Conquering quitting smoking & losing weight simultaneously?

Options
Anyone? Thoughts please?!

Replies

• ButterflyDame
    ButterflyDame Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm doing it :) stopped 10 days ago. Hard to do but I'm feeling the benefits already :) do it!
  • carole248
    carole248 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did it... nearly 3 months now. Replaced smoking with excersise
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I did it...and I'm smoke free for about 20 months now...

Use your improved lung function as motivation to increase your exercise (it helps cravings a lot)....also drink TONS of water.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your amazing feedback! Great job to all...you should be proud! This gives me some much needed assurance!!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'd hate to be around you. LOL. Just kidding, and good luck. :smile:
    I did it... nearly 3 months now. Replaced smoking with excersise

*claps* That's amazing! :flowerforyou: What a difference. From smoking to exercising. I bet your body loves that.
  • JustSammi
    Options
    I'm at the 6 week mark for quitting smoking now. Chose an eCigarette to minimise risk of food cravings. It's been great for me! Eventually I'll cut down on the eCig too and stop all together but for now, one goal at a time is fine with me. I can still enjoy smoking without harming my body in the meantime. :happy:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, marked my 1 year anniversary of being smoke free and getting my **** together in general. On September 25, 2012 I quit smoking and haven't had a smoke since...I've lost 40 Lbs since then as well.

A year ago yesterday, I was a 2-3 PAD smoker who weighed 220 Lbs and could barely walk around the block without needing a good hours rest afterwards. Picking up my baby pretty much constituted heavy lifting for me. One year later, a 3 mile run is just a maintenance run and is as ordinary as brushing my teeth...15 miles in the saddle of my bike is just for ****s and giggles. Today I can lift my 3 y.o. and my baby together with one arm and press them over my head. Today I weigh 180 Lbs and can dead 1.5 times my body weight straight off the floor (working towards twice my BW) and squat 1.5 times my body weight.

Today I am so much more awesome than I was on this day last year, and tomorrow I will be so much more awesome than I am today. On this day next year, I will look back and say, "that was nothing...look at me now." Just put one foot in front of the other and go be more awesome...
  • mkmerrill
    mkmerrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I feel like you just have to quit cold turkey...then workout and get endorphins. Really worth it. GET HEALTHY
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Different people can have different levels of difficulty quitting smoking (or dieting for that matter).

Nicotine, like most foods, causes your blood sugar level to rise. Thus, you may feel more energetic, if you haven't overeaten, sending the lion's share of your blood thru the intestines (like that sleepy feeling after a big thanksgiving dinner, yep tryptophan is a small part of that).

Nicotine also increases the nerve connection chemicals (e.g. acetylcholine), making for stronger nerve innervation. Thus, you may feel more energetic from this affect of nicotine.

Quitting smoking may cause you to feel less energetic, and yearning for that "rush" that nicotine gives you.

If you find it too difficult to both diet and quit nicotine, I'd recommend you try the patches or the commit pills. They work wonders for a lot of people who have difficulty with the physical addiction to the nicotine. That way, you can "ease into" the withdrawal of nicotine from your system, instead of the more difficult "cold turkey". Also, you will not have all the other chemicals in cigarettes that are detrimental to the body (e.g. tar in the lungs), while "easing" off of the physical addiction.

Danger......you transfer your nicotine source from cigarettes to the patches/pills, which are slightly more expensive than the cigarettes themselves, but at least you're not coughing up a storm from all the tars and such.

Good luck!
  • walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I also did it . been smoke free for 1.5 years and have lost almost 70lbs in the 7 months. Takes a lot of dedication and will power good luck to you.
  • rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to exercise as a penance for smoking. In 2006, I changed my thinking to say 'no exercise if you smoke'. Specifically, training for my first 12k run.
    I would not fuss the weight until the first 3 months are up, but concentrate on switching your addiction to exercise endorphins.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone !! I greatly appreciate learning about your experiences...I know they'll be very helpful!
  • Lotus1026
    Options
    ive been smoke free for a about a yr and a half and unfort. i gained about 20lb. i cant really say it was from replacing cigs w food i know i was in control the whole time but i have a huge journey to loose the weight i gained and plus some. just do what some other said find a HEALTHY substitute sooner then later. great job at wanting to quit!!!!!!!!! add me if youd like :)
  • melanelson
    melanelson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking over 6 months ago and I just hit my 20 lbs lost mark since I quit. I replaced cigarettes with running, worked like a charm. I smoked for over 14 years.