Pushing Through & Getting your mind right

Options
What do you use to push through when you are exercising? I am re-starting after being off the wagon for about a year. I bought an elliptical but find myself out of breath-lungs burning-legs feel like they are gonna fall off after just 5 minutes.. What do you use to get through when you are exercising?

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I have an internal football coach berating me for being a pathetic excuse of human excrement.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Someone told me this years ago and I thought it was the most ridiculous advice on weight loss I had every received:

"When you are ready to lose weight - you will do what it takes."

That happened to me about 15 months ago. I get up and do it every day. NO excuses. When you are ready you will just do it, too.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Someone told me this years ago and I thought it was the most ridiculous advice on weight loss I had every received:

"When you are ready to lose weight - you will do what it takes."

That happened to me about 15 months ago. I get up and do it every day. NO excuses. When you are ready you will just do it, too.

Pretty much this.

Once you decide that you want it and you are willing to work for it, it becomes much easier to eat at a deficit and exercise. Of course, everyone has off days, but overall, it doesn't seem like a chore.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I look at the calories I have burned - I use the ones at the gym so maybe more techy but I look at my calories, I do 4 minutes forward giving it some then 1 backward about half the speed at least 4 times if I have the time to spare I say at least because I get my 20 minutes in then set a calorie goal eg at 157 I will carry on til 200. If I am really done in or short of time I won't get off until I have burned a 2 finger kitkat (107calories) at least.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Determination not motivation. If you don't do it you only let yourself down, or slow down your own journey. Set a time, set an activity, and do it.

When I started I'd say 'I'll go to the next hundred calories on the machine' then I got there and it was at a weird portion of a mile so I'd say 'I'll get to 2 miles' and then when I got there I'd be at something like 284 cals so I'd say 'oh I may as well keep going until I hit 300 cals' etc...

or set yourself a time target 'I'll do it for 10 minutes' then when you get there think 'hm. I don't feel too bad. I'll walk for 2 then do another 5' or whatever.

You can do it!
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that I'm not really going to die, it just feels that way, and also that change won't come from staying comfortable.

I know it sounds silly, but when I exercise I have a lot of Jillian Michael's little sayings running through my head and sayings I've seen on motivational workout pics.

My favorite one is:

"If you're not puking, passed out or dead, KEEP GOING!"
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    First, and most importantly, find something you LIKE if not LOVE to do. It makes exercising MUCH much easier. Secondly, I constantly remind myself that I'm doing something good, that I'm proud of myself for taking such good care and making good healthy choices. I remind myself of how I feel afterwards, how I'm going to look, how I'm taking this small step today towards my goals.

It's just keeping your eye on the ball and realizing that this small step today, this hour of exercise, is building the road to your final goal.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Start slower. If 5 minutes is too much then try 4 minutes. Do something else then come back and do another 4 minutes. You want to push yourself, but not to the point where you never want to exercise again. In my mind exercising, like my diet, needs to be sustainable. Find something you enjoy doing.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Four words - Rage Against The Machine
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    What works for me may not work for you. You might try a few things before you decide what works best for you. Here are some things I would try:
    -try working out with a partner for some of your workouts to vary it up
    -put together a new playlist to listen to during your workout
    -write down your goal or intention for each session on the eliptical, 1 min work/30 sec recovery repeated 10 times, or go one minute longer than the last session, etc
    -try doing a few minutes on the elliptical, then do 10 pushups or something, then back on the elliptical. In other words, change it up.
    -write down a few mantras and post them near or on the elliptical. When you get tired, read them, say them, repeat.
    -when you are done with each session, acknowledge the accomplishment you've just made! Be proud of yourself!
  • quiltchickie
    quiltchickie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking about the jeans sitting in my closet and how badly do I want to wear them again.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Four words - Rage Against The Machine

^^This! And a little Saliva helps.....the band! Turn up the music and carry on........
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Take a break, then get back to it. Rinse and repeat when necessary.
  • DannyPeligro
    DannyPeligro Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Start slower. If 5 minutes is too much then try 4 minutes. Do something else then come back and do another 4 minutes. You want to push yourself, but not to the point where you never want to exercise again. In my mind exercising, like my diet, needs to be sustainable. Find something you enjoy doing.

I agree with this advice. You don't have to push yourself to the limit in every session to see an improvement. If you find you can't go more than 5 minutes, then just stop and have a rest.