bake sale, etc.. ) I have decided to organize a 5K to raise fund. Exercise as been proven to be the only thing you can do to prevent, or reduce your chance of developing dementia and Alzheimer disease, so what better way to promote fitness and raise money.

The event would take place in the spring, I need to know for you what makes a great 5K?

Thanks!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Find a course that's not boring. I've liked the trail runs I've run. If you do a street run, try to make it so people are on the streets to cheer.

Keep the pre-run waiting time fun with music. Have it somewhere where there's stuff for spectators to do during the run, I know my husband always appreciates it when there's a playground nearby so it's easier to keep the kids occupied.
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    anything else? anybody?
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Kids playground, music you can organize local artists and dancers.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Get sponsors who can give out prizes and samples after the race. Usually if there is food at the finish line it's a fun race for me!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Good sponsors, good food at the end, a race that starts on time, a good course (not too many turns), lots of water stations, activity booths for kids (face painting, balloon animals, that sort of thing) and make sure it's timed. Good organization is key.
  • carblover79
    Options
    I always find that the "fun" runs are the best because it is out of the ordinary. I have done mud runs twice and am doing a SuperHero Dash in October. If you do decide on an ordinary 5k, music, cheering sections, volunteers, and excellent organization all seem to make the time go faster and the run more enjoyable.
  • cherilannhall
    cherilannhall Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did my first Color run in August. At first i didn't think I was going to want anyone throwing color at me but let me tell you by the end I was loving it. The more color the better. Also lots of water stations along the way. Must be timed and fruit at the end was a wonderful surprise. They also gave us the pull string backpack type bags in the beginning that had fun things like a cheapy pair of sunglasses, protein bar, a bag of the color chalk to throw before the race for a group picture. I stuck my bottle of water in the pack strapped in on and wore it during the 5K. I had a blast.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Measure the course accurately. For a new, local race you don't need to certify it (though that would be nice and could draw some commited racers) but a course measured with a car or footpod won't be accurate enough.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    An interesting course that is well-marked, plenty of available water (for a 5 K I don't think you need more than one or two stops and the finish with water, but make sure there *is* available water), a fun atmosphere at the start/finish, plenty of volunteers to make sure people don't go off course, etc. and accurate timing if you are timing the event.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Measure the course accurately. For a new, local race you don't need to certify it (though that would be nice and could draw some commited racers) but a course measured with a car or footpod won't be accurate enough.

Absolutely this. In addition to accurate measurement is accurate timing.
  • Tw1zzler
    Options
    I think you do need good timing and good sponsors. I also like having a photographer there. I like to keep a pic w/ my race bib... A clever t-shirt helps too... A fave race of mine here serves pancakes & bacon afterwards, donated by a local restaurant to support the cause. I also like an interesting course. A city park here has races that go through trees and along a lake. But honestly if I like the cause I am more likely to sign up. Bands or music can be fun too.

My old gym helped organize a small race here to benefit a cancer victim and someone managed to get a local TV celebrity to donate time and help promote the race. It ended up being much larger than we thought. We ran through a neighborhood and people came outside of their homes to cheer us on, its was a lot of fun.

Definitely water stops... usually 2.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Totally agreed with the others who have said an accurately laid out course (that is actually 5 km!) and accurate timing; those are the basics. People definitely like getting a fun race T; those shouldn't be too difficult to get made up and (I think) they're pretty much expected with a typical registration fee. Making sure that the course is clearly marked and marshaled to avoid any confusion; for a 5K, I'd say one water station is fine, though you could get bonus points for two. The most fun part of a 5K "fun run" is having other people around, so make sure you get the word out however you can to attract more runners; reach out to a local running store to see if they can help you organize and publicize. At the finish line, definitely have water, bananas, bagels and the like; and medals/prizes for top finishers is a nice touch.

Best of luck!
  • erichunley
    erichunley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Get with your local running club. They can give you ideas and may even be available for timing the event and designing the course.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    The accuracy of the course is huge. And honestly, have a good shirt to give away for the runners. Tech shirt with a design that appeals to both men and women. Some runners will sign up just to get the shirt.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I'm a race timer, and I agree with all these comments -- you have to get the basics right. But even if you do that, the next tough thing is getting people to show up at your event. You need to market like crazy. Set up a facebook page, update it regularly. Get with community groups, find great sponsors that will help you promote the event. Work with schools and churches to start up couch-to-5k groups.

It also helps to have some kind of fun gimmick to hook people in. Maybe you do a "skirt chaser" event where the women get a 2-minute head start and there's a special award if a man still crosses the line first. Or do a night run, with glow sticks.

I've seen a lot of races that just fizzle out because there isn't enough attention to marketing the event. Whatever you can do to get word out in advance and get people excited about the event will help you get lots of runners to show up. Then if you run the event well, you'll get even more runners the following year.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You got a lot of great advice. Advertise like crazy for sure. Create an event on facebook. Have a website, etc... Nice shirts even tech shirts are great. Cost is one thing. In my area most are 25 dollars some are 20. The 30 dollar ones have to have something special to them for me as I find it kinda high. Prices of course depend on the area. I like an interesting course. Not too much "out and back" stuff. Make sure the course is well marked. Water stations( 1 or 2) are great and I really appreciate when the miles are marked(a big 1 mile and 2 mile and 3 mile sign). I thought some of these things were the norm until I did one. Be sure to offer prizes for age groups and male and female. Also, get sponsors to off set the costs and to provide food. Some races I do have the "bibs" that have the name of the race on it. I find I really like that as its a souvenir. Other races have a generic bib and that goes in the garbage. I really like it when there are people cheering on each corner. Music before the race is also good. The largest 5ks I've done have gone on for years. So, your first one might not be that big but it will grow year to year.
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your great suggestion! I am really excited about this and really hope it will work well. I have a really good team to support me and I will contact my local running club for help. Thanks!!!!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    One more thing....please find a way to have cold or at least cooler water. I just did a color run and the water was hot, I mean hot enough to brew tea.

Oh and as others have said, make it fun and silly and you'll get an amazing crowd.
    Talk to every local business big or small, the donations will roll in once you get that first one. An the bank manager where you have your personal and business account if they due sponsorships, lots of time they'll set up a water booth and give you volunteers.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    WATER & COLD BEER at the finish line !:drinker:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    A reasonable entry fee, or a lower fee if you don't get the t-shirt. I'd rather pay $10 for a race than $25 and get a "free" tshirt. Or even different swag than a tshirt, like a hat or mug.

Good post-race snacks. I'm happiest if there's Gatorade and donuts instead of water and bananas, because post-race is the only time I splurge on donuts. :laugh: