HIIT before or after steady state cardio?

Options
I am currently doing 45 minutes steady cardio on my bike and then straight after doing 10 minutes HIIT with a skipping rope. I am doing this pretty much every day!
Am I doing this in the correct order?
What are the pros and cons of both?

Thanks

Replies

• tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I would go with steady state cardio after the HIT portion of your workouts. You want to be able to go strong during the HIT session.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You're gonna need all the energy you have to get through a good HIIT work out.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    I would do the HIIT first! :flowerforyou:
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    HIIT first. There is a theory that a 5-10 min break after the hiit followed by your steady pace cardio gives you the best results from the extended time workout. I just do the HIIT after weight training, no marathon plans for me so never more than 70 min a week spent on the treadmill. But I respect the stress relief a good run (or walk) can provide.

happy training
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I also do my HIIT first, mostly for the same reason as GymGypsy; you'll have better performance in your HIIT session if it comes first. But for me there's a psychological reason too--the 30 minutes of steady state cardio I do just seems like a piece of cake after the HIIT. It's a relief to be able to just crank away and listen to tunes and not have to do those bursts of all out effort. I think if it were the other way around I'd find that first 30 minutes of steady work more like torture, knowing that the hard stuff was yet to come.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    You can do BOTH throughout

IE: Steady state cardio for 3 minutes, followed by HIIT for 30 seconds and continue (or even a shorter recovery period)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've been told HIIT first, a few minute break, then as much steady state cardio as you like for best results.
  • spiderjeremy2000
    spiderjeremy2000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    HIIT first. There is a theory that a 5-10 min break after the hiit followed by your steady pace cardio gives you the best results from the extended time workout. I just do the HIIT after weight training, no marathon plans for me so never more than 70 min a week spent on the treadmill. But I respect the stress relief a good run (or walk) can provide.

happy training

happy training

• spiderjeremy2000
    Options

happy training
    I've been told HIIT first, a few minute break, then as much steady state cardio as you like for best results.

• spiderjeremy2000
    Options
    Hi I have a really important question to ask. When you finish hiit then rest for 5-10 minutes before your steady state cardio, how do you "rest" (standing? Sit? Walk?) please get back to me asap:)
  • ludds
    ludds Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I always do active rest, a very slow light jog on the spot or some static squats. Sometimes when I'm really dying the active rest is me collapsed on the floor writhing in pain.