Replies

• needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I will try. but this week I'm busy
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    looking at your picture, id say you are around 20% bodyfat. You will start seeing your abs once you get to around 12%, and better under 10%. So, lose approx 10-15 kgs.
    Agree. Males abs start to usually appear at around 15% and you're not near that yet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • needernt
    Options
    looking at your picture, id say you are around 20% bodyfat. You will start seeing your abs once you get to around 12%, and better under 10%. So, lose approx 10-15 kgs.
    Agree. Males abs start to usually appear at around 15% and you're not near that yet.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    What about women?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What about women?

It depends, I'm at 20.3% and they are starting to poke out
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Are you sure?
    20% is too high. I don't look like that much.
    I am 179 cm and 77. I am not going to loose 10 kg. Then I would be no more than skin and bones.

I know you don't want to hear this but you are at least 20% BF still. I am at about 14.5% and the only place I have any fat left is on my stomach and love handles. Just got to keep cutting. You'll start to see your abs around 15% but it will take lower than 12% to have any definition. Keep plugging along, and good luck!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    OP could be a few pounds and a clipper pass away from seeing some abs, if his body is ready to get rid of the belly fat. If not, yeah could be looking at dropping to 160 or lower. May just not have much muscle on that frame.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    What about women?
    Just under 20%

IDEA Fitness member
  • ggamb
    Options
    To get "cut" abs, your body fat % is going to have to be really low, so low that it's not healthy to sustain unless you're naturally this way.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Too true. My eldest son has those kind of cut, J. Crew model abs. But his highest BMI ever was 19 and does situps every day (no other formal exercise darn his little eyes). He's just always been very, very slim and, at 25, still is.
  • needernt
    Options
    To get "cut" abs, your body fat % is going to have to be really low, so low that it's not healthy to sustain unless you're naturally this way.
    That means if I am in 20%, I'm in healthy fat range with love handles and I should preserve them.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    That means if I am in 20%, I'm in healthy fat range with love handles and I should preserve them.

You will not be in an unhealthy BF% range to see a nice set of abs. If this was the case most athletes would be considered unhealthy. If you get your BF% down to around 12% or so you should have a nice set of abs considering there is ab muscle there to show in the first place. Remember just because you get your BF% down doesn't automatically assure nice "cut" abs, the muscle has to actually be there.