Wits end!!

Options
Hi,
I've gained 40 kilos in two years. I've had every test going by my doctor, have been to alternative therapies, have been to dieticians and have had personal trainers - not ONE thing worked. And I'm STILL gaining the weight!! I'm very active, I don't eat junk, I eat 1300 calories a day and I don't eat sugary food or drinks. The dietician even said that if she was to see my diet plan without seeing me she'd guess it's an athletic person. I'm now 94kg and I despise it. My family and my partner's family all mention it like I'm doing something wrong but I'm honestly not. I cannot be more active as I run a day care and I'm constantly moving and dancing and don't sit still, the kids sometimes even eat more than what I do. If anyone can please, please help me as I have no idea what to do or where to go for advice. I got told by a two year old today that I was pregnant and when I said I wasn't she replied with 'But you're fat.'

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    maybe you are eating more than you think.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me likely not enough to eat. You sound like you are burning off the entire 1300 you eat, and that's going to give you really bad time with adaptive thermogenesis, as your body struggles to avoid starvation it will resist giving up the pounds.

Also, you could be accumulating huge amounts of water, due to illness or diet. I would get to a doctor quickly to make sure that it's not water and that you don't have something else going on, like kidney or liver disease. Our bodies react to what we do to them and the illnesses inside. Gaining weight is a sign of illness if you're only eating 1300 calories a day and going as hard as you say.

I would get it checked out soon! So many diseases are more easily treated when detected early, and yet we wait until things are emergency status to seek help. Don't wait!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness. If you are not losing weight, there is a miscalculation somewhere along the line. Do you log accurately? Do you weigh everything? It looks like you have been on MFP for awhile, what did you do last time?
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. My only suggestion, don't just stick with one doctor while trying to figure this out, always get 2-3 opinions when things are really strange with your body and you know that they are. Hang in there and I hope that you have some closure about what is going on soon so that you can address the issue. I say all of this assuming that you are a halfway intelligent person who knows their body and behaviors somewhat well and that the weight gain you speak of is extremely unusual or unlikely given your daily routine.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    1300 is no where near enough calories for someone who weighs 94kg. Eat More.
  • bob_day
    Options
    Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Eat mostly to get the nutrition your body needs, and less for enjoyment. Establish a healthful diet and learn to enjoy healthful foods, and make eating less a part of your life.

2) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

3) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

4) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber.

5) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.1 kg accuracy scale. Your weight will fluctuate, but with a constant diet it should trend down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.1 kg accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

6) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

7) Get as much daily exercise as you can.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Eat mostly to get the nutrition your body needs, and less for enjoyment. Establish a healthful diet and learn to enjoy healthful foods, and make eating less a part of your life.

2) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

3) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

4) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber.

5) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.1 kg accuracy scale. Your weight will fluctuate, but with a constant diet it should trend down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.1 kg accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

6) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

7) Get as much daily exercise as you can.

Nope.
  • bird
    bird Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions.
    I have been to a few doctors and they've been so helpful but no one can explain why! Bob_day, thank you for your post but I do follow that already and unfortunately it's not working. I have also discussed with a few drs could it be that I'm eating too few calories but all have said not to be ridiculous (one even put it so bluntly as to say that anorexics aren't fat are they? She was trying to cheer me up))
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions.
    I have been to a few doctors and they've been so helpful but no one can explain why! Bob_day, thank you for your post but I do follow that already and unfortunately it's not working. I have also discussed with a few drs could it be that I'm eating too few calories but all have said not to be ridiculous (one even put it so bluntly as to say that anorexics aren't fat are they? She was trying to cheer me up))

I tend to agree. Unless you have some major medical condition that all the doctors have missed it would be virtually impossible to maintain your current weight or keep gaining on 1300 calories a day. My feeling is that somewhere along the way you're miscalculating? Are you recording every bite that crosses your lips and doing it by weighing/measuring your food? Counting the cookie left over from the kids snack, the taste while cooking, the cream and sugar in coffee, etc? Binging some days and under eating others? There are very few special snowflakes out there that have a metabolism much different than the rest of the population so those numbers just don't add up.