Dance workout dvd suggestions

Options
Hi,
Can anyone please suggest some dance workouts other than Zumba? Preferably something non Latin?
Need something fun for cardio. Nothing against Latin themes, just getting bored of them.

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Vanessa Isaac rocks for Brazilian dancing! I know Brazilian is still Latino, but it has awesome African roots. Her DVDs are fun and wonderful.

Bellydance is incredible, but I'm not sure of beginning DVDs for instruction because I took classes. Darshan's DVD might be considered beginner. It's certainly great. The dance part is more about learning a dance, though, so it's not like Zumba. YMMV as far as having it be cardio. There are probably specific bellydance cardio DVDs, so check that out if you want a new, fun dance style!

Dance With Me Ballet Workout is nice, but it might not be cardio like you want. That's one of my favorite DVDs in general, but it's kind of more dance-y and toning than meant to be a cardio workout itself. A lot of the dance DVDs are slower than what would be good cardio for a lot of fit folks.
  • EmpressOrange
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions cafeaulait7 !
    I'll definitely check out the Vanessa Issac workout, just Youtubed her and it looks fun.
    Skipping the ballet workout because I do a lot of pilates and it's somewhat similar.
    Belly dancing is awesome, so graceful and controlled. I would love to also take belly dance lessons, but unfortunately no time. I used to have a bunch of belly dance workouts/lessons on dvd of Veena and Neena (belly dancing twins), and enjoyed doing them but mostly as a warm up before cardio or pilates. Pretty difficult to learn that dance off a dvd, and they ran out of basic moves pretty fast :)

I think I should probably look more into dancey aerobics or something, Doesn't seem like there are a lot of dance workouts other than Zumba .
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend Billy Blanks JR workouts....he makes it super fun it doesn't seem like so much work cuz you are laughing as you go and you sweat your butt off so burns a ton of calories :) Or Madonna Grimes....she is an excellent dancer and teacher and she is a sweetheart as a person in general she has latin ones but she also has hip hop and other ones that are excellent also. If you are a more advanced type of dancer I would say try Breakin it Down with Laurie Ann Gibson-she directed the movie Honey....that one is hard very hard for me but is a great workout and would be enjoyable for someone that really likes dancing.
  • EmpressOrange
    Options
    Thank you sc_smiles!
    Will check those out too
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Thully
    Options
    This week I bought Body Gospel and its actually fun. I also wanted something different from Zumba.
  • miss_holly01
    miss_holly01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Can anybody reccomend any free ones that can be found on YouTube?
  • EmpressOrange
    Options
    If anyone is still interested, look up "Ministry of Sound Pump It Up" series. Really gets you jumping, fun, and no Latin rhythms.